Need Help Buying a New e-Bike

MrCaspan

So I am sure some of you have read my rant posts but I am looking for a new bike since my old one got stolen. So over 3 ebikes I have realized a few things I want and don't want. I am having issues finding a bike that meets all these requirements. I am open to discussion as to my choices. Here is a list of options.

Must Haves
  • Deliverable to Ontario, Canada for a reasonable cost
  • full suspension
  • Peddle Assist w/ throttle
  • Torque Sensor
  • Not locked down or unlockable to what ever its max speed is
  • Mountain Bike styling (not a step through or a commuter upright bike)
  • Good Range to get me to and from work (30km round trip, I found that about a 700wh-800wh battery is what I need)
  • 2.5-3.0" tires or frame that is upgradable to accommodate 3"
  • Mid drive
  • 500 watts (I had a 1000 watts and it seems a little over kill for my needs plus the noise...)
  • I would like something around 50lbs or less
  • Removeable battery

Could Go Either Way
  • Carbon or Aluminum - I am leaning towards aluminum just for longevity (would love to hear argument's for against carbon)
  • 48v or 52v
  • Under 7K Canadian
  • I don't care if its dual or quad pistons or hydraulic or cable (I'm assuming once we get up in price that hydraulic is just standard)
  • I don't care about the rotor size
  • Suspension travel ill deal with what I get
Don't want
  • Fenders
  • Nothing from Alibaba!!!!

I know this list is very restrictive list and I know it would be so much better if I could get an ebike for commuting and different one for trail ridding but I just cannot justify having two for costs reasons and I don't have the space to store 2 bikes right now. I plan on building another shed for other reasons in the next few years so maybe when I get that built I will be in a better situation to have 2 bikes.

So far the Monte Capro Lite from Biktrix is the only bike I have seen that I like that seems to check all the boxes, price seems high
https://www.biktrix.ca/pages/monte-capro-lite

I like the styling but I am also so scared of carbon..

I checked Rad Power Bikes and iGo Canada and were not a fan of any of there bikes. I would love to see any other bikes you find that you think would be close to this list.

Bikes I like

Last edited:
So I am sure some of you have read my rant posts but I am looking for a new bike since my old one got stolen. So over 3 ebikes I have realized a few things I want and don't want. I am having issues finding a bike that meets all these requirements. I am open to discussion as to my choices. Here is a list of options.

Must Haves
  • Deliverable to Ontario, Canada for a reasonable cost
  • full suspension
  • Peddle Assist w/ throttle
  • Torque Sensor
  • Not locked down or unlockable to what ever its max speed is
  • Mountain Bike styling (not a step through or a commuter upright bike)
  • Good Range to get me to and from work (30km round trip, I found that about a 700wh-800wh battery is what I need)
  • 3" tires or frame that is upgradable to accommodate 3"
  • Mid drive
  • 500 watts (I had a 1000 watts and it seems a little over kill for my needs plus the noise...)
  • I would like something around 50lbs or less
  • Nothing from Alibaba!!!!

Could Go Either Way
  • Carbon or Aluminum - I am leaning towards aluminum just for longevity (would love to hear argument's for against carbon)
  • 48v or 52v
  • Under 7K Canadian
  • I don't care if its dual or quad pistons or hydraulic or cable (I'm assuming once we get up in price that hydraulic is just standard)
  • I dont care about the rotor size
  • Suspension travel ill deal with what I get
I know this list is very restrictive list and I know it would be so much better if I could get an ebike for commuting and different one for trail ridding but I just cannot justify having two for costs reasons and I don't have the space to store 2 bikes right now. I plan on building another shed for other reasons in the next few years so maybe when I get that built I will be in a better situation to have 2 bikes.

So far the Monte Capro Lite from Biktrix is the only bike I have seen that I like that seems to check all the boxes, price seems high
https://www.biktrix.ca/pages/monte-capro-lite

I like the styling but I am also so scared of carbon..

I checked Rad Power Bikes and iGo Canada and were not a fan of any of there bikes. I would love to see any other bikes you find that you think would be close to this list.
Frey CC could be a good candidate.

https://shop.frey.bike/products/frey-cc

The throttle requirement eliminates all europe middrive motors which power quality eMTBs. If you can live without throttle then there are lot more options.

The throttle requirement eliminates all europe middrive motors which power quality eMTBs. If you can live without throttle then there are lot more options.
Yeah I am almost to the point where I don't want a throttle but there are days when I am just dead by the end of the day or feeling like crap in the morning or have a stich and I just throttle home or to work and it just helps me frame the commuting with a bike to myself in my mind if that makes sense. It removes a road block for me as It only takes me 10 minutes longer to use the bike to get to work. Plus no throttle means class 1 and limited to 20kmph no? or is it 20mph if so that's not bad!

Excellent components, being 9s maybe bonus as cheap to maintain compared to 11 and 12spd .
It's like golfing, sure its nice to have the 1-9 irons but most average golfers only need 3,5,7,9 I'm not that technical of a ridder that I need 11 gears I just care about that ratio is decent to get a good top speed but powerful bottom gear.

Aftermarket support would be the biggest worry, unless owner has DIY skills.
I am 100% hands on and have my own workstation and do 90% of my own adjustments.

I owned a Frey CC and loved every part of it except the weight and that it was not programmed to have the throttle work from a dead start. I bought the cord to change that but never got around to it. With my rack and Topeak bag and everything, it came it at about 70 lbs. I kinda regret selling it. I did get many compliments on the bike. Never had one problem with it and Frey support was fine via email...

It's like golfing, sure its nice to have the 1-9 irons but most average golfers only need 3,5,7,9 I'm not that technical of a ridder that I need 11 gears I just care about that ratio is decent to get a good top speed but powerful bottom gear.

I am 100% hands on and have my own workstation and do 90% of my own adjustments.
Most average golfers would be smart to lose their 3 and 5 irons as well ;)

Sorry maybe a mod can move this to the help with a new ebike section, I put it in the wrong category

Of my 4 Ebikes, 3 are inside the house and the 4th is Kryptonite U-locked and cabled in the locked garage in a pretty safe neighborhood. Why give the thieves a chance?

I use Oxford OF439 BruteForce Hardened Bolt-Down Mini Ground Anchor.
$25

Attachments

• 4E3F648B-2BEC-49E1-B67F-29BF70CBE8B1.jpeg
    4E3F648B-2BEC-49E1-B67F-29BF70CBE8B1.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 116
My new bike is never being left untouched outside again!
Install the "Bike spike-nad spad" anti or post-theft eliminator, of course its not in production yet( perhaps some entrepreneurial oriental cottage industry owner can have a go at its manufacture and introduction into high theft areas) not much worse than a thief, the perps would easy to identify at the Hospital-Disclaimer "BS-NS" assumes no liability for owner forgetting to disarm anti-theft device.
GPS" bike seat taser, could go into production as well along with"tube viper"

Back