Need e-bike recs to help disabled son

Tuffy's Dad

20453-571302975b2390306ba9eb70506c152e.jpg
20454-3b3ec0e061c03462bda0fba4ac23c9fd.jpg

Hi All: My special needs son and I have enjoyed many years on this tandem trike (see photo). He is now 18 years-old and doesn't pedal (much), is 5'8" tall and 150 lbs. The trailer is heavy also, weighing about 50 lbs. Now that I am 60 years-old it has become harder to tow him especially on a grade. We are looking to make 10-20 mile rides with some minor but long grades most often at the beach.

I have never ridden an electric bike, but am hopeful an electric option will help us. I have viewed a number of EBR reviews and others, but have not seen anyone address this particular scenario. There is a lot to learn and many options so I am seeking any and all information from those more informed than myself.

The options as I understand them are:

Electric tandem trike (we need three wheels, not two): there are front/back and side/side arrangements. Also, we have minimal storage at home and transportation may be an issue. Performance may be underwhelming -- more a leisure ride? I don't know for sure... (I transport via an F-150 with 5.5' bed; I can currently lift the trike into the truck bed but I do have ramps if needed). Most expensive option.

Add-on an electric kit to my bike: Lowest cost option and I understand they are very good, but I just don't know if they are good for towing my son. Is it too demanding a load for my standard road bike mechanicals perhaps (at times I have some front fork lift currently). If okay, what configuration is best for weight distribution and towing (front, mid, rear), power/weight questions with motor sizes, etc.

New E-Bike: Same config questions as above, also need a standard seat post for mounting the trike. Should it be road or hybrid style? What size motor? And especially which brands? The prices are all over the place! Can I get away with a $1400 ebike? If so, an easy choice. $3K is a harder choice...

The above are my most basic inquiries, and I am sure there are many other important details I need to know. I need to narrow down my options and would greatly appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0359.jpg
    907.8 KB · Views: 820
Great recs, thanks. I have come across these bikes in my search and especially like the Rad line. The towing issue is one that is hard to assess. No one really tests this aspect of the bikes. Thanks very much for the response.

I have a RadWagon with a 750w rear direct drive. They are nice once you get going, but they don't do too well on hills. I have to downshift to help with the climb especially with all my gear. I now have a 350 watt geared hub on the front and that has helped a lot with the climbs. If you like to shift, then I would go with a geared hub.

As someone new to electric bikes, it may be safer to get a finished bike unless you like working on your bike. There are kits (like the BBSHD) that will handle towing with no problems but that requires someone to install it.

Between Rad and Juiced bikes, I would probably recommended Juice's geared hub over Rad bikes especially for towing.

I have a RadWagon with a 750w rear direct drive. They are nice once you get going, but they don't do too well on hills. I have to downshift to help with the climb especially with all my gear. I now have a 350 watt geared hub on the front and that has helped a lot with the climbs. If you like to shift, then I would go with a geared hub.

As someone new to electric bikes, it may be safer to get a finished bike unless you like working on your bike. There are kits (like the BBSHD) that will handle towing with no problems but that requires someone to install it.

Between Rad and Juiced bikes, I would probably recommended Juice's geared hub over Rad bikes especially for towing.

Thanks so much for this very valuable information. I did see the Radwagon and your input is appreciated. I will definitely look at a geared hub setup and I like the recommendation about getting a finished bike rather than kit. Again, I so appreciate this response!

Most I ever towed is 70 pounds with my BBS02 middrive kit. However, I look at it this way. If you can do something now with a bike using leg power, you can do it easier with a motor.

In this case, you're talking 350-400 pounds. You won't go much faster than 10 mph anyway. I couldn't see how bike brakes would work at higher speeds. You must already know how to shift to get that weight moving. You'll still be shifting like a trucker with a motor. With these caveats. I think a reasonably strong ebike would work.

