New carbon wheels for Creo?

Guitar dave

Has anyone found a compatible carbon wheel set for the Creo? I bought the model with the dt Swiss wheels thinking I would pick up a pair of the carbon roval’s to swap tire types (gravel and road) but apparently specialized is not offering them with the boost spacing needed, at least at this time. Any other carbon options?

What are your required specifications... Comp Cyclist has a lot of Carbon Wheelsets with Boost spacing.

Bontrager told me they would have the Aeolus with the correct hub spacing available midJune. Specialized has them on the Expert but not aftermarket yet.

I've been wanting another set of wheels for my Creo, but unfortunately the problem with using MTB Boost spacing wheels is that the front wheel on the Creo is 12 x 110 and MTB boost is 15 x 110.

I've been wanting another set of wheels for my Creo, but unfortunately the problem with using MTB Boost spacing wheels is that the front wheel on the Creo is 12 x 110 and MTB boost is 15 x 110.

So, I have also been wanting to upgrade and emailed Specialized. Here’s what they said:
Hi Nancy,

So, aftermarket wheel upgrades for the Creo is going to be tough at the moment. The Creo hub spacing is unique for a road style bike. The hubs on the Creo wheels are wider. They are 148mm wide in the rear and 110 in the front, which is consistent with modern mountain bike hub spacing. Road bikes with disc brakes currently use 142mm rear hubs and 100 front hubs. The reasoning for this spec on the Creo is that the wheels built with the wider hubs are actually stronger, which is why mountain bikes have used this design for the past 3 years. Because of the Creo being a bit heavier than a standard road bike due to the motor and battery, it was decided to spec it with the wider hub spacing to ensure strong wheels. So the C 38 wheels that are coming on the Creo Expert bike are specifically built with different hubs for those complete bike builds in comparison to the aftermarket C 38 wheels or the C 38 wheels coming stock on our Tarmacs, Roubaixs, and Diverge bikes.

So, we actually do not currently have an afermarket wheel upgrade for the Creo at this time but we might have aftermarket carbon road wheels for the 2021 model year that will be built with the hubs necessary for the Creo. I am unsure on that yet, but a couple co-workers have told me this since customers like yourself have asked for options. 2021 starts in July for us so hopefully we will have more info on potential options in July or August. The other option that exists is just to have a local bike shop build you custom wheels with carbon rims into the wider hubs that work on the Creo. That would be an immediate option. Most bike shops will have mechanics that are very skilled at building/servicing wheels and I'm sure they would be happy to help out with this if you were interested in getting it done.

Sorry that we don't have an option now for carbon wheel upgrades for your Creo but I hope that this info is helpful!

I have also contacted Trek about their Aeolus Pro 3V TLR wheels. They suggested I check back mid June bcs they are planning to come out with a build around that size hub.

I have a set of Boost 27.5 MTB wheels sitting in my garage and they have quite a narrow rim, 19 mm internal width so the rear wheel is perfect for a gravel set up. If I can't find end caps for the front to convert to 12 mm, then I'll just get a front wheel with DT Swiss hubs that allow the conversion. So that will give me a gravel set, but will have to wait longer on a fast carbon road set.

So, I have also been wanting to upgrade and emailed Specialized. Here’s what they said: Hi Nancy,
So, aftermarket wheel upgrades for the Creo is going to be tough at the moment. The Creo hub spacing is unique for a road style bike. The hubs on the Creo wheels are wider. They are 148mm wide in the rear and 110 in the front, which is consistent with modern mountain bike hub spacing. Road bikes with disc brakes currently use 142mm rear hubs and 100 front hubs. The reasoning for this spec on the Creo is that the wheels built with the wider hubs are actually stronger, which is why mountain bikes have used this design for the past 3 years. Because of the Creo being a bit heavier than a standard road bike due to the motor and battery, it was decided to spec it with the wider hub spacing to ensure strong wheels. So the C 38 wheels that are coming on the Creo Expert bike are specifically built with different hubs for those complete bike builds in comparison to the aftermarket C 38 wheels or the C 38 wheels coming stock on our Tarmacs, Roubaixs, and Diverge bikes.

So, we actually do not currently have an afermarket wheel upgrade for the Creo at this time but we might have aftermarket carbon road wheels for the 2021 model year that will be built with the hubs necessary for the Creo. I am unsure on that yet, but a couple co-workers have told me this since customers like yourself have asked for options. 2021 starts in July for us so hopefully we will have more info on potential options in July or August. The other option that exists is just to have a local bike shop build you custom wheels with carbon rims into the wider hubs that work on the Creo. That would be an immediate option. Most bike shops will have mechanics that are very skilled at building/servicing wheels and I'm sure they would be happy to help out with this if you were interested in getting it done.

