Need help/Advice on e bikes

Vince R

HI, I am brand new to e-bikes. I am 66, recently retired. I want 'something' that is good for both on and off road (mountain or woodsey area trails not rough terrain). My first inclination is a motor scooter, however, I live in a very densely populated area and driving is dangerous here so I won't be doing highways. So, to satisfy my desire to venture off the beaten path, from time to time, I came across e-bikes. I need something that I can transport (perhaps folds) and can go into the back cargo area of an SUV. I want something that is quality, reliable, powerful enough (more than 15 MPH) yet light enough to transport. I would also like something that I can pedal manually (for the exercise) and then switch to power for fun and comfort.
Can anyone recommend a make/model ? I know I am asking for a lot but my next choice would be to go back to scooters.

thank you in advance for your help,
Vince

I am 62 and I went with a folding fat tire VeeGo
I wanted it folding for Rving and a rack that I could hang panniers on to do shopping or beer runs.

https://www.ridescoozy.com/products/veego-fat-tire

It hit all the things I needed it for, plus it had name brand components at a reasonable price for a 500 W 13Ah battery e-bike.
I am very happy with this bike.

If you are able to pedal, I think you'll enjoy an ebike much more than a scooter. Pedaling is fun, and gives you interaction with the bike and terrain, and draws your attention to the bike and terrain for shifting, so is more interesting than a scooter. An ebike is allowed in places a scooter is NOT allowed--Many areas have bike paths or mixed-use paths that are scenic, and the number of these paths is growing as more and more are interested in getting off of congested streets. Pedaling is also terrific for your health. You may already be fit and have a fitness routine so this may not interest you, but for many of us, being able to use our bodies to go place to place is something that makes us fitter and healthier.

Have fun with your decision process!

If you are able to pedal, I think you'll enjoy an ebike much more than a scooter. Pedaling is fun, and gives you interaction with the bike and terrain, and draws your attention to the bike and terrain for shifting, so is more interesting than a scooter. An ebike is allowed in places a scooter is NOT allowed--Many areas have bike paths or mixed-use paths that are scenic, and the number of these paths is growing as more and more are interested in getting off of congested streets. Pedaling is also terrific for your health. You may already be fit and have a fitness routine so this may not interest you, but for many of us, being able to use our bodies to go place to place is something that makes us fitter and healthier.

Have fun with your decision process!
Thank you very much for responding and your support. :)

Some people like folding bikes and some hate them.

Imo you should find an ebike shop and demo many models, ranging from cheap to expensive..

Then tell us what YOU think..

Don't keyboard shop for Ebikes.. big mistake.

A Radmini or Veego might work for you, being a 20" folding bike with fat tires, but it's still a short wheelbase bike and you might find it twitchier, and the fat tires noisier. Bigger folders with 26" and 700cc tires are not going to fit that well in an SUV. You might consider a trailer hitch and a good rack. Probably around $500 for the pair. Then you can carry most any bike.

I read just about everything here...a free education. I decided on a Rad Power City, and just received it today...it's great!
Note that 25% tariffs kick in 8/23...no pressure.

Look for positive experiences, and good service.

I have a small SUV; a Honda Element. I can fit my non-folding e-bike inside by folding up one seat and removing the front wheel. If you can do same, you won't have to limit yourself to folding bikes.

I read just about everything here...a free education. I decided on a Rad Power City, and just received it today...it's great!
Note that 25% tariffs kick in 8/23...no pressure.

Look for positive experiences, and good service.

Congrats on your new Rad Larry.

Back