New Chain & Cassette

Well here it is, 5500 kms and I just installed my 3rd casssette and chain. I am told the small (high) gear had worn out.....again. I admit I love the "Normal" mode and use it 90% of the time, but I try to shift down as often as I can. I was "schooled" today by my tech. I urged me to move to "eco" mode whenever possible and shift down. I just completed a 30 km run after the new cassette installed, tried using eco more, but boy do I miss the "Normal" mode. Its a pity that Giant can't make each gear replaceable so they can replace just the worn one. The tech admitted that they are seeing many bikes come in with the small high gear worn. They did tell me however, had I come in about 500 kms earlier, they may have been able to save the gear and just replace the chain. Perhaps I will finally get the message this time.
Moreover, you don't need to replace the entire cassette, as the smallest cogs are replaceable. Depending on the cassette, at least the two smallest ones, sometimes as many as eight. Did anybody tell you so?

And that's not Giant. That's Shimano and other cassette makers that allow replacing the small cogs that wear fast. Although it is difficult to source anything nowadays, the replacement cogs are far less expensive than the cassette.

1628276932800.png

Shimano SLX CS-M-7000-11 cassette includes as many as 8 replaceable cogs. Any bike mechanic can service the cassette.

1628277038068.png

Replacing two smallest worn cogs.

1628277274411.png

The two new cogs are clearly visible on the top of the cluster.

Last edited:
Well, thank you for that, Stephan. No the techs never mentioned this. In fact I was told outright that the cassette comes as a single unit and the gears cannot be replaced separately. Somehow I am going to get this thread directly to them. I know I have harped on this before, but I just thought fellow readers might be interested in the feedback I got from the tech, vis a vis, using eco more or at least downshifting as often as possible to reduce wear on the small sprocket. I appreciate you pointing this out.

Well, thank you for that, Stephan. No the techs never mentioned this. In fact I was told outright that the cassette comes as a single unit and the gears cannot be replaced separately. Somehow I am going to get this thread directly to them. I know I have harped on this before, but I just thought fellow readers might be interested in the feedback I got from the tech, vis a vis, using eco more or at least downshifting as often as possible to reduce wear on the small sprocket. I appreciate you pointing this out.
If the LBS won't or can't supply the separate cassette gears.... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001503535.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.15434c4dOWXJVQ
Replaced my two smallest gears once so far, but still on original chain and cassette at 6000km and bike has to haul me up 360m of fairly steep hills each day...

Back