Need help choosing my first e-bike!

tomtom

Hey guys I am looking for a bike mainly to go to work that isn't too far away (would be 20-30 min) and also for leisure/fun rides around vancouver, Canada. My work is up on a hill that I would probably normally struggle a bit to ride over with a normal bike. My interest in an e-bike is to help alleviate that struggle so I don't end up at work all sweaty. I've been doing some research and have sort of narrowed things down to two fat bikes (not sure if a fat bike is what I should be getting for my purposes):

The Volt Yukon 750 limited 2020
The radrover 5 2020

First question I guess is if a fat bike is the way to go? I figured if I paid ~2000 CDN I would get a bike that looks a bit different and capable of doing more than just commuting.

I've been learning towards the Volt because it has more range and it is a local company from Vancouver.

Thanks guys!

If you're going to keep your bike stock, the Volt Yukon is the way to go. Much better bike in every aspect.

If you're going to modify it, Rad Rover hands down. Because Rad Power Bikes are so popular, you can get a lot of aftermarket parts to modify it and make it better.

One thing to note about VoltBike though, they take a long time to ship. Even before pandemic, when they say 10 days (for example) what they really mean is 2 months.

They're not scammers, if you call Volt, they will answer the phone and they're quite nice people. But they're just,.. very disorganized.

What it I chose the pickup at their location option? I live close by

For your needs you do not really need a fat tire bike ? For commuting and recreation maybe try a bike with a medium width tire. Do you want a step thru? We have a Ride1up 500 and an Espin Sport both good commuting bikes for about - $1200. The Espin also comes in a step thru model, the Flow. If you want a fat tire bike with suspension fork, check out the new Espin Nero. On sale for 999.00. Similar to Rad but better specs for the money.

I'll second the Espin Nero introductory limited early bird pricing for $999. That bike is very much like the Radrover step-through for much less $.

If you really want a fat tire bike another inexpensive alternative is the Lectric XP. You do not have a long commute. It is foldable. I do not have one but a lot of people like them and they are $899. Some people change the seat or add a suspension seat post. Those are easy modifications. Lot of videos on line.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Do fat bikes fall short for just daily commutes to work such as road biking and hills?

For your needs you do not really need a fat tire bike ? For commuting and recreation maybe try a bike with a medium width tire. Do you want a step thru? We have a Ride1up 500 and an Espin Sport both good commuting bikes for about - $1200. The Espin also comes in a step thru model, the Flow. If you want a fat tire bike with suspension fork, check out the new Espin Nero. On sale for 999.00. Similar to Rad but better specs for the money.

Unfortunately Espin does not ship to Canada

Back