Need help deciding on a e-trike

Mincoda

I sold my e-bike yesterday and am seriously considering buy a e-trike. I like the fat tire and baskets would be good. I would like some suggestions if you can. I've been looking at the FT1900X and the Motan M330 big difference in price, but I don't see a big difference in what you get. Help please!

I'm curious why people buy those fat tire conventional trikes. Do you plan on snow and sand riding? It's going to sound like a Jeep coming on pavement with 3 knobby tires rumbling.

I believe that both Catrike and Ice make etrikes with fat tires. Also Greenspeed. I’m sure there are others. You may want to check out the recumbent trike facebook page.

I recently took delivery on a Fat Delta from Electrictrike.com. Unfortunately AddMotor just bought the rights so you can't get this from them but AddMotor will happily sell you one for $600 more! It is a semi-recumbent form factor, but like any trike with a single front wheel you can have stability issues when making at turn (at speed).

I almost bought a recumbent e-trike, which is much more stable (having 2 wheels in front), but I have physical limitation which tipped me in favor of the Fat Delta. I ride on relatively smooth pavement most of the time (and not very fast) so the turns are not a big issue. Off-road might be a whole different issue. In fact I would never get something like a Motan 330 if offroad was going to be a significant portion of my riding.

I don't know what your primary interest/use for the trike will be, but maybe if you told us we could give more help.

My warning about TRIKES! I am not an expert. I test drove a Fat Tire eTrike last sat. I thought this would be a cool 3rd eBike to have some fun and haul my junk. Or as a guest bike. I test drove it about 2 blocks. I felt like I could lose control very easily. It felt like a moment of not paying attention or a bit too quick in a turn and I would be spitting gravel. (accident) I've owned a lot of bicycles and motorcycles over the years, and while I am not an expert of any type. It's just I did not feel very safe. I'm sure there must be some people that love these type of bikes, but not me. This is a personal opinion, not based on anything else than my 10 minute ride. It was a head turner for sure.

Trikes are certainly not for everyone. But my wife has trouble balancing a 2-wheeler, so in 2019 she saw a Schwinn Meridian single-speed trike in Wal-Mart and it was marked down from $300 to $199, so we bought it. She didn't ride it much because it is heavy and the single speed sprocket means lots of pedal power is required. So this year, needing a project from being home-bound due to the wacky virus, I got a Voilamart 1000w front wheel conversion kit for her. I didn't hook up the blue speed limiter wires, so it gets the full 1000w, and she loves it!

Meridian 1000w.jpg

Trikes are certainly not for everyone. But my wife has trouble balancing a 2-wheeler, so in 2019 she saw a Schwinn Meridian single-speed trike in Wal-Mart and it was marked down from $300 to $199, so we bought it. She didn't ride it much because it is heavy and the single speed sprocket means lots of pedal power is required. So this year, needing a project from being home-bound due to the wacky virus, I got a Voilamart 1000w front wheel conversion kit for her. I didn't hook up the blue speed limiter wires, so it gets the full 1000w, and she loves it!

View attachment 56531

great job...but...I would definitely dial the power back. Probably good to 15-17mph, but above that they can get a tad twitchy and dangerous.

I am a senior with mobility issues. I wanted something that would enable me to go on trails to do some photography. I bought the Volt Trio. I have only had it a few days but I think it will be just the think to strengthen my legs and allow me to get out and about.

I ordered the fat tire electric tricycle ft-1900X (red) a week ago from Mobility4less, I should get it by the end of this month or early December. I bought a Lectric XP 2.0 and I love the bike but being a Polio survivor and even though I've really enjoyed the Lectric (2wheel) bike I've realized that I'll be better off with a trike. I have a friend that has an electric trike and even though there is a learning curve, I feel a bit more secure on his trike vs the Lectric.

Back