New England eMTBers?

LimboJim

Region
USA
I'm grateful that mountain bikers have managed to gain access to public land despite objections from hikers, equestrians and other "non-mechanical" trail users over the past few decades. I respect the effort and collaboration that went into the current situation.

In concerted and persistent efforts to ban eMTBs on MTB-legal trails since 2013, however, the New England Mtn Bike Assn (NEMBA) has lobbied public land managers, state officials, and most recently, bike shops. They have posted several well written but somewhat exaggerated statements about relegating eMTBs to ATV-legal trails, where we can breathe exhaust fumes as dirtbikes and quads zip past.

In late 2013, NEMBA's Board of Directors voted to support the following position about power-assisted bicycles, also known as electric bikes or e-MTBs: “The recreational use of electric and power-assisted bicycles, ORVs or ATVs on natural surface trails should be managed using the same guidelines and policies as other motorized vehicles.”

In 2015, the Int'l Mtn Bike Assn (IMBA) conducted a soil displacement comparison study between MTBs and eMTBs, and "...found that the impacts from Class 1 eMTBs and traditional mountain bicycles were not significantly different, while motorcycles led to much greater soil displacement and erosion."

NEMBA's response: "OPEN LETTER TO IMBA ABOUT WILDERNESS, THE SUSTAINABLE TRAILS COALITION AND E-MTBS." The key paragraph in that one: "NEMBA strongly disagrees that e-MTBs should be given their own recreational category on public, natural surface trail systems. We urge IMBA to reaffirm its 2010 position that mountain biking is a human-powered, non-motorized form of recreation and that e-bikes are a form of motorized recreation..."

In 2016, they posted a couple more times, continuing to hammer home their "motor + bike = MOTORBIKE" motif:
- NEMBA GUIDANCE TO LAND MANAGERS REGARDING THE ELECTRIC, POWER-ASSIST BIKES ON TRAILS
- WHERE CAN ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKES BE RIDDEN IN NEW ENGLAND

And in early April 2018: NEMBA GUIDANCE TO NEW ENGLAND BICYCLES DEALERS REGARDING THE ISSUE OF ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKES. Here, they're telling bike shops - using 10,000+ words, it seems - to sell eMTBs at their own peril (Biker Backlash"), and if they do, they should tell buyers that they're "illegal" to ride on MTB singletrack, pretty much all public land, etc...

At this stage, most shops in my area aren't getting many inquiries about eMTBs... yet. But I thought I'd check here to see if any fellow New England eMTBers might be interested in creating our own group.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 1525054218221.png
    1525054218221.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,093
I grew up in So Vt. and rode expansion chambered two strokes all over the place before there were mtb's and the only person that got mad was Mr. Ware about a half mile away from our practice track but he never did anything about it. In 80' when I got my first mtb I rode it on many of the same trails and was inspired to find new ones and by then nimbi'es had moved in and quiet was key.

I was at the first meeting of the "minds" held outside Manchester, Vt. that spawned NEMBA. In fact at that time although the concept of a NE alliance to me made the most sense, Vt. opted to start their own thing which has since been assimilated into NEMBA. What I remember most was the guy who was concerned about hunting season and made some odd statement about having horns on your helmet. It seems like he may be the CEO now?

It is just going to take some more time for it to develop there I predict. Out here in the wild west there is so much area that is uninhabited that the State, Feds and the e haters are not able to quell the rising tide and thereby peace will come as they see that e bikes are doing no harm. Also large population areas like So Cal are going bonkers for e bikes even though they are under land access restrictions they still have plenty of places to go ultimately showcasing the fact that e mtb's are not a bad thing.

No group has ever gained compromise through following the rules banning their equipment/behavior. Emtb's will be outselling mtb's in a few years and Federal Rangers have even said it's a social problem not a environmental or use problem. Emtb's will bring many more people to the sport - it's a no-brainer. IMBA is exactly right and the elitist asshats who make up a problem that does not exist will be holding back the sport and the new support ebikes will bring. I cancelled my contributions to conservation groups that support the ban on emtb's and my advice is - JUST RIDE. Ride where you want, when you want, if asked to leave - leave. Follow good trail etiquette and be a good steward of the environment.

I would certainly join a Southern Emtb group.

No group has ever gained compromise through following the rules banning their equipment/behavior. Emtb's will be outselling mtb's in a few years and Federal Rangers have even said it's a social problem not a environmental or use problem. Emtb's will bring many more people to the sport - it's a no-brainer. IMBA is exactly right and the elitist asshats who make up a problem that does not exist will be holding back the sport and the new support ebikes will bring. I cancelled my contributions to conservation groups that support the ban on emtb's and my advice is - JUST RIDE. Ride where you want, when you want, if asked to leave - leave. Follow good trail etiquette and be a good steward of the environment.

I would certainly join a Southern Emtb group.
Well put!
Btw, I haven't taken the time to read thoroughly on the subject, but regarding soil dispersion, I have a real hard time believing that ebikes are different than traditional mtbs. I would think there are exceptions to the rule on both sides. But someone who rides hard and aggressive with or without electricity, it's going to have more impact. But normal stuff, geez I just don't think there's much difference from my observations. I agree with the comment above. It's a social issue, not a use. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I half-remember when shocks started showing up on MTBs; a lot of riders said they were "cheating" and would "ruin the sport." Now (at least front) shocks are pretty much standard...

Regarding soil dispersion, one time I was behind an unassisted rider who stood to pedal hard for a steep climb. I noticed that he was tossing dirt with each stroke, whereas my Bulls allowed me to climb with a more even cadence, leaving no trace on the trail.

And so it goes...

Limbojim-are you aware of any emtb advocacy groups for NE or US? I know People for Bikes supports them but it appears to be only in a passive capacity. If not, I can’t think of anyone better suited to start one than you (in fact in practice you are pretty much already doing it). Thoughts??

Limbojim-are you aware of any emtb advocacy groups for NE or US? I know People for Bikes supports them but it appears to be only in a passive capacity. If not, I can’t think of anyone better suited to start one than you (in fact in practice you are pretty much already doing it). Thoughts??
Join me, brotha! Give me a call, I'll PM you my number...

I was involved with one of the big MTB clubs when it first started over 20 years ago. Our motto was that "it's better to ask forgiveness than permission". We did a lot of landowner visits and conversations to legitimise our bootlegged trails and for the most part it worked out.

When I ride proper MTB trails on my ebike I do so with common sense and respect for other users and the land. I don't necessarily 'respect' the no ebike rules though. I will gladly discuss at length with anyone who challenges me why an old retired guy with leukemia, kidney cancer and severe heart condition shouldn't be on 'their' trails which happen to be trails that I started 30 years ago. So far, I have been treated mostly well by people at the trailheads and many people are just interested in the bike and want to talk about how they ride. Letting a few people take a spin goes a long way towards fostering good feelings for ebikes.

Back