Sorry that we don't have an option now for carbon wheel upgrades for your Creo but I hope that this info is helpful!
I have also contacted Trek about their Aeolus Pro 3V TLR wheels. They suggested I check back mid June bcs they are planning to come out with a build around that size hub.

A typical response from Specialized... they often go their own way without regard to considering aftermarket support.
Unfortunately, its the price you pay to get cutting edge technology from their development team... I've been there. ;)

Last edited:
Odd. To me the most natural thing is to go to a custom wheel maker for a second set. You have virtually unlimited choice. Whereas with the OEM?

This was the the only area I didn't properly research before buying the CREO Comp SL for the wife. Wife loves her existing Campagnolo Bora One Disk wheels, and I thought I was going to swap out the DT Swiss R470 on CREO Comp SL Carbon... but found out Bora's didn't fit. The other option is the DT Swiss HGC 1400 Spline Carbon Wheels, which are available in 12x110 and 12x148. And then there is the Roval C38, which Specialized doesn't want to sell aftermarket and only sells it on the Expert model... which is really annoying. I'm waiting, and hopeful, Campagnolo (or Fulcrums) make available a 12x110 and 12x148 hub version of the Bora wheels (but it maybe wishful thinking).

A lot of endless searching on google .... :) .... sent a bunch of emails to Campagnolo, Fulcrum, Mavic, etc... with no luck... :(

.... and then decided to look @ DT Swiss website since they make the R470 wheels that came stock on the Comp SL... so, i assumed that DT Swiss had to make a carbon version ... and found the HGC 1400 wheels. At least the HGC 1400 wheels comes with 240 hubs (whereas the Roval C38s come with 350 hubs), and the HGC 1400 internal rim width is 24mm. Though, I haven't purchased these yet.

The wheels are a mare to change on the front, it you stick to the road boost size of 110 x12. You have only two bikes using this size (Creo and Focus), and therefore choice is very limited. What I have done is use the MTB 110 x 15 and placed a 15 to 12mm adaptor sleeve on the axle. This has allowed me to use a set of Newmen SL 22 at 1250g a pair, a massive weight saving on the originals. I have done over 1500 mile on this set up with zero issues

The wheels are a mare to change on the front, it you stick to the road boost size of 110 x12. You have only two bikes using this size (Creo and Focus), and therefore choice is very limited.

What I have done is use the MTB 110 x 15 and placed a 15 to 12mm adaptor sleeve on the axle.

This has allowed me to use a set of Newmen SL 22 at 1250g a pair, a massive weight saving on the originals. I have done over 1500 mile on this set up with zero issues

Welcome to EBR and thanks for your adaptor suggestion.

Last edited:
Specialized going to a new standard, "road boost" makes sense with a heavier more powerful e bike, I wouldn't be surprised if more road/gravel/cross disc bikes adopt this in years to come, just makes sense. Campagnolo, when they released their H11 disc group, released a new crank with the chainrings outboard more to go with the increased rear spacing of 142 versus the old 130mm. Is it a huge deal? No, but with things getting more precise the millimetres matter more.

DT Swiss released their lineup of wheels when Specialized and Focus moved to the road boost spacing so the aftermarket was already there, albeit only one company offering wheels.

That said, as stated before, you can go with Nox Composites, built in the US, and they'll lace up their Falcor 36 rim to a boost spaced hubset allowing you to use them on the Creo. I've got the Nox rims we laced to DT 240 hubs on my winter bike and they are amazing. I'd love to run a set of Bora's as I've got on my race bike but Campagnolo is probably going to be pretty late to the road boost game until you see high end road disc bikes offering road boost spacing.

Before getting my Vado 5.0 as my shop bike, I thought about the Creo but ultimately wanted more power (whole point is to get to the shop fast and not sweat) and I couldn't run my wheels without rebuilding them with new hubs. Not a big deal but not worth the trouble at the moment. I think a Creo is in the future at some point as it's a sweet bike, we've sold a few, but for now the big bad Vado 5.0 is doing just fine.

The wheels are a mare to change on the front, it you stick to the road boost size of 110 x12. You have only two bikes using this size (Creo and Focus), and therefore choice is very limited. What I have done is use the MTB 110 x 15 and placed a 15 to 12mm adaptor sleeve on the axle. This has allowed me to use a set of Newmen SL 22 at 1250g a pair, a massive weight saving on the originals. I have done over 1500 mile on this set up with zero issues

Thanks for the tip on the sleeve, I ordered one and it's in the mail.

Where did you buy the Newmen wheels?

I am in the UK and got my Newmen Wheels from Germany (Bike24). I have the older SA22, which has a 22 inner bead width. These are now hard to get hold of and have now swapped to the SA25. Be aware the rims are hookless, so tyre choice is vital

For anyone interested, I'm selling a set of Roval C-38s with Boost spacing hubs that came with my Creo SL Expert. They are very lightly used (25 miles).

Back