New ebiker. About to buy. But nothing available

mjsusa

Region
USA
Hi all!! Long time reader. New member and looking to buy.

Typing from my phone so I apologize for any typos/auto corrects

I have wanted an ebike for some time. But just never bought. We have 2 cars. Looking to down size to 1 and we have 2 motorcycles. I do not think I can sell mine, but my wife never rides, unless we ride together. So maybe down to 1.

I want an Ebike we can share. So low profile V frame. I am hoping I will enjoy it enough and find the Usefulnes/Functionality and enjoyment high enough that I will sell my motorcycle. (Possibly getting getting a second ebike in the future)

but back to our current needs …..

I am 195 lbs - 5’10” and my wife is 128lbs- 5’3”
We are expecting a child. So my goal is to be able for both of us to use the the bike and strap in a kiddo.
We are on our late/mid 30s.

goal/needs.
Commuter/fun bike/Firstbike.

I want to be able to take it on joy rides. Around the neighbor.
We work from home so no actual requirement.
However I want to start riding it to the grocery store (need something that can handle panner)
We can both easily ride.
Prefer ability to throttle and pedal assist.
rack in pack for future baby seat and Panners.
I would like to out front rack to put our 25-30lbs dog in (to go to parks further away) also we love in a very bike friendly city and would be fin to take the dog on trips.
be able to carry my weight (195lbs plus grocery’s plus a kid or dog?)
Be fun to ride
Mostly city/neighbor ri

I have done my research so far I have been shooting for value.

budget is up to around $2500 for the first bike.
Magnum metro
Magnum metro plus - they now have a V frame with 700c tires
Magnum navigator
Espin Flow 21
Ride1up 700
Aventon Level

happy to answer any other questions!
Thanks!!

updates:
By V frame I mean step through.
Bikes will be in a garage
Lice in Portland Oregon, Mostly flat but there are hills

Last edited:
Those all sound like good choices for your suggested use. Where you live is it hilly? Do you have a garage or bike shed? I ask because a friend of mine recently bought a pair of Vanmoof ebikes S3 for him, X3 for her, they have a 500wh battery built into the frame you can’t take off so the bike needs to be stored out of the weather. The X3 model has smaller 24” wheels and a front rack, they’ve bought a Yepp child seat that fixes to the seatpost as the rear rack is rated to carry 30lb. The S3 has full size 700c wheels and is suited only for taller riders.

I have yet to ride them but on first appearances they’re clean looking bikes with a display on the top tube that washes out a bit in bright sunlight. They are a bit gimmicky with a motion activated alarm, GPS tracker, ‘kick lock’ at the rear wheel hub that doesn’t replace a chain, and an automatic shifter, but the mechanical parts ought to be serviceable as they use Tektro hydraulic brakes, a Sturmey Archer 4-speed IGH with enclosed chain case, and a front hub motor with a ‘boost button’ throttle that works after you start pedaling. It might be because they bought two bikes at the same time but they received them last month within a couple of weeks of ordering. Vanmoof are a Dutch company, the bikes are made in Taiwan, currently they have 2 US stores so they sell mainly direct to customer.

Last edited:
First, congratulations on the future child!

I'm a dad-biker with a 3.5 and 1.5 year old kids. I took them on their first rides when they hit a year. I bring them on rides on a Burley trailer which they love. And we use it for everything. It can be a stroller for our walks and it can even do Costco runs. It might be something you can look into instead of putting a Thule Yepp on the rear rack. I find it safer because it is a roll-cage and the center of gravity is much lower and there are no chances of tipping over.

As for the bike choice, please let us know where you’ll be riding. Steep hills? Trails?

First, congratulations on the future child!

I'm a dad-biker with a 3.5 and 1.5 year old kids. I took them on their first rides when they hit a year. I bring them on rides on a Burley trailer which they love. And we use it for everything. It can be a stroller for our walks and it can even do Costco runs. It might be something you can look into instead of putting a Thule Yepp on the rear rack. I find it safer because it is a roll-cage and the center of gravity is much lower and there are no chances of tipping over.

