My story: Juiced bike damaged during shipment.

Westlafadeaway

Region
USA
I ordered a Juiced cross-current and had some problems with shipment and thought I'd share my story now that the refund has gone through. Sorry if this is long. Short of the story: if you get a damaged bike, don't let them pull a "restocking fee" on you (at least if you live in California).

I ordered the bike around the holidays, and was surprised, based on stories here, to get it so fast- 9 days later. They are in SoCal and I live in Los Angeles. Of course the fed-ex ground shipper dropped the box off at my door and didn't knock- just left it. We realized it was there because of an Amazon package arrived. I later looked it up on fed-ex and the delivery guy signed my name (misspelled my name, too).

Had I checked the box first, I'd have rejected it- the top rear corner was all chewed up. But since the delivery guy was gone I figured I might as well look. It had a lot of styrofoam type packing to absorb damage and seemed ok and I immediately start building. I get to the last item of the build- the rear wheel, and I realize the rear pannier was bent down about 3 inches. Hmmm.... and I can't turn the wheel. So I snap pictures and send them off. Within a few minutes I get a response back, "we'll send you out a new pannier." Ok, great response and super timely- so I remove the pannier, and then I realize just how heavy and solid the pannier is (10 pounds?- seriously solid piece of metal) and the amount of force it would have taken to bend it... then as I remove the screws I note the screws holding it are all shot- the frame holding the screws are all cracked and stripped. Then I start envisioning the box getting hit by a truck, dropped off the truck on the corner at a high height, or something slamming into the back corner... now I know why the driver signed my name. And the poor battery pack and all those wires, who knows what hit this thing and what problems might come up in a month or when it gets wet.

I immediately call Juice and explain the problem, and I offer to just come down and do an exchange. Sure, that's not a problem, they said, but with Covid it might take some work because there's no one at the delivery site as everyone's remote working, so a supervisor will call me back. Ok. Then radio silence.... I have to call and email and I got a little frustrated with the sudden lack of communication after such prompt responses. I finally get an email from customer service, saying they'll only replace the pannier. Screw that. So I reply I don't want the bike anymore. I'll drop it off tomorrow. No, they reply, I am only entitled to a new pannier and if I have electronic issues I need to send a video of the issue. So I go into litigious mode and double check the California small claims court rules. Because the contract was entered in Los Angeles County, but they are based in SD, I could choose jurisdiction. So they'd have to come here or do a zoom call. I've gone to small claims a few times and it's all document and oral argument- show the documents, show the damage, make your argument, and the judge decides. I'd win.

So I emailed back and said I don't want the bike, and if they don't give me a full refund immediately, let me just drop it off, and when the dust settles I'll take you to small claims court and you'll pay me back in full, and pay the court fees and process server costs (ie about $200 total). Response: Ok, here's a slip- mail it back. Shipping it back in the ripped box was a headache.

I just got my full refund, so now I feel ok to tell my story here (I held off because I'm sure they'll read this eventually and didn't need to slow my refund down as pay back for this review). I have no bad feelings with Juiced. It would have been a good bike had the delivery not f-ed it up, and if there wasn't COVID they might have just let me come down and do an exchange, so it was mostly out of their hands. That said, I am now convinced that if you receive a damaged bike, and discover the damage after accepting the bike, they have to give you a full refund. Their boilerplate "restocking fee" I see on these ebike pages is garbage- the shipping container is a regular cardboard box meant to ship televisions that can be fully encapsulated in styro, it is not designed to hold 80 pounds, and it weighs too much for how they packed it to guarantee the bike will arrive in 100% good condition. I believe Juiced gave me excellent service up until they realized they'd have to eat the bike and shipping, but someone made a bad call that soured my relationship with them. For the price, the bike was a good bike, and I'd have been pretty happy with it (for the price) had it arrived in better condition. I hope they have insurance on the shipping and get money from fed-ex.

Another challenge I had was the box: it was ripped up and so I went to fed ex and said I have a bike I need to ship but I'm afraid it's going to arrive more damaged than it is and can they pack and ship. "Sure- $25 for the box and $35 to pack it". That weekend, I show up with the bike and someone says "Oh, we don't carry that bike box, go to the bigger store at x address, they must keep those boxes in stock. So I drive there, and the kid is like "oh, you know, we don't have that box in stock"... and he glances at the old timer next to him who nods... they just didn't want to do it, the bastards. after calling around someone offered to pack it for $400. I ended up buying a $10 roll of super strength tape and using the entire roll on the box and paying a fee to have them come to me to pick it up.

And yes, having looked at it, I payed almost 4 times more for a really great bike that I will hopefully have in 2 weeks....

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Disappointing but not shocking. It's hard to mediate an issue like this, especially when even in the best of cases shipping can go awry. You're also ordering when bikes are in short supply so sellers can operate with some impunity. Lastly, many of these value brands deliberately appeal to people willing to take some risk to save a few bucks, but that leaves some people like you getting the short end of the stick.

