My next bike..............

Link to the builders page:

http://www.winterbicycles.com

A Rohloff is heavier but usually people forget to subtract the weight of the derailleurs etc. I've already lost more than the three pounds riding. You get the same online noise with the Gates belt drives and I am glad I took a chance on the belt drive too. Changing a tire is not a problem with a belt either. I did buy a couple extra belts to keep on hand just in case.

The chain and cassette are the wink links on my Turbo S. A couple days in the rain and it starts to squeak.

A Di2 Alfine with a belt sounds like a good way to go and an ebike doesn't really need the range of the Rohloff.
Gorgeous bikes...

I just got off the phone with my bike tech. He loves the rohloff hub but knows me well and suggested the new Shimano Alfine Di2 electronic shifting internal hub. He has installed and worked on them and he said that once they are set up correctly they are almost flawless. He indicated that the speed of the shift can be altered and that the battery that comes with the unit may last months between charges. So, electric motor, electric shifting, and a gates carbon fiber belt. I am talking myself into this....
I'm interested to see how that goes. Keep in mind the current shift sensor is a roller on the cable. Electronic shifting will require you to pull a lead from the DI2 system to get a signal. I imagine it could be done but it could be problematic and potentially impact the warranty on the related items. Given the Rolhoff uses two cables it could also cause some trouble. I'm not trying to discourage this, I guess I'm just conceptualizing how I would do this in my head.

I'm interested to see how that goes. Keep in mind the current shift sensor is a roller on the cable. Electronic shifting will require you to pull a lead from the DI2 system to get a signal. I imagine it could be done but it could be problematic and potentially impact the warranty on the related items. Given the Rolhoff uses two cables it could also cause some trouble. I'm not trying to discourage this, I guess I'm just conceptualizing how I would do this in my head.
If I use the DI2, we leave the existing Alfine 11 in place and simply install the electronic shifter. We will order the bike and the tech will advise. Problem is finding the bike.

If I use the DI2, we leave the existing Alfine 11 in place and simply install the electronic shifter. We will order the bike and the tech will advise. Problem is finding the bike.

Thanks.. I thought I was the only one around here with over the top ideas about customizing bikes...LOL

My LBS works on at least 2 of my bikes a week and will let me borrow any bike for sale or any widget in his shop... I might be putting his kid thru private school! (jk)

"I tried an Alfine and it seems to take a few seconds for the hub to find the gear."

If you tried an alfine on a focus w/ the 2.0 mid-drive motor you DO KNOW that there is a shift sensor that cuts power to the motor during the shift, right?

There is a shift sensor, but mid-drives have a tendency to be clunky. Alfine 11 is a fine IRH but there always seems to be a delay in shifting. Slight but nonetheless a delay.

Back