As for the bike choice, please let us know where you’ll be riding. Steep hills? Trails?
:) thank you!
I will look into the Burley!
Mostly city riding with hills. I do not do any trail riding but do prefer a little beefier tires as we do have some pretty rough roads. But bike does not need to be a “trail or off road mountain bike”

I have a 700 and have no regrets. I also have some bumpy roads on some of my routes. The 2.4" wide tires on wide rims were great until they dumped heavy thick gravel on one of my main routes. I only rode over that one time, like riding on marbles, and I am taking a new route until it thins out over time. I ride mostly for exercise, and I love the independent customization of each PAS level (power percentage) and optional ranges from 0-3 to 0-9 using power based assist (not speed based like a cruise control).

And lastly, be sure to pedal, not peddle. lol

Hi,
I live on the other side of the river across from Troutdale. I've had a few motorcycles and scooters over the years from CT90s to a Moto Guzzi V7II - rode in Alaska on a TW200 (took the ferry up and rode home), scooter rides to Glacier NP and other short tours to Idaho and Montana. Sold all except a project scooter and CT90. Nearly every time I thought of riding a motorcycle or scooter I ended up going for a bicycle ride instead. More fun and I need the exercise anyway. I listed my Yamaha PW-SE powered mid drive gravel bike for $1500 because I have too many bikes at the moment but I like it enough that I might not be able to part with it anyway. Ebikes are awesome, I live on one of the small mountains in the area and couldn't do the rides I want without one. It might be cheating on an ebike but not cheating as much as calling my wife to come get me when I couldn't make it up the mountain on my non-assist bikes. DIY is also an option and not as difficult as some on this forum pretend it to be.

I have a 21 Espin Flow, and have been very happy with it so far (bought it in March). It seems to be well-made, the rear rack is substantial, and there's also an option to have a front rack. You know that already 😁.

Espin also has the advantage of actually being available. Assembly was easy and straightforward. You do either need to have the skills to maintain/repair it yourself, or have a shop or mechanic willing to do it for you. Before I purchased mine, I called around the local shops to find out if anyone worked on ebikes they didn't sell...2 did (and my husband is a mechanical engineer/do it yourself kind of guy). So, I felt pretty confident ordering online. The only problem I've had so far is one loose spoke, that was easily tightened by my "private mechanic".

I would definitely do a trailer if I were hauling kiddos! As mentioned, the lower center of gravity (and, wider wheel base) make it more stable/safe.

Good luck, and enjoy whatever bike you choose!

With both shopping, carrying kids, and carrying a dog in front, it sounds as if you really need a stretch frame cargo bike. MTB's & cruisers with baskets & groceries on the back are too light in the front. A dog attacking the front wheel of my MTB loaded with groceries knocked me over. Plus the front wheel snapped sideways on bumps, pavement separators, piles of gravel, threw me on my chin 4 times. A cargo bike puts most of my weight on the front tire and holds it steady.
Yubabike actually has some combis in stock today, $3200. https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/kombi-e5/
They are not a cheap bike, and in 3 1/2 years & ~7000 miles, the only "defect" in my yubabike bodaboda (picture left) was the seat didn't fit me. No shifter adjustments, no spoke tightening or wheel truing. Yes replaced 1 set brake pads, 1 chain, 7 tires, broke a fender with my foot.
Yubabikes have holes in the frame to mount a basket on the front that doesn't swing with the wheel. Very useful with kids on the back & groceries or a dog carrier on the front. Look up the bread basket accessory. They also tend to be very fitted to some popular brand of child car seat on the back, and when the child grows, they sell a padded shelf & monkey bars. They come with foot rests.
You could use a bigger bodaboda $3300 but they are out of stock now. I'll yet you check stock on the spicycurry, it has a bosch mid-drive and 3 disadvantages of those 1 you require power all the time, the motor is spun with your feet unpowered 2 replacement batteries are very expensive, and being patented, are only available at list price from a bosch dealer in your area 3 Mid drives wear out chains twice or 4 times faster than hub drive bikes. I use a geared hubmotor and if the electronics short out in a heavy rain (did last week) I can pedal to destination & home (50 miles) without drag where I gave it the hair dryer repair. My first 8 speed chain lasted ~5000 miles.
There are cheap imitation cargo bikes made by rad, the radwagon, which comes with dozens of complaints of loose spokes, warped wheels, frequent adjustment of the cheap stretching control cables, broken parts made of imitation steel, blah blah blah. Read the various threads & rants. Also the radwagon 4 comes with 22" tires which are available only from Rad. Knocks you out of the trick of running knobby tires to avoid flats (as I do). I use no slime, liners, fillers, or armored tires, just $26 kenda or giant knobbies, which I change out when the knobs get low to prevent flats.
Yubas can be bought from a dealer who will provide assembly warrenty service. My nearest dealer was 2500 miles away so I bought over the internet and the bike arrived perfect in a double box. I tipped the delivery man $10 to carry the box into the back yard since I was age 68 and small besides. Add handlebars, pedals, basket, panniers, double leg stand (I recommend), ride away. The spoke shifter & brake adjustments were perfect out of the box. I don't need a car anymore.
Other competitive cargo bikes ( not junk) come from xtracycle, Kona (ute), pedego, reiss & Mueller. Magnum, m2s blix & others sell them but the "known problems" threads on those brand forums are not as short as the first group.
Happy shopping & riding.

