need help on purchasing ebike asap

shar66

Region
USA
hi I’m new to this whole Ebikes thing and so I need a little bit of advice ASAP about purchasing my first E bike. I’ve done some research myself but it’s been hard going.
I am a 50 year old woman in need of an E bike in order to commute to work five days a week. ideally, what I had been looking for in an E bike is as follows:
a foldable ebike with both pas and throttle
budget: max amount $700 plus tax

20” wheels but NOT fat tires because from the research I’ve done they only seem to add weight to the bike and drain the battery more. but I have a feeling I’m going to have to let this go because I can’t seem to find any bike this size anymore without fat tires

A battery that can last for about 20 miles round-trip, and hold a charge for at least eight hours because when I get to work I might not have a place to plug it in. what amph size is good for this? ive seen 7.8amp/hr and 10.4amph. i’m guessing bigger is better but then there is the difference between 36 V and 48v as well so a bit confusing. plus i want the battery inside the frame so it will be better protected; NO under the seat, in the seat pole or on the outside or front

500watt motor; peak about 750 and it can only go 20mph (because where I live that is the max you can have) Which is OK because I don’t care about going fast, I just want to be able to get from point A to point B; also I don’t need to tackle big inclines but I wanted to be able to ride uphill just using the throttle. and im gonna be on pavement or paved bike path

lights on front and back (although can maybe purchase rear light later)

and after about three months of searching i did manage to find these two bikes but I’m having trouble deciding between them mainly because of the mixed reviews.
they are both on Amazon. This one is by a company called Vivi

this one is by a company called Veefa

they are both 20 inch foldable bikes with the battery inside the frame,rack and lights. but
Vivi (cheaper of the two)
con: only has 48v 7.8 amp battery
pro: tires are only 2.4” wide bike weight 55ibs (so not too heavy but would prefer lighter)
Veefa
Pros: has a 48v 10.4 amp battery
con: has 3” fat tires so weighs more; 57ibs

so here’s what I’m wondering, Should I choose the one with the bigger battery since I want the battery to last longer? However since the one with the bigger battery has the bigger tires which makes it weigh more is it going to drain the battery therefore making a bigger battery obsolete and in that case should I go with the cheaper bike?
Any advice about these two would be appreciated or if you can think of something better than these two please let me know as well. Thank you in advance

I consider 3" semi-fat but I see your point in wanting something normal sized. A few questions so we can help you further.
How do you plan on charging this ebike? Easy removal might be important.
Is it to be parked outside in a sketchy area? Good security might be needed.
Do these Amazon ebikes have UL Certification? Mainly on the battery.
Its always better to go bigger on the battery so you don't get range anxiety.
If the weight is carried low its not a problem unless you have to carry it.
Do you have a set budget?
To dab a toe in the ebike world you can go 2 ways. Buy a trusted DTC ebike like a Lectric, Rad, Aventon. Some local bike shops even carry these brands now! Or spend a tad more and get a bike shop brand. REI sells their own house brand now. No folders at last check. Note that folders are usually a chore to fold, so if not fully needed you might be able to pass on that option?
I gave away a Lectric XP 3.0 ($899) recently. Great ebike but I hated the battery in the frame when removing it was needed. I almost purchased a Ride1Up Portola ($999) but ended up getting a Lectric ONE long-range battery model. My commute is 15 miles each way, secure parking upon arrival and I can charge the battery at my desk.

hi I’m new to this whole Ebikes thing and so I need a little bit of advice ASAP about purchasing my first E bike. I’ve done some research myself but it’s been hard going.
I am a 50 year old woman in need of an E bike in order to commute to work five days a week. ideally, what I had been looking for in an E bike is as follows:
a foldable ebike with both pas and throttle
budget: max amount $700 plus tax

20” wheels but NOT fat tires because from the research I’ve done they only seem to add weight to the bike and drain the battery more. but I have a feeling I’m going to have to let this go because I can’t seem to find any bike this size anymore without fat tires

A battery that can last for about 20 miles round-trip, and hold a charge for at least eight hours because when I get to work I might not have a place to plug it in. what amph size is good for this? ive seen 7.8amp/hr and 10.4amph. i’m guessing bigger is better but then there is the difference between 36 V and 48v as well so a bit confusing. plus i want the battery inside the frame so it will be better protected; NO under the seat, in the seat pole or on the outside or front

