New Chain & Cassette

Since the distance between the centres of 10 consecutive links reached 128 mm on my Trance E+ (digital calliper is very accurate!), I ordered and received a new chain. Expensive, these 12-speed ones! I regret I have not put a note when replacing the chain the last time but it could be only 1000 km since. It could be related to my riding style on that e-MTB or I don't know... Will need to replace the chain, hate this thought.

For those of you with Explorer +2 who have been plagued with "cog skip" as I have been, just had new chain & rear cassette installed ($130.00 Cdn). (4000 kms) I was amazed at the transformation. I runs better than new. It is smoother, quieter and nary a skip. Bike tech remarked that they are finding that there is so much torque generated at rear wheel, especially in the smallest gear, that they are wearing out prematurely. His advice for longer life is do not use high or smallest gear when starting out and stay off it as much as you can unless you are on a long stretch of flat smooth road. Anyway, it has solved any issues I had with the bike and I hope I am good for another 4000 kms.
Quote:"His advice for longer life is do not use high or smallest gear when starting out and stay off it as much as you can"

Your statement here is key to all of these problems which could have been avoided. This had me thinking about how I have been riding. This is exactly what I have been doing most of the time. I was forgetting to switch to a lower gear when coming to stops. Instead, upon startups, I would be putting a tremendous amount of force on 11 or 13t cog causing premature wear while the others stay more in tact. I think this is very important for all riders on this forum to know out of the gate. I have to admit I was oblivious to this and simply not giving it a thought. Perhaps put a big warning in all of the manuals of any E-bike sold! LOL. Thanks for sharing! 👍

Quote:"His advice for longer life is do not use high or smallest gear when starting out and stay off it as much as you can"

Your statement here is key to all of these problems which could have been avoided. This had me thinking about how I have been riding. This is exactly what I have been doing most of the time. I was forgetting to switch to a lower gear when coming to stops. Instead, upon startups, I would be putting a tremendous amount of force on 11 or 13t cog causing premature wear while the others stay more in tact. I think this is very important for all riders on this forum to know out of the gate. I have to admit I was oblivious to this and simply not giving it a thought. Perhaps put a big warning in all of the manuals of any E-bike sold! LOL. Thanks for sharing! 👍
Please no more warnings in the manual or on the bike.

Warnings !? You guys get warnings ??? And a manual?! :oops:
Reed: The only one thing I ask you to do to avoid "ignoring" from my side is: Buy yourself a decent e-bike then write any comments. You have been getting on my nerves for too long time with your silly comments, OK?

1615560470136.png

New chain (KMC e.12 EPT, 130 links) installed today. Odometer: 2731 km. I replace the chain at 0.6% stretch now, which happens quite frequently (it is the third chain on this Trance E+ 2 Pro, and the second chain came too late, which required replacing cassette small cogs). Now, the cassette and its cogs are in perfect shape. 122 links were used for perfect tightening the chain in all gears.

For anyone interested in chairing replacement for more teeth: As fas as I could determine, chainrings for 1x12 drivetrain are made up to 38T and nothing bigger with 104 BCD cannot be found. If you find anything bigger, I may tell you the offer comes from scammers...

Reed: The only one thing I ask you to do to avoid "ignoring" from my side is: Buy yourself a decent e-bike then write any comments. You have been getting on my nerves for too long time with your silly comments, OK?
Didn't get the joke did you Stefan?

Didn't get the joke did you Stefan?
It is a thin line between joking and appearing silly.
My mother used to name such people "jokeous" or "witteous". There's a strong nitric acid and weak nitrous acid. I hope you get what I'm saying.
We are in serious technical thread. Your jokes jeopardize the thread with off-topic.

Last edited:
I also don‘t think it can be a good idea to leave your bike parked long term in the higher or lower gears. Best to have the chain straighter and under less stress when not being used ?
A little off topic but I read that it is never a good idea to leave your dropper post in the down position during off season riding and never attach it to a bike work stand by the post as well. I like to always follow that rule as a precaution.

View attachment 81425
New chain (KMC e.12 EPT, 130 links) installed today. Odometer: 2731 km. I replace the chain at 0.6% stretch now, which happens quite frequently (it is the third chain on this Trance E+ 2 Pro, and the second chain came too late, which required replacing cassette small cogs). Now, the cassette and its cogs are in perfect shape. 122 links were used for perfect tightening the chain in all gears.

For anyone interested in chairing replacement for more teeth: As fas as I could determine, chainrings for 1x12 drivetrain are made up to 38T and nothing bigger with 104 BCD cannot be found. If you find anything bigger, I may tell you the offer comes from scammers...
I am now on my 2nd cassette (arrived today) and 2nd chain at approx the same distance ridden of 2000mls. Stephan, being on number 3 is giving me a big heads up with premature wear on components. I will try my best to follow a better regimen while riding on the small cogs especially. Good luck with your 3rd drivetrain parts.

As I put just over 6000 km on my bike since acquiring it early July 2020, chain replacement every 2000 seems appropriate to me. I totally get the concept of using the two high gears sparingly if possible; they wear fastest without a doubt.
I have formed a really bad habit of using those gears most of the time which is causing issues in the long term. When I get on straights, those are the gears of choice. Having a speed delimiter installed adds to excessive usage of both of them. Unfortunately, I cannot find cog replacements for the cassette I am currently using.

Last edited:
Well here it is, 5500 kms and I just installed my 3rd casssette and chain. I am told the small (high) gear had worn out.....again. I admit I love the "Normal" mode and use it 90% of the time, but I try to shift down as often as I can. I was "schooled" today by my tech. I urged me to move to "eco" mode whenever possible and shift down. I just completed a 30 km run after the new cassette installed, tried using eco more, but boy do I miss the "Normal" mode. Its a pity that Giant can't make each gear replaceable so they can replace just the worn one. The tech admitted that they are seeing many bikes come in with the small high gear worn. They did tell me however, had I come in about 500 kms earlier, they may have been able to save the gear and just replace the chain. Perhaps I will finally get the message this time.

Back