Netherlands sells more ebike than old school

I have a feeling that if Walmart could sell a decent ebike for about $450 (basic hub, basic cells in a small pack) US people might buy more ebikes than bikes. Why? Just because it is a much better experience for the poor slobs who buy basic bikes and then never ride them.

Walmart or direct Chinese vendors, maybe Amazon. The stuff on this site will never be mass market, too pricey.

But yeah, I think it proves that electric bikes are simply a better product, a more useful product. I knew that 5 minutes after I rode an ebike.

At $450, the returns would kill the already slim profit margin on a low cost e-bike. You want to see something a bit more robust, and simpler. Something a customer can't break.

That article said the majority of sales are above $1000 euros, which is around $1060 US dollars. Figure Europe with a 20% VAT, so these are $800 bikes, all from China. That's not too far from a Walmart break point.

Home Depot sold me a 5AH weed whacker battery for $140. I powered my 250W bike motor with it, and went 12 mph for an hour with pedal assist. I was impressed. They just need a 10AH battery with the same quality for $200. That makes a $600 bike something you can make money on.

the bicycle culture in Netherlands in general is different from US I hear. I just recently watched some youtube videos showing Netherlands as being more cyclist friendly culture compared to other parts of the world.

That is one thing I do worry about constantly when riding my eBike here in Chicago, no matter how safe I am, its everyone else I am worried about lol

Right now a more relative discussion for US would be more drivers switching to electric cars from fossil fuel powered cars lol

But its possible eBikes and biking in general could get better here in the US, only time will tell! haha

Thanks for sharing article!

Take care, ride safe
Marc V

Biking sure is safer in the Netherlands, based on my two years living in Amsterdam. I kind of wonder, since I left 6 years ago, how the cycling experience might be effected from having the new ebikes on the fietspad (bike paths). I'm sure most are still out enjoying their pedaling. Here's a joyful, meditative cycling clip/song a friend made, mostly shot in Amsterdam a few years back:

Last edited:
Biking sure is safer in the Netherlands, based on my two years living in Amsterdam. I kind of wonder how the cycling experience might be effected from having the ebikes. Here's a joyful, meditative cycling clip/song a friend made, mostly shot in Amsterdam:

thanks for sharing the vid!

I have lived there for sometime and i can say i am not surprised.

1- Infrastructure is suitable for bicycles.
2- Having car over there is expensive and not convenient (hard to find parking lots and expensive, always traffic jam, bicycles - pedestrians have priority)

For selling more e-bikes one reason is brands like stella where they provide simple e-bikes at dirt cheap prices and provide after sales service with their established 50+ vans across netherlands.

This way they cut the margin (cost) of mid-seller or store which cuts cost around 40% .

Even i love my local bike store i see future is heading towards to more such business establishments.
After 10-15 years only few specialized bike stores will be left (other than branded flag ship stores)

Not big on helmet use in the Netherlands are they?

Interesting perspective Helena. We are seeing van based franchises offered here in the U.S. and Canada that are used mainly for parts and service of regular bikes that could easily adapt their fleets to service e bikes.

While I was used to wearing a helmet before living in Holland, I did get used to riding around without one like 99% of locals. You do see those riding nice road bikes and wearing lycra wearing helmets, usually out in the countrysides. Safe infrastructure, mostly flat terrain, but another important factor are the laws which protect cyclists. Hit a biker, lose your license. Makes sense to me.

Also very clever to have mobile sales and service vans. Triple A for bikes :)

Yeah first thing i was advised in Netherlands was, if you hit a cyclist at best you will be 50% guilty and in most cases 100% guilty.

We are a long ways from that here in the US unfortunately. But it is nice to know that there is a model somewhere to point to and say "Hey it works there, why not here?"

Most cities have to work bikes in to their traffic plans going forward and some more progressive areas have been for awhile now and just getting going in others. But even a "bike friendly" city like Portland where I reside is far from perfect and the cage is still king and it is not worth challenging that perception, although many do foolishly.

I guess this is another typical example of "The Chicken and the Egg" scenario to play for the People and/vs the Politicians.

A quick check on Google Maps with the option "Bicycling path" activated will reveal the drastic difference between Amsterdam (Netherlands major city) and Los Angeles (US major city).
Both screenshots have the same scale "1 inch = 1000 yards/meters approx".

This is downtown Amsterdam bike paths in green color.
Dark green = dedicated bike paths, away from car lanes.
Light green = bike lanes, shared with car lanes.
Dot green = the rest :)
Amsterdam_1km.JPG

This is downtown Los Angeles, same scale as Amsterdam above.
Los_Angeles_1km.JPG

No wonder The People feel safer using bikes, and e-bikes, in Amsterdam vs. LA.

T.

Last edited:
No wonder The People feel safer using bikes, and e-bikes, in Amsterdam vs. LA.

Revealing maps! And honestly, it doesn't fully convey the friendly bike atmosphere one experiences in places like Amsterdam or Copenhagen. Hope you'll get to have a first hand experience sometime soon. The videos above offer a little flavor. Also, there have been numerous discussions within these forums on biking wear & accessories, such as lights. Happy cycling :)

how true,

Amsterdam / Dutch is biking mecca ... and the rest of EU and Nordic countries as well. Been at it a long time, smaller geographical areas and infrastructure including public transit set up to accommodate it. People allowed to use trains and metro with bikes ... then ride. Really nice ...
This past June I visited Helsinki and Germany was common place to see older ladies their 70's and beyond peddling to the grocery store ... then around back to the bottle shop for their favorite wine etc..... very friendly atmosphere

hope we can get a little closer to this in the states ... its getting better

B.

Through much work & advocacy citizens slowly received support of politicians which resulted in infrastructures & laws that we are now able to enjoy. Thanks to all the cyclists, with our without motors, who are advocating for improved biking conditions with your words & actions. Wishing everyone safe rides, especially if you're in your 70's out for the daily shopping :)

Back