500watt motor; peak about 750 and it can only go 20mph (because where I live that is the max you can have) Which is OK because I don’t care about going fast, I just want to be able to get from point A to point B; also I don’t need to tackle big inclines but I wanted to be able to ride uphill just using the throttle. and im gonna be on pavement or paved bike path

lights on front and back (although can maybe purchase rear light later)

and after about three months of searching i did manage to find these two bikes but I’m having trouble deciding between them mainly because of the mixed reviews.
they are both on Amazon. This one is by a company called Vivi

this one is by a company called Veefa

they are both 20 inch foldable bikes with the battery inside the frame,rack and lights. but
Vivi (cheaper of the two)
con: only has 48v 7.8 amp battery
pro: tires are only 2.4” wide bike weight 55ibs (so not too heavy but would prefer lighter)
Veefa
Pros: has a 48v 10.4 amp battery
con: has 3” fat tires so weighs more; 57ibs

so here’s what I’m wondering, Should I choose the one with the bigger battery since I want the battery to last longer? However since the one with the bigger battery has the bigger tires which makes it weigh more is it going to drain the battery therefore making a bigger battery obsolete and in that case should I go with the cheaper bike?
Any advice about these two would be appreciated or if you can think of something better than these two please let me know as well. Thank you in advance
I do not have any experience on the folders like many riders here, we buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, but a ebike wouldn’t be one of them, if you cannot buy from a local bike shop, then the mentioned Iectric or the Ride1up Portola are good choices for a bit higher cost, well worth it in my opinion, maybe check facebook marketplace in your area,.. good luck in your search

A 2.4" tire can be bought 65 psi rated, so will roll easily. A 3" tire is probably 30 psi rated or lower, and will eat the watthours (energy). The two bikes you mentioned may have the same range, a rather short one.
E-bikes in the <$1100 price class are IMHO built of the same grade of components of $200 bikes at discount stores. The "steel" contains copper, zinc, lead from old auto scrap. The aluminum may contain excessive zinc or silicon. Expect constant adjustment of shifter and brake cables as they stretch, and likely loose spokes that allow wheels to go out of line or poke the tube. Fractures of rims have occured. My kiddie grade Diamondback MTB broke the 8 mm rear axle under my enormous 180 lb. I don't jump curbs or picnic tables. My Pacific Quantum wore out the crank arm in 2000 miles. The rear axle had no locknut, the race came unscrewed, and dropped the ball bearings on the road. My $2000 Yuba has had no such problems. I did not know such quality spokes and cables could be bought in *****. The rear axle is shimano 8 speed instead of 7 speed or 6 speed on the kiddie bikes, and I have 12000 trouble free miles on it. Same with spokes, rims, cables.
Look at the known problems list on the brand forums.
I suggest if you want a ride that lasts more than a few months as a commuter, buy from a major. Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Kona, Specialized, Orbea, Yamaha, Reiss and Mueller, Gazelle. The premium folder is Brompton. The brands recommended by Scooter & Seventysomething are not premium but have a lower count of problems (divided by market share) than most fly-by-nights. See this topic. https://forums.electricbikereview.com/forum/folding/ Blix makes a folder and has had 2 complaints on the brand forum in 7 years. One happily resolved by the dealer & Blix. See this thread: https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/help-choosing-folding-ebike-please.56799/
If you buy from a dealer you get service for a year, and most dealers will not carry garbage. Amazon will carry garbage, I bought a battery that arrived useless from one of Amazon's listers (btrbattery to be exact). I did get my money back since the problem was obvious the first hill I rode up.

Last edited:
Unless you are able to do your own service & maintenance, it may be difficult to find a bike shop nearby that will work on a bike purchased online. Even if you can do your own work, think about parts availability. You get what you pay for, and there is no exception for e-bikes. Give servicing serious consideration before buying any brand.

The difference in battery voltage will dictate the speed of the bike. A 36 volt bike would reach about 22 mph. A 48 volt bike would get to about 28 mph. The battery voltage will also effect range (in watthours). Multiply battery voltage by ah rating and you’ll get the watthour rating. You mention a 48v, 10.4ah battery. That would be 499wh. A 36 volt battery would be 374wh. Big difference.