Perhaps a bike shop would be willing to hook up your trailer and let you demo one of their mid drives. I don't feel that there are many direct drive or geared motors on production ebikes with sufficient power, unless you get into fat bikes. The Radrover and Voltbike Yukon have 750W geared motors, and I also have a home built fatbike with the same motor.

Most I ever towed is 70 pounds with my BBS02 middrive kit. However, I look at it this way. If you can do something now with a bike using leg power, you can do it easier with a motor.

In this case, you're talking 350-400 pounds. You won't go much faster than 10 mph anyway. I couldn't see how bike brakes would work at higher speeds. You must already know how to shift to get that weight moving. You'll still be shifting like a trucker with a motor. With these caveats. I think a reasonably strong ebike would work.

Perhaps a bike shop would be willing to hook up your trailer and let you demo one of their mid drives. I don't feel that there are many direct drive or geared motors on production ebikes with sufficient power, unless you get into fat bikes. The Radrover and Voltbike Yukon have 750W geared motors, and I also have a home built fatbike with the same motor.

Thanks a lot for the information Harry. The consensus is definitely to get a new ebike for the job. I have checked out the websites for the "fat bikes" you mentioned. I assume we will be riding on pavement, especially since the trailer has no suspension, and I understand these bikes are fine for that. The prices including shipping are agreeable as well. I will definitely look into trying a demo of the two bikes you mentioned. Thanks again for this very useful information!

A bike with normal sized tires is easier to pedal and the "650W" rating of, say, the Juiced Bikes CrossCurrent S is that of sustainable maximum power, which is about equivalent to a relatively loggy to pedal fat tire bike requiring 750W for equivalent pulling. Either style will pull the trike very well, and at surprisingly high speeds on level ground, where wind resistance growing in magnitude nearing 20mph will be the main drag.

My two cents. A mid drive will let you use the gears for more power. Bafang is my choice.
Bafang Ultra motor is what you need. 1000w/1500w peak. Biktrix, M2S and Luna sell complete bikes with that motor. Luna sells a modified "Ludicrous" version with 2500w rating with large 52v batteries (get 52v if at all possible - much more usable power). Luna also sells kits as well as complete bikes. I'd call Luna and see if they'd work with you on some sort of custom solution.

Thanks guys -- a lot to think about!

So far I understand that for my towing needs the following features are desirable: geared hub, larger motor, hydraulic brakes, full suspension. So based on that, I am thinking a mountain bike configuration is best. Hub and motor selections speak for themselves; the full suspension is necessary due to the trailer movement over smaller rises and falls -- can really rock my bike. The fat tires, while more rolling resistance, may provide more durability for those same stressors.

I am looking at the various frames thinking of the weight of the trailer, and maybe the best solution is assembling a custom rig using an especially strong suspended mountain bike frame and fork as a starting point. I would prefer a pre-assembled unit, and have looked at the M2S Kush (mid 350W) and Dual Sport R500+ (rear 500W) fat bikes, Voltbike Enduro (mid 350W). Do these options seem reasonable? Please critique my logic as it seems fit.

Thanks again for the great information! I'll ride a few bikes this week and update.

Of course, please continue to educate me on this decision.

LOL. If it were not freezing outside, I'd put a tow strap on my Mazda miata (2000 pounds) and see if I could get it moving with a bike. It's easy to push with my legs.

Maybe we're all overthinking this problem. After all, you're pulling your son now. By the way, I put smooth tires on my 60 pound fat bike and I occasionally ride it around with the motor off. Gone as far as six miles, all flatlands here.

Bafang Ultra motor is what you need. 1000w/1500w peak. Biktrix, M2S and Luna sell complete bikes with that motor. Luna sells a modified "Ludicrous" version with 2500w rating with large 52v batteries (get 52v if at all possible - much more usable power). Luna also sells kits as well as complete bikes. I'd call Luna and see if they'd work with you on some sort of custom solution.

Definitely like these bikes, thanks so much.

Back