Need guidance and an education

SJBarks

I am an empty vessel, primed to be filled with your nuggets of information. :)

Really, I am a 50 year old out of shape female with balance issues. My husband and I recently bought a condominium in Florida in an area that will make biking to the beach and the grocer a reality. We have locked storage downstairs in the parking garage that would be the perfect place to store my new trike; I just need help choosing the best option.

I’ve spent some time on-line, and I’m not sure that I really need anything with fat tires. I plan to bike to the beach, which is about a mile away on a mostly paved road. Groceries are even closer, down a service road, so paved as well. I’m really liking the looks/maneuverability of a recumbent trike, but I just can’t justify spending more than $3,000 or so USD to get into one. I’ve ridden a non-electric traditional trike, and have ended up in the weeds because I expect it to corner like my car does.

What’s unfortunate is the lack of dealers near me. I’d really like to test drive some options, but can’t seem to find anybody within an hour or so of my area.

So, what say you? If you were me, where would you start looking?

Are you far from Winter Haven? Crazy Lennys EBikes is there, right on the Orange Trail. Don't let the name scare you. We bought our first ebike at his Madison WI store a few years ago.

Nice bike trail too. We drove there from our rental in Kissimee.

You really need to find a dealer within driving distance. If you order from an on-line only dealer, and the trike breaks down, you will be responsible for doing the repair yourself. I would have guessed that Florida had eTrike dealers everywhere based on the demographic. Look around for a rental place and see where they buy.

Where are you in Florida? If you'll give us that, we may be able to suggest some dealers.

Too, there's a good reason golf carts are as popular as they are (if you haven't already noticed). Not nearly as good at providing exercise, they are still fairly practical in a lot of communities.

Where are you in Florida? If you'll give us that, we may be able to suggest some dealers.

Too, there's a good reason golf carts are as popular as they are (if you haven't already noticed). Not nearly as good at providing exercise, they are still fairly practical in a lot of communities.
Fort Myers. And we live in a high rise surrounded mostly by nature preserve. Pair that with a lack of parking (our two cars take up the space in our two car garage) and a golf cart is a no-go.

i would advise anyone near the beach to maybe concider a Fatbike, you can ride to the beach and then on the beach! and they make comfy commuter because of the fat wheels.

An ebike will not help you ride better. There should be some courses on bike riding. Bike riding has come a long way in the last 20 years*. There are a lot of YouTube videos on bike handling you can watch and go do on your own too.

Please learn to ride first, then test ride many bikes as you can. Tri bikes might be worth a look too.

*This was NOT the state of riding 20 years ago, but we know so much more now and have much better equipment. I include this not as example of what you will do, but to illustrate how far biking has come. YouTube can help you learn to ride safely on a beach boardwalk with full groceries. Chasing Whistler's Fastest Woman Mountain Bike Rider! - YouTube

Pedego Fort Meyers is a dealer near you.
Address: 2030 W First St e, Fort Myers, FL 33901

Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 10AM Tue

Phone: (239) 332-8080

Pedego has one of the best warranties and customer service networks in the business.

Give them a call and see if they have a trike you can test ride.

1606751562931.png

As you've discovered, riding a trike is quite different than a 2 wheeler. All trikes have the same geometry and handle in a similar manner. They take some practice to ride safely.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

When we were visiting your area in 2018, I read where Ft. Meyers had banned ebikes on their beach, much to the consternation of a shop that was renting fatbikes to tourists. Another article from last year said Sanibel was only allowing class 1 on the island, but did not pass a law requiring permits to enforce the class 1,

We rode across the causeway bridge to reach Sanibel. A tough climb for road bikers, we caught a pair at the top, but didn't try to pass. The potential 100 foot fall over the railing was my worry.

bridge.jpg

So, what say you? If you were me, where would you start looking?
I am nearly you. And I researched over 50 e-trikes. Here is the biggest takeaway - if you have never ridden a trike before (I have) you will find turning very difficult. It is the opposite of what you do for a 2 wheeler and also not overly comfortable. Even on the most stable trike. A lot of folks crash/tip over on turns.
So I have a tilting trike. Tilting trikes allow the front wheel (or wheels if it 2 in the front one in the back) to tilt like a 2 wheeled bike into the turns. It makes turning MUCH easier and safer because the trike won't tip over. Mine is the Bintelli Trio. It has one front wheel and 2 rear. I love it. There are about 4 on the market that have 2 front wheels and one in the rear. Not my preference but others swear by them. I would recommend tilting trikes to anyone who is used to 2 wheelers and can balance a bit once they are going. (when you stop/start you flip a switch and the tilt locks so it is like a normal trike and you can't fall over.)
Now if you really never want to go fast or tilt or turn much and you are always on the flat, and you more want a mobility scooter's cool hip nephew, then you might like the Pegego or Evelo Compass. However if you don't mind the kind of brake where you pedal backwards to brake (coaster brake) look at the Worksman port-o-trike (electric) which is cheaper and has lots of colors. Another fun one is Sixthreezero Everyjourney which is low tech but comfy.
Have fun riding!

Back