That said, citing covid as a reason not to take the bike back sounds like BS. The distribution center is in SD, I believe Chula Vista. Juiced doesn't have it's warehouse run by robots, there's already someone there. They were just hoping you'd give up if you couldn't come to SD. As long as you came when it wasn't raining, returning the bike outside shouldn't be much issue.

I'm a former CCS owner and never had issues with it, but didn't use it a lot due to moving around. But that was years ago, the CCS has stagnated and may be Juiced's worst selling model based on comments from the founder, plus Ride1Up and other brands now have some compelling alternatives.

"the frame holding the screws are all cracked and stripped."

Was the bike frame itself cracked?

I ordered a Juiced cross-current and had some problems with shipment and thought I'd share my story now that the refund has gone through. Sorry if this is long. Short of the story: if you get a damaged bike, don't let them pull a "restocking fee" on you (at least if you live in California).

I ordered the bike around the holidays, and was surprised, based on stories here, to get it so fast- 9 days later. They are in SoCal and I live in Los Angeles. Of course the fed-ex ground shipper dropped the box off at my door and didn't knock- just left it. We realized it was there because of an Amazon package arrived. I later looked it up on fed-ex and the delivery guy signed my name (misspelled my name, too).

Had I checked the box first, I'd have rejected it- the top rear corner was all chewed up. But since the delivery guy was gone I figured I might as well look. It had a lot of styrofoam type packing to absorb damage and seemed ok and I immediately start building. I get to the last item of the build- the rear wheel, and I realize the rear pannier was bent down about 3 inches. Hmmm.... and I can't turn the wheel. So I snap pictures and send them off. Within a few minutes I get a response back, "we'll send you out a new pannier." Ok, great response and super timely- so I remove the pannier, and then I realize just how heavy and solid the pannier is (10 pounds?- seriously solid piece of metal) and the amount of force it would have taken to bend it... then as I remove the screws I note the screws holding it are all shot- the frame holding the screws are all cracked and stripped. Then I start envisioning the box getting hit by a truck, dropped off the truck on the corner at a high height, or something slamming into the back corner... now I know why the driver signed my name. And the poor battery pack and all those wires, who knows what hit this thing and what problems might come up in a month or when it gets wet.

I immediately call Juice and explain the problem, and I offer to just come down and do an exchange. Sure, that's not a problem, they said, but with Covid it might take some work because there's no one at the delivery site as everyone's remote working, so a supervisor will call me back. Ok. Then radio silence.... I have to call and email and I got a little frustrated with the sudden lack of communication after such prompt responses. I finally get an email from customer service, saying they'll only replace the pannier. Screw that. So I reply I don't want the bike anymore. I'll drop it off tomorrow. No, they reply, I am only entitled to a new pannier and if I have electronic issues I need to send a video of the issue. So I go into litigious mode and double check the California small claims court rules. Because the contract was entered in Los Angeles County, but they are based in SD, I could choose jurisdiction. So they'd have to come here or do a zoom call. I've gone to small claims a few times and it's all document and oral argument- show the documents, show the damage, make your argument, and the judge decides. I'd win.

So I emailed back and said I don't want the bike, and if they don't give me a full refund immediately, let me just drop it off, and when the dust settles I'll take you to small claims court and you'll pay me back in full, and pay the court fees and process server costs (ie about $200 total). Response: Ok, here's a slip- mail it back. Shipping it back in the ripped box was a headache.

I just got my full refund, so now I feel ok to tell my story here (I held off because I'm sure they'll read this eventually and didn't need to slow my refund down as pay back for this review). I have no bad feelings with Juiced. It would have been a good bike had the delivery not f-ed it up, and if there wasn't COVID they might have just let me come down and do an exchange, so it was mostly out of their hands. That said, I am now convinced that if you receive a damaged bike, and discover the damage after accepting the bike, they have to give you a full refund. Their boilerplate "restocking fee" I see on these ebike pages is garbage- the shipping container is a regular cardboard box meant to ship televisions that can be fully encapsulated in styro, it is not designed to hold 80 pounds, and it weighs too much for how they packed it to guarantee the bike will arrive in 100% good condition. I believe Juiced gave me excellent service up until they realized they'd have to eat the bike and shipping, but someone made a bad call that soured my relationship with them. For the price, the bike was a good bike, and I'd have been pretty happy with it (for the price) had it arrived in better condition. I hope they have insurance on the shipping and get money from fed-ex.

Another challenge I had was the box: it was ripped up and so I went to fed ex and said I have a bike I need to ship but I'm afraid it's going to arrive more damaged than it is and can they pack and ship. "Sure- $25 for the box and $35 to pack it". That weekend, I show up with the bike and someone says "Oh, we don't carry that bike box, go to the bigger store at x address, they must keep those boxes in stock. So I drive there, and the kid is like "oh, you know, we don't have that box in stock"... and he glances at the old timer next to him who nods... they just didn't want to do it, the bastards. after calling around someone offered to pack it for $400. I ended up buying a $10 roll of super strength tape and using the entire roll on the box and paying a fee to have them come to me to pick it up.

