New Giant eBike app to replace RideControl

iskjone

Description is in Spanish ...
"
RideControl App: Giant reacts to user discontent and promises a new app
Posted at 17: 59h in News 11 Jun 2020 5 Comments
"Go disaster". "What a joke, a product at this price!" "Of the worst". "By making such good bikes, you should also offer the right App." There is no way the Giant RideControl app will get good referrals. And those who hold these critical opinions are the users of the application, who make it unequivocally clear on the Google Play Store. It fits perfectly with a comment made by the developers themselves when explaining the latest version of the App, and says like this: “Oops! We made a small mistake in the last update.

Completely new RideControl announced
In this situation, we contacted Giant directly and wanted to know the following: Is the manufacturer aware of this type of conversation by cyclists? Can Giant come to understand their needs? Is Giant working on the corresponding improvements? And lo and behold, Giant's Product Management Department answered our questions immediately, and in full detail. In his reply, the most relevant message was that in a few weeks Giant will launch a completely new application. New name. New developers. More features. Additional interfaces.

App Detail E-Bike Giant RideControl
Until now, even connecting to the e-bike has been causing problems for RideControl users.

For users, this will sound really promising. In any case, it is clear that Giant is taking a big step forward. Equivalent to this step must have been the pressure suffered within the walls of Giant, otherwise we would not get this type of response from the manufacturer. It is understood that the company has been aware of customer criticism and has taken it "very seriously". Conversations between Giant's development team and third-party service providers failed to meet customer and Giant demands.

Interesting changes for cyclists
With the help of a new partner, Giant hopes to make fundamental improvements. Furthermore, Taiwanese are increasing their own resources and are likely to take into account the needs of European E-Bikers. As a result, the new app should be more modern and work more stably. Things can be implemented that were not possible in the previous cooperation. These include "fantastic interfaces for external applications, very popular with e-bike riders."

The structure of the Giant group, which has numerous subsidiaries, also appears to have slowed down the making of updates to the previous RideControl in Europe. In response to our inquiry, Giant's product management department confirmed that decisions made in Taiwan "were not too conditioned" by European influence.

Accurate measurement and navigation
Some details of the new remedy seem to be already secured. Many users report in the Google Play Store, for example, that the kilometers traveled do not correspond too much with the readings of other on-board computers or tracking applications. Giant argues that the cause of the problem is an incorrect addition of the GPS and Bluetooth signals. This will work perfectly in the future. Good results are also expected in terms of recording the route via GPS. With the current App, many users consider it cumbersome and partly incorrect. The new application will offer much better results thanks to the interface of one of the largest navigation applications in Germany. The first version is expected to be released in the summer, although it does not yet include all the final features.

With E-Bikes Giant hiking through the forest
Hopefully going on tour with the Giant RideControl will be more fun soon

It is still a little while until all this happens. Meanwhile, Giant strongly recommends updating the RideControl to version 1.4.4, which offers bug fixes in Push Assist and Smart Assist auto mode. If you have problems connecting your smartphone and bicycle, you will have to continue to be patient. The responsible server, which is located in Taiwan, has been crashing several times lately. Assuming that at some point everything will work well in Asia, it will be of relevant importance that users use a stable internet connection and ideally have the battery of the electric bicycle sufficiently charged. Also, the screen should not switch to Standby mode during pairing."
/Google translate/

Just for perspective, back in May 2018 giant was advertising the ride control app but it wasn't released untill Sept 2018 - with problems from day 1...

Don't hold your breath.

The newest version appears to be the best one for me but I may see a slight change in battery level with version 1.4.5 . Up till now I was confident I could get 65+ miles on one charge in normal local terrain but that's not Mtn. eBiking. Mostly paved road, maintained dirt/woods trails and gravel road/carriage roads. I really don't know if that has changed much.

What I would like to see in the new app:

- cadence and speed that work without freezing
- ability to export gpx files
- ability to link my heart monitor
- corresponding website where my ride history is stored
- battery indicator
- ability to adjust assist levels
- mapping/routes function

In essence I would like one go-to app instead of using the 2 or 3 that I do now.

Reactions: CSH
do people actually have the giant app...? when i try to download it on appstore its in spanish...? When i got my giant road e+2 bike, i scanned the qr code so i can download the app and a pop up came up saying 'its not available in my region' ....? Very, very much confused here..

do people actually have the giant app...? when i try to download it on appstore its in spanish...? When i got my giant road e+2 bike, i scanned the qr code so i can download the app and a pop up came up saying 'its not available in my region' ....? Very, very much confused here..
Where are you based? Here's the links I see :

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GiantGroup.app.RideControl2

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ridecontrol-app/id1536111825

looks like i downloaded it but forgot to actually sync it with the bike -_-

so basically, this app just tracks your mileage etc and sends it to the cloud? no real other features from what i can see?

Pretty much. It acts as your screen displaying speed, etc if you have a model without the EVO display.

It also let's you adjust each assist level and shows info about battery health, charge cycles, etc.

Back