My rear wheel has a wobble in it...

Shawnski

When I lift my rear up and hit the throttle you can see a wobble in it, I also noticed it a little when riding, some were saying my true is off and I need a spike adjustment..... is this true?

A simple spoke adjustment is likely all you need. There are several good you-tube video's on how to do this yourself. A spoke wrench makes the job easier but a pair of pliers will work if you're careful.

Since it's an e-bike, the best solution though is to take it to your LBS. They may be able to do it while you wait.

I would also double-check the tire to make sure it is seated properly along the rim. I upgraded my tires to 120 tpi Vee8 tires and they are very soft/flimsy and sometime seat in the Radrover rim at different levels. I have to let air out and adjust if I air up from a flat. I have 3 Rad Power Bikes and pretty much 1/4 -1/3 of the spokes where loose and needed to be torqued to the same level (two 2016 Radrovers, one Radcity step-thru).

I would turn the bike upside down to see how much it wobbles or if you see the tire out of round while spinning. Another thing to check on is to see if the wobble is also with the disc brake:
- disk brake wobble: maybe a out of true spoke issue
- no disk brake wobble: tire issue not seated properly along the rim and/or just a jacked up tire

Not a 100% test. I heard a ticking sound with my spokes when I was riding; but, no noise with zero weight on the rear tire. It was from a few of very loose spokes causing the flex/ticking sound when riding. I still have a little side-to-side wobble on my rear tire; but, my brakes don't rub and I don't feel the slight side-to-side wobble when riding up 26 mph on some downhill runs.

Disc brake wobble can be a kind of "iffy" test since most rotors are manufactured with fairly thin metal and tend to warp easily. However, the rest of mrgold35's ideas are spot on and easy for you to do. One other thing to check while you have the bike upside down or the rear wheel elevated is to check the snugness of the inner axle nut or that you haven't had a spacer break or get lost. You'll recognize this if the the whole wheel moves from side to side when holding the tire & wheel and gently shaking it in a sideways motion. Not common but can happen. I've seen one or both worn lock nuts be a cause for this.

I would also double-check the tire to make sure it is seated properly along the rim. I upgraded my tires to 120 tpi Vee8 tires and they are very soft/flimsy and sometime seat in the Radrover rim at different levels. I have to let air out and adjust if I air up from a flat. I have 3 Rad Power Bikes and pretty much 1/4 -1/3 of the spokes where loose and needed to be torqued to the same level (two 2016 Radrovers, one Radcity step-thru).

I would turn the bike upside down to see how much it wobbles or if you see the tire out of round while spinning. Another thing to check on is to see if the wobble is also with the disc brake:
- disk brake wobble: maybe a out of true spoke issue
- no disk brake wobble: tire issue not seated properly along the rim and/or just a jacked up tire

Not a 100% test. I heard a ticking sound with my spokes when I was riding; but, no noise with zero weight on the rear tire. It was from a few of very loose spokes causing the flex/ticking sound when riding. I still have a little side-to-side wobble on my rear tire; but, my brakes don't rub and I don't feel the slight side-to-side wobble when riding up 26 mph on some downhill runs.
@mrgold35 Thank you and I actually have that same sound on one of my other ebikes in the rear wheel, it stops when weight it taken off the rear but starts when I sit down towards the rear, I checked everything and for the love of god couldnt find where this noise was coming from, I pretty much said to myself it has to be the spokes so I will look into getting them adjusted.. Thank you for your reply.

As a long time mechanic and wheel builder I caution everybody trying DIY wheel truing yourself. It is very easy to mess up your wheel if you don't know what you're doing.
If you really want to try, learn all you can online and then work in small increments. Half turns of the spoke max. And for Pete's sake, buy a spoke wrench that fits your spoke nipple size and don't use pliers or an adjustable wrench.

What @mrgold35 said. Make sure it's the wheel that's wobbling and not a poorly seated tire giving that impression. I've made the mistake of looking at the tire while free spinning and thinking the wheel was out of true when it was really the tire not seated well.

Very hard to do when just lifting up the rear wheel...the bike ideally needs to be upside down, with the handlebar resting on an open recycling box to protect the gear on the bar. Turn off the power.

Once acheived, rotate the wheel, and brace a pencil against a stay so the tip is right against the metal wheel. Rotate and look for a wobble. With patience, and reading or viewing truing instructions, a wheel can be straightened out, keeping in mind that spokes must be worked on in groups, not individually. It's a challenge, but doable. Let a bike shop do it, and watch.

First, though, feel each spoke and look for obviously very loose ones...these can be gently tightened to the level of their neighbors...their neighbors are NOT the next spoke, but the one after that.

Good luck, and remember deep breaths, and go slowly.

As a long time mechanic and wheel builder I caution everybody trying DIY wheel truing yourself. It is very easy to mess up your wheel if you don't know what you're doing.
If you really want to try, learn all you can online and then work in small increments. Half turns of the spoke max. And for Pete's sake, buy a spoke wrench that fits your spoke nipple size and don't use pliers or an adjustable wrench.
Actually brought the front wheel of the City to the LBS to get a a Park wrench...turned out to be the blue one, which they had to order. Need to drop a few $$ there, too.

Last edited:
Back