New E-Bike Owner from Missouri

Ron in MO

Region
USA
Hi everyone! I just stopped riding motorcycles and decided to get back into cycling again to help me stay healthy as I move into my seventies. Got a great deal on a Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 and have made a few changes to make it fit me better. I've been on a few short rides getting use to all the features and controls. I'm in love already! With the power assistance I feel like a young man again.

I'm lucky enough to have a twin brother who already rides an e-bike and has done quite a few cross state trips on his. It will be nice to have someone to ride and take trips with. I also look forward to learning more from all you current owners about issues and rides to be aware of. Thanks again for accepting me into the forum and I to contribute when I can.

Attachments

• 6D0F9D43-45AD-4CE4-BE8B-ADB1CA61D2C7.jpeg
    6D0F9D43-45AD-4CE4-BE8B-ADB1CA61D2C7.jpeg
    705 KB · Views: 150
Welcome to the hobby and the site. It's a popular bike for the hobbiest.(I Grocery shop on mine, car is parked)
Wear long sleeve polyester/cotton clothing, (DIckies or Red Hat) $1 poly/cotton gloves, and a helmet with a chin guard. Fox Rampage helmet has a lot of vents and the grill keeps the bugs out of my teeth. You'll get used to the heat if you ride often enough in it, I do. Gravel never sleeps, so I fall off occasionally. Last time Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2018, broke my chin. That was on a bike without electricity at 25 mph. No road burn due to clothing mentioned, but having my jaw wired shut for Thanksgiving, Christmas & and New Year's day was a serious nuisance. Surgeon's checkup clinic only on Mondays, and Monday was Christmas & New Years that year. @)#(*+(!
Hope to get over to ride the Katy trail sometime, but my brother is still working age 67 and my college buddy is caring for his wife's parents 50 weeks a year. College buddy wants me to ride the Iowa Ragbrai with him, but too much elevation change for me, and not enough motel rooms. I burned a Bafang hub motor 2 weeks ago just trying to stay off Ind Ste Rte 3. Mac12t hill capable motor no longer sold in USA.
BTW all the exercise keeps my heart with "nothing wrong with it" according to the cardiologist. He wasted 5 heart tests and 6 trips to the hospital (4 hours each on a bus) and $7000 medicare money proving my heart raced(110 bpm) when he tested me because I was angry at him for wasting my time & govt money. I needed shoulder surgery, not heart care.

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to have a twin brother who already rides an e-bike and has done quite a few cross state trips on his. It will be nice to have someone to ride and take trips with. I also look forward to learning more from all you current owners about issues and rides to be aware of. Thanks again for accepting me into the forum and I to contribute when I can.
Ron, I'm so happy to see you with the excellent e-bike. It seems you have already equipped it, even with the rear-view mirror?

I often ride together with my first cousin (a.k.a. brother) on e-bikes. I fully understand why you might need a spare battery! Good luck in your search!

There are not many issue reports for the 2022 Vados, and I think the current version is mature.

Welcome to the hobby and the site. It's a popular bike for the hobbiest.(I Grocery shop on mine, car is parked)
Wear long sleeve polyester/cotton clothing, (DIckies or Red Hat) $1 poly/cotton gloves, and a helmet with a chin guard. Fox Rampage helmet has a lot of vents and the grill keeps the bugs out of my teeth. You'll get used to the heat if you ride often enough in it, I do. Gravel never sleeps, so I fall off occasionally. Last time Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2018, broke my chin. That was on a bike without electricity at 25 mph. No road burn due to clothing mentioned, but having my jaw wired shut for Thanksgiving, Christmas & and New Year's day was a serious nuisance. Surgeon's checkup clinic only on Mondays, and Monday was Christmas & New Years that year. @)#(*+(!
Hope to get over to ride the Katy trail sometime, but my brother is still working age 67 and my college buddy is caring for his wife's parents 50 weeks a year. College buddy wants me to ride the Iowa Ragbrai with him, but too much elevation change for me, and not enough motel rooms. I burned a Bafang hub motor 2 weeks ago just trying to stay off Ind Ste Rte 3. Mac12t hill capable motor no longer sold in USA.
BTW all the exercise keeps my heart with "nothing wrong with it" according to the cardiologist. He wasted 5 heart tests and 6 trips to the hospital (4 hours each on a bus) and $7000 medicare money proving my heart raced(110 bpm) when he tested me because I was angry at him for wasting my time & govt money. I needed shoulder surgery, not heart care.
Indianajo, I enjoyed hearing about your riding experiences and hope your health stays good now. I'll be riding a lot on the Katy Trail and many other bikeways around the St Louis area. In fact my brother and I are heading to the west side of Missouri later this month to ride the Rock Island Spur trail added on that end of the Katy Trail. Then going down to Springfield, Missouri and Bentonville, Arkansas for more riding. I've had a heart valve replaced and my aortic vein patched up, but I feel well and hope riding keeps me healthy longer. Best of luck with your rides and stay safe.

Back