Narrowed it down to two different ebikes

weizguy

since I can’t afford my dream bike, I have narrowed it down to these two:

Frey CC or Luna Fat Babe

the Frey seems like all I really need with full suspension and powerful motor and looks nice although I have to wait for it to ship from China while the Luna has the fat tires and the belt drive I likE and it ships from California

if I can get the Luna with a Rohloff IGH, which of the two are a better choice?

two totally different bikes, hard to say whats better because that depends on what you want to do with the bike

Getting a Rohloff onto the Luna is going to add a significant amount of cost over the Frey. Other than that, it just comes down to which combo you want more: the belt/IGH and fat tires or FS and a high-speed commuter. Unless almost all of your riding is in the snow, I think the Frey is obviously the better bike. But I'm not the one buying it. :)

(For the record, the Luna website lists 65.5 lbs while a comment on the Electrek article states Frey told them about 70 lbs - not much difference, if a random Electrek commenter is to be believed).

I think I like the Frey, but I am waiting to see if I can get cheaper shipping, almost a third the cost of the bike is so steep

well with shipping, the Frey is already $1000 more than the Luna

Yikes!!! I didn't realize it was that steep.

I know you've narrowed down your options, but at that higher price point the Juggernaut Ultra FS is also going to offer most of what the Frey does. The benefit for you would be the ability to run either fat tires or 27.5 plus tires on it. Looks like you can also order a rear rack, though admittedly it's less of a commuter.

Back