Narrowed down. Cero One or Dost Drop chain.

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
So my wife has zero interest riding on the back so a TERN is off the table. So:
Cero One. Weird and funky. No dual battery option but I can always carry a spare. Common components by a company I know, Shimano. Am I willing to give up my throttle?

DOST Drop chain. Obviously bigger wheels. Faster top speed with a throttle. But speed isn't the only selling point as I've discovered 20mph works just fine for my needs. Dual battery option but kinda kills the step thru area.

Using mostly for errands and exercise. Not commuting in really hot or cold weather. Being wimpy no rain if I can help it. My area and commute (14 miles each way) are flat. Not carrying super heavy loads either. I already read about both motors and their suspected faults and their even in my opinion. I guess I can repair the Bafang myself if needed. I do have a Steps servicing shop in my area.

Comparing the two the Cero has better parts. Dost looks sturdier, but looks can be deceiving sometimes. Don't care about the lack of a suspension fork on the Cero. Toss in opinions and any feedback please. And no, I will NOT murder this ebike! This will be a long term investment.

Thanks for any help and sorry so long winded!

Will you be sharing the bike? The Cero’s Shimano Steps motor has a torque PAS sensor, and the Nexus Inter 5e IGH makes it easy to ride because you can shift down gear when stopped which is useful for a Class 1 with no throttle, I like the feature that lets you twist the handlebar 90 degrees which is useful for storage, I wish I had that feature at the crowded bike rack where I park at work. The lighter weight would help when you want to lift it onto a car or bus bike rack, and it has that massive front rack if you want to go grocery shopping.

The power of the BBS02 on the Dost Drop means you will be able to throttle confidently when you just want to clear an intersection, and the throttle complements the cadence PAS sensor in the motor. Consider the CVT version if you want to be able to shift gear easily although it will add weight. The dual battery feature would be useful if you use the throttle a lot or ride at higher Class 3 speeds, but again adds more weight.

tldr version: Cero = more bike-like and efficient, Dost = moar power/scooter-like.

Last edited:
No sharing the bike so sizing isn't an issue. And the bike will have a dedicated parking space in the garage next to my Piaggio Liberty. The Dost with a CVT will not be available till early next year but I can always wait I guess. The bet the Dost would be extra heavy with a CVT!

Yes, the throttle would be kinda nice and I know I wouldn't abuse it as this bike will be ridden more for exercise. But I did the throttle thru intersections on all my prior ebikes though. I forgot about doing that until you mentioned it. Finally, I have plenty of space at the bike rack at work. And no lifting it on a bus rack. If the bike breaks down on the way to work I'll just call in. And I have a old pick-up truck to move it if needed.

My only experience with belt drive is a co-worker. He was an early adapter of belt drives and he kept having the rear sprocket falling apart on his Nexis. Turns out he had the belt to tight. I plan on getting the little finger tool to check the tension and keep it safely tucked in my bike trunk if I go belt drive.

Choices, choices, choices.

Last edited:
Cero One would be my choice. Such a cool bike. I know you said No to Tern but I think that the Quick Haul P9 is a really great deal for a cargo bike.

Tern is off the table for hauling needs but obviously cannot be overlooked. I have a bike shop in Northern Virginia that's gonna call me when their inventory comes in. Don't forget the new Tern Quick Hauls! I'm not in a dire position that I NEED a ebike right now but I'd hate to miss the whole riding season.

I might have pulled the trigger on a Cero One this morning. I did it early and half awake so the reality won't sink in until later when I see it on my bank statement, or I get a 'Was this you?' fraud call!

Yup, I ordered the Cero. This is funny but good at the same time. My bank never notified me of a $4000 purchase but Cero called me to verify it was me and the order was legit. Didn't ask for any card info but wondered why I have a P.O. Box for my mailing address. I've had a P.O. Box since I was 14, my mom had to co-sign on it. I had that P.O. Box for almost 35 years, then traded up to a larger box on the other side of the isle after I got married. Not only is all my bank info thru the P.O. Box but all my DMV is P.O. Box based as well. I have a P.O. Box on my drivers licence. But good on Cero for doing their own investigative work on such a large order, even if it was to protect themselves from a possible fraud.

Back