Last edited:
$1299, in stock, 48v, 750w das kit motor, 15ah battery from Leoncycleusa.
t720.jpg

Last edited:
Espin Flow is a well equipped bike that would seem to meet your needs.
Espin says they are available to ship. I have the similar Espin Sport. Quality bike, no issues. Would fit both of you.

M,
Get serious Papa, sell those cycles before you crack your head and 1/2 paralyzed.
Then buy a great eBike for yourself because this is about you. Get fit & hard.
Mama will be busy, and you'll be starting 'second fiddle '.
Chin up, and empty your pockets Daddyo
Fatherhood is the best.
MV

:) thank you!
I will look into the Burley!
Mostly city riding with hills. I do not do any trail riding but do prefer a little beefier tires as we do have some pretty rough roads. But bike does not need to be a “trail or off road mountain bike”
M, I like the ET ln that the 500w Das Kit on my bike is strong & quite reliable. 750w would be awesome.
My NCM,( different model), has proved to be a very good bike, yet affordable, practical German engineering.
It´s been much better than my 1st ebike that cost more than twice as much. The ET looks to be a beast & a practical cargo bike as well. Not so fast as some commuters perhaps , but one you can do just about anything
in any terrain. I´m thinking of pulling the trigger myself even though my current bike serves all my needs.
Shown is the T720; The T1000 is the plus version, $1899, 21ah, hydraulic brakes, & other upgrades, probly
a better choice for those with no ebike experience.

Last edited:
I have a 700 and have no regrets. I also have some bumpy roads on some of my routes. The 2.4" wide tires on wide rims were great until they dumped heavy thick gravel on one of my main routes. I only rode over that one time, like riding on marbles, and I am taking a new route until it thins out over time. I ride mostly for exercise, and I love the independent customization of each PAS level (power percentage) and optional ranges from 0-3 to 0-9 using power based assist (not speed based like a cruise control).

Yeah, Sorry I will fix that. darn typos/autocorrects when typing from Iphone

Hi,
I live on the other side of the river across from Troutdale. I've had a few motorcycles and scooters over the years from CT90s to a Moto Guzzi V7II - rode in Alaska on a TW200 (took the ferry up and rode home), scooter rides to Glacier NP and other short tours to Idaho and Montana. Sold all except a project scooter and CT90. Nearly every time I thought of riding a motorcycle or scooter I ended up going for a bicycle ride instead. More fun and I need the exercise anyway. I listed my Yamaha PW-SE powered mid drive gravel bike for $1500 because I have too many bikes at the moment but I like it enough that I might not be able to part with it anyway. Ebikes are awesome, I live on one of the small mountains in the area and couldn't do the rides I want without one. It might be cheating on an ebike but not cheating as much as calling my wife to come get me when I couldn't make it up the mountain on my non-assist bikes. DIY is also an option and not as difficult as some on this forum pretend it to be.
yeah I have a Triumph Bonneville SE . Hard to give up!

Thanks! Hate those iPhone auto-corrects.