Since speed isn’t a big priority, you can save some money going with a 36 volt bike, but again, this will affect the range of the bike.

For comparison, I have a ride1up 700 series bike. It has a 48v 14ah (672wh) battery. I’m able to ride 30 miles (at an average speed of 16mph) before needing a charge.

Do be careful buying cheap bikes. The battery construction is probably not the best and you may end up finding yourself buying a new battery in a year or so. I also wouldn’t count of getting support for an Amazon bike.

I’d recommend buying from an established company such as Aventon, Radpowerbikes, Lectric, Ride1Up. Some bike shops actually carry Aventon. At least double your budget.

If you want a bike and a shop to maintain your bike, then you may want to look at Trek, $pecialized, Yamaha, and such. Be prepaired to pay $3000-5000.

it may be difficult to find a bike shop nearby that will work on a bike purchased online. Even if you can do your own work, think about parts availability. You get what you pay for, and there is no exception for e-bikes. Give servicing serious consideration before buying any brand.
I agree. If you are relying on this bike to get to work, when it breaks down, it may take you a good while to get it up and running again. If I were a local bike store, I wouldn't work on it.

If your budget is real tight, I recommend you buy a nationlly recognized and serviced name brand bike on the used market. Facebook Market Place is a excellent source of used ebikes.

I consider 3" semi-fat but I see your point in wanting something normal sized. A few questions so we can help you further.
To dab a toe in the ebike world you can go 2 ways. Buy a trusted DTC ebike like a Lectric, Rad, Aventon. Some local bike shops even carry these brands now! Or spend a tad more and get a bike shop brand. REI sells their own house brand now. No folders at last check. Note that folders are usually a chore to fold, so if not fully needed you might be able to pass on that option?
I gave away a Lectric XP 3.0 ($899) recently. Great ebike but I hated the battery in the frame when removing it was needed. I almost purchased a Ride1Up Portola ($999) but ended up getting a Lectric ONE long-range battery model. My commute is 15 miles each way, secure parking upon arrival and I can charge the battery at my desk.
thanks for the recommendations but i cannot go higher than my budget of $700 at this time. to answer your other questions I plan on charging this battery outside the bike, hopefully at work but depends on what my boss says, so I need it to be removable. I also am going to have to park it outside in an Arizona sun because work wont let is put them inside even if its folded. however where I work, I’m not worried about security as much as I am the weather baking the crap out of the tires and /or other components so I will be getting a tarp to put over it for the six hours I am at work. as far as security where I live this was one of the reasons I want a fold up one because I live in an apartment and I definitely do not want to leave it outside even if its locked up.
thank you so much for your recommendations however I’m afraid I can’t go beyond my budget of $700 right now because of some unforeseen expenses that have come up.
as for the battery being removable yes I do need it to be removable because hopefully I can plug it in at work but it depends on what my boss says. also at work it’s going to be parked outside unfortunately in the hot Arizona sun which means I’m going to have to get a tarp so that the tires and other components aren’t ruined by the heat. which is also why I would want to remove the battery while I’m at work for that reason as well. and they also have a thing about not letting you put your bike inside even if it’s foldable. I wanted the foldable one because I live in an apartment and I have no wish to keep it outside even locked up so I needed to be able to fit it in my place. as far as security goes at work it should be fine it’s more just about the weather taking its toll overtime five days a week six hours a day.
as for the weight being in a low position did you mean as in the frame where the battery sits is lower than the handle bars cause i think it is; my nervous Nellie self is just concerned about being able to control 57 pounds of bicycle after being used to a regular maybe 30 pounds of bicycle.
and unfortunately as for bike shops, my town only has two and only one of them has a 20 inch foldable bike and they only have the one model which I believe is Troxxus? for $1700 with tax. it has the same battery size and the 3 inch fat tires like the one I saw on amazon for cheaper. all the other bikes in the shop and the other shop are not foldable, 26 inch and mostly with fat tires as well and they are all about the same price or even more than that. as for a Walmart or even target as well they carry no electric bikes in stock everything would have to be ordered online. out of desperation I tried them and even Best Buy and our Best Buy also does not have anything in stock and even if they did the bikes are $1000 and over.

Back