New Bike Day: Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO

veloowl

Region
USA
Its maiden voyage went well yesterday, a short but fairly climby 15 miles (1600ft) - about 1/3 gravel - and I really like it so far. Pretty robust assist but of course, it doesn’t ride the bike for you so I still got a workout.

A bit of the cable housing under the TCU display was rattling around inside the top tube, so when I got it home, I just removed the TCU and wrapped the bit that was clanking around in there in some bubble wrap and electrical tape. Hopefully that fixes it.

I got the size large and the fit is perfect. This is my first fully carbon bike and I really like the feel. Thanks to everyone here for the wealth of information and feedback.

Attachments

• C1025B94-E8AC-4C63-BA95-57DF80AA68A1.jpeg
    C1025B94-E8AC-4C63-BA95-57DF80AA68A1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
Congrats! I am just over a month in with my Comp Carbon and absolutely love the bike. You can still get a great workout but have some help when it comes to headwinds and hills or on those days when you just aren't feeling it but know you need to get out to clear the head. I find I ride more often especially in heavy wind days where I would have often passed up for another day. I added the Range Extender, chain guide and road remotes to mine and also went tubeless. I had been on the sidelines researching for the last couple of years and the Creo is the best bike for me. I ended up also getting a Vado SL 5 for my wife and she has ridden more in the last month than she has in the last 10 years! These SL builds are game changers.

Last edited:
Nice! Your build sounds excellent. I also got the range extender and hope to do some much longer rides with lots of climbing this summer. I also got my wife a Vado; the 4.0 step through. She loves it!

Congrats and many miles & smiles.
I still get a chuckle on my non-ebike cycling friends when they comment about the wind. They’re always determining the direction and velocity. I simply nod my head like a smiley bobble head. It’s great not to care. I simply monitor battery usage and ride accordingly.

Congrats and many miles & smiles.
I still get a chuckle on my non-ebike cycling friends when they comment about the wind. They’re always determining the direction and velocity. I simply nod my head like a smiley bobble head. It’s great not to care. I simply monitor battery usage and ride accordingly.
Is that not one of the best benefits!! My cycling friends mocked me for about 30 seconds before falling in line and expressing joy at achieving personal bests on strava segments as I towed the line. There are; however, a few colorful words when getting to the hills telling me to slow the $%&^% down ...

One thing I did notice: sometimes, going back down to level 1 assist after cresting a hill on level 3 assist and I have a bit of speed...it almost feels like the bike is braking...it reminds of the one time I got to drive my BIL's Tesla and took my foot off the gas and you feel that instant drag resistance. This is probably due to having never really ridden an ebike before, but it did take a me a bit by surprise.

One thing I did notice: sometimes, going back down to level 1 assist after cresting a hill on level 3 assist and I have a bit of speed...it almost feels like the bike is braking...it reminds of the one time I got to drive my BIL's Tesla and took my foot off the gas and you feel that instant drag resistance. This is probably due to having never really ridden an ebike before, but it did take a me a bit by surprise.
Is this happening while coasting or under pedal load? If under pedal load, you will feel a change as the assist decreases which can kind of feel like the brakes are being put on as you move down from Turbo You should not feel any change at anytime while coasting on the bike and while changing assist level.

It's definitely while I'm pedaling. Thanks for clarifying.

Question for you...do you feel that the TCD is worth it? Crazy you spend almost $6k on a bike and they don't include a $90 computer.

I hear you! And the cost for the Range Extender or Y cables is robbery too. In any case, my wife's Vado came with the TCD and she uses her phone more than the TCD. I already had a Garmin and prefer that.

Question for you...do you feel that the TCD is worth it? Crazy you spend almost $6k on a bike and they don't include a $90 computer.
If you can afford a Garmin Edge or Wahoo ELEMNT, no need for the TCD. If you just need a display, the TCD is adequate.

I've got a Carbon Comp SL coming in next week to dealer. Ordered from Specialized website with the remotes. I can't find info on the wheels that ship stock. It looks like same wheels across the models (Evo vs Carbon Comp) with different tire/tube sizes for the gravel variant. The wheels appear to be the same though. Specialized said that Creo SL's come tubeless compatible rims...but do they come taped and ready out of the box?

Comp Carbon SL and EVO come with DT Swiss R470 wheels. These are taped and ready to go. They include valve tubeless stems in the bike package but these aren't very good and don't seal as well as some of the aftermarket ones and highly recommend getting some brand name stems.

Back