With both shopping, carrying kids, and carrying a dog in front, it sounds as if you really need a stretch frame cargo bike. MTB's & cruisers with baskets & groceries on the back are too light in the front. A dog attacking the front wheel of my MTB loaded with groceries knocked me over. Plus the front wheel snapped sideways on bumps, pavement separators, piles of gravel, threw me on my chin 4 times. A cargo bike puts most of my weight on the front tire and holds it steady.
Yubabike actually has some combis in stock today, $3200. https://yubabikes.com/cargobikestore/kombi-e5/
They are not a cheap bike, and in 3 1/2 years & ~7000 miles, the only "defect" in my yubabike bodaboda (picture left) was the seat didn't fit me. No shifter adjustments, no spoke tightening or wheel truing. Yes replaced 1 set brake pads, 1 chain, 7 tires, broke a fender with my foot.
Yubabikes have holes in the frame to mount a basket on the front that doesn't swing with the wheel. Very useful with kids on the back & groceries or a dog carrier on the front. Look up the bread basket accessory. They also tend to be very fitted to some popular brand of child car seat on the back, and when the child grows, they sell a padded shelf & monkey bars. They come with foot rests.
You could use a bigger bodaboda $3300 but they are out of stock now. I'll yet you check stock on the spicycurry, it has a bosch mid-drive and 3 disadvantages of those 1 you require power all the time, the motor is spun with your feet unpowered 2 replacement batteries are very expensive, and being patented, are only available at list price from a bosch dealer in your area 3 Mid drives wear out chains twice or 4 times faster than hub drive bikes. I use a geared hubmotor and if the electronics short out in a heavy rain (did last week) I can pedal to destination & home (50 miles) without drag where I gave it the hair dryer repair. My first 8 speed chain lasted ~5000 miles.
There are cheap imitation cargo bikes made by rad, the radwagon, which comes with dozens of complaints of loose spokes, warped wheels, frequent adjustment of the cheap stretching control cables, broken parts made of imitation steel, blah blah blah. Read the various threads & rants. Also the radwagon 4 comes with 22" tires which are available only from Rad. Knocks you out of the trick of running knobby tires to avoid flats (as I do). I use no slime, liners, fillers, or armored tires, just $26 kenda or giant knobbies, which I change out when the knobs get low to prevent flats.
Yubas can be bought from a dealer who will provide assembly warrenty service. My nearest dealer was 2500 miles away so I bought over the internet and the bike arrived perfect in a double box. I tipped the delivery man $10 to carry the box into the back yard since I was age 68 and small besides. Add handlebars, pedals, basket, panniers, double leg stand (I recommend), ride away. The spoke shifter & brake adjustments were perfect out of the box. I don't need a car anymore.
Other competitive cargo bikes ( not junk) come from xtracycle, Kona (ute), pedego, reiss & Mueller. Magnum, m2s blix & others sell them but the "known problems" threads on those brand forums are not as short as the first group.
Happy shopping & riding.

Yeah, one of those might be in my future. That is why I am only looking at buying 1 bike now, one either my wife or I can ride. Then maybe in the future, if we like the eBike, go for a cargo one.

Right now, I am leaning towards the Espin Flow 21

Another Espin owner. We have 2 Flows and a Sport. I beleive they make a great beginner/first bike. Nicest part is there is very little in the way of proprietary parts on them. This means they are very easily modified (e.g. seat, handlebars, tires, etc) and they can be serviced well into the future - with no fear of anyone going out of business....

Last time I checked, they were in stock, and were being offered at 100 bucks off regular price.....

Another great choice would be a Rad, anything but the City. That bike might not do well when heavily loaded or in the hills.

R1U not a bad choice either!

Another Espin owner. We have 2 Flows and a Sport. I beleive they make a great beginner/first bike. Nicest part is there is very little in the way of proprietary parts on them. This means they are very easily modified (e.g. seat, handlebars, tires, etc) and they can be serviced well into the future - with no fear of anyone going out of business....

Last time I checked, they were in stock, and were being offered at 100 bucks off regular price.....

Another great choice would be a Rad, anything but the City. That bike might not do well when heavily loaded or in the hills.

R1U not a bad choice either!
Will it haul a week´s groceries & a small child at the same time?

Back