And yes, having looked at it, I payed almost 4 times more for a really great bike that I will hopefully have in 2 weeks....
Sorry for your trouble and glad it worked out in the end. I've got a CCX en route from CA to FL, due to arrive on Tues., so not exactly the kind of story I was hoping to see. :)

Hey Adam, pay close attention to the top corner of the box- and don't let the driver leave without looking at the box first- and knowing my experience I'll have my phone ready to snap a picture if they try to split without my signature. I'm sure I was that 1 out of a 1,000 bad shipments that goes awry. And they were prompt with my problems. I'd also suggest seeing if you really need that rear pannier/cage- that think weighs a lot. Enjoy!

I'll definitely inspect the box closely before signing for it.

I think the shipping companies are stressed with COVID. Seem to damage more packages than normal (which was never great anyway). I'm surprised companies like Juiced don't double box for added security. Probably wouldn't have helped in your case, though. To do that kind of damage they must have heaved the box off the back of the truck onto the pavement.

Had I checked the box first, I'd have rejected it- the top rear corner was all chewed up.
I had this happen with a bikesdirect fatbike. Their small print indicates rejecting a shipment and returning gets the owner charged for the expense of the return. They expect buyers to repair.

I had this happen with a bikesdirect fatbike. Their small print indicates rejecting a shipment and returning gets the owner charged for the expense of the return. They expect buyers to repair.
That's nuts and I still have to wonder if it would hold up in court. I could see if their packing is secure enough to avoid damage and adequate to protect the bike from damage in transit. I think the seller would have to convince the judge that a soft paper box is going to adequately protect a 70 pound bike and if the box got ripped, they failed in their responsibility. It is a reasonableness test I think- is what they did reasonable? I would argue no.

For the record, my CrossCurrent X arrived today. The box was pretty beaten up but I'm happy to report that there was no damage to the bike. It came late in the day so I didn't have much time to test ride it after I got it all put together. As far as I can tell it's in perfect condition and it seems to ride great.

OTOH, I also ordered the Kinekt suspension seatpost and Juiced sent me the large size instead of the medium I ordered, so that's a bit of a bummer. Not a big deal. I'm a happy camper.

My RC-S arrived in Yuma in perfect condition. Box was unscathed. The bike is awesome! The torque/cadence system is incredible. A buddy in Yuma had an identical experience with the same bike. I thought the packaging adequate. The bikes ship in perfect condition. It's all carrier related damage and for some reason they don't seem to be held accountable. It's not just Juiced. My R1U 700 was shipped in a similar box. Also no damage. It can be done. Also the carrier told me my shipment was late because normally a female drives my route and they had to wait and schedule a guy to do the delivery. It's tough

Last edited by a moderator:
In California it is incredibly easy- I've done it 3 times. I also appeared in Atlanta once. The judge even remembered me 6 months later. Go to the court's website, fill out a profile, then fill out a couple of questions regarding jurisdiction, $10 grand or less, you get a case number and a hearing date, print it all out, pay a process server $100 to $130 for service. Appear.

I'll definitely inspect the box closely before signing for it.

I think the shipping companies are stressed with COVID. Seem to damage more packages than normal (which was never great anyway). I'm surprised companies like Juiced don't double box for added security. Probably wouldn't have helped in your case, though. To do that kind of damage they must have heaved the box off the back of the truck onto the pavement.
Everyone should be aware that FedEX is notoriously negligent. I shipped using UPS for years with NO problems. One year I decided to ship a few personal effects, a foldable bike, and (silly me) a well boxed computer. EVERYTHING arrived damaged. I have never used FedEx again except to photocopy at Kinkos/FedEx.

I like my Espin Nero, but these direct to consumer bike sellers are not very genuine. My bike seems to be good quality, but the communication with the company was average at best and often subpar. Good luck everyone!

Everyone should be aware that FedEX is notoriously negligent. I shipped using UPS for years with NO problems. One year I decided to ship a few personal effects, a foldable bike, and (silly me) a well boxed computer. EVERYTHING arrived damaged. I have never used FedEx again except to photocopy at Kinkos/FedEx.

I like my Espin Nero, but these direct to consumer bike sellers are not very genuine. My bike seems to be good quality, but the communication with the company was average at best and often subpar. Good luck everyone!
I suspect it depends on where one lives and the relative quality of one's local hub. In my case I generally find FedEx to be better. I buy a lot of wine by mail order, which is a pretty good test. At one point, orders shipped with UPS were being returned damaged at about a 30% clip. FedEx, OTOH, has very few returns.

This is why I had my serial 1 delivered to the dealership and pay $150 for assembly. Of something ever happens, I’ll be able to say that serial 1 took delivery and completed final assembly.
Yeah, it’s easy enough to do it on your own, when it’s this much at stake, much rather have that separation.

Back