New 2018 Bromptom Electric Bike - Brompton's First eBike

Thanks for your message.
Speed issues was sort of solved. I don't know which firmware update I have at the moment.

It's a 6 gears. I initially wanted a 2 gears. But there were none available at the time.
Will update you on the outcome.

No help for the poster, but maybe future Brompton buyers...

The Brompton kits from eBikes.ca are superior to Brompton's eBikes. This is a rather rare example of a kit exceeding quality and performance of an OEM. A shame the best folder missed the mark on going electric. I have a one speed eBike, 2spd should be issue free with the right motor.

No help for the poster, but maybe future Brompton buyers...

The Brompton kits from eBikes.ca are superior to Brompton's eBikes. This is a rather rare example of a kit exceeding quality and performance of an OEM. A shame the best folder missed the mark on going electric. I have a one speed eBike, 2spd should be issue free with the right motor.

I have the grin kit, and it's fantastic. Don't want to hijack this thread, but there are some caveats for getting the kit installed (throttle placement with the new chunkier brompton brake/shift levers, etc.).

Have just joined e-bike review to find out other users' experience of the Brompton Electric. Seems many (all?) have had problems with power delivery. After intermittent problems mine came up with a permanent battery fault light array. Turns out nothing wrong with battery and that motor + controller are being replaced with latest firmware update. I collect from dealer this week and hope problems are permanently resolved. I have ridden Bromptons for years and think they are great provided they are used for their strengths, i.e. short distance fast commute, easy to transport by road, rail and air, they're always with you so no theft risk etc.. An electric one seems perfect so hopefully these apparently common malfunctions will get sorted......

I returned it a couple of weeks ago. The guy from cycle surgery said that the controller was basically dead. they were about to contact Brompton and ask for parts and replace it.
But I think i was a bit frustrated of having to visit the shop every other weeks with a brand new bicycle.

I've had a Brompton Electric since June 2019. I've had very few issues with it. In terms of the motor it's been fine, just very occasionally being slow to cut back in after a period with minimal use of motor. A bigger issue for me is that, in power mode, the front wheel can lose grip on the road surface if it's slippery (I fell off when executing a turn on smooth, wet paving (ie not on the road) recently) and on the steepest rural hills 25%+ the front wheel struggles to gain a grip where there is loose gravel or moss. A rear wheel drive would be better in this respect. Today I chose to go out without the battery and I find the bike rides well - perhaps better than my 'regular' Brompton - as it benefits from the extra 3kg in the front wheel. The other things I've noticed is that when fully folded it is more likely to fall over (eg on a rocking train) because the offset weight of the front wheel is 3kg greater. The limited luggage (1 litre or 20 litre bags) are also a limitation compared with the original bike with its multiplicity of bag types and styles. Having said all that, I love it. I have a rack fitted and I've been on holiday with it in the Scottish highlands and up Tour de France mountains around lake Annecy. It goes on trains and buses like any other Brompton, and into markets, shops, cinema, restaurants etc. I'm not convinced that any other folding e-bike is accepted as universally as the Brompton because the others are all quite a lot bigger in at least one dimension, even when they claim to be 'small'!

I'm on 3rd motor in 3 months. 1st had repeated unexpected failures, 2nd had the bad clicking noises many of you have reported. Hoping 3rd time's a charm. Just picked it up from shop and so far so good.

I do give Brompton credit for not ignoring the issues. A chap, Jiri from HQ, stayed with it and made sure dealer had right parts and authorizations.

So while it's been a frustrating journey, the design objectives were really good, and the bike has been fantastic on various trips. Hope the bugs shake out for good.

Be well

I've had my Brompton Electric 13 months and after 960 miles of hilly commuting I've had zero issues. It works perfectly and has exceeded my expectations. Sorry to hear about the problems others have had but just wanted to report my experience with it. I have 4 other bikes but it's my favorite.

Back