My New Build

HillAversion

Region
USA
Specialized bike with a Bafang BBS02 motor. I went with the 860c display and a 52v 8ah battery, which lives in the bag over the rear wheel.

I still have some tweaking to do, but I couldn’t be happier. It’s quiet, smooth and powerful. Hills have cease to exist. Kudos to the Electrify Bike Company for their help and support.

0079B6F3-B4BF-46B8-98C1-731C7ADA5ADA.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!
I started off with the battery in the back and it's just fine for most casual riding but ultimately put the battery in the triangle which is noticeably better for more aggressive riding giving the bike a better balanced and more nimble feel.
Another suggestion if it interests you is to get a small frame bag to hide the wires at the head tube.
But for now.... Enjoy!

Nice!
I started off with the battery in the back and it's just fine for most casual riding but ultimately put the battery in the triangle which is noticeably better for more aggressive riding giving the bike a better balanced and more nimble feel.
Another suggestion if it interests you is to get a small frame bag to hide the wires at the head tube.
But for now.... Enjoy!
The bike looks to be a flat foot design. The longer wheel base seems to mitigate much of the balance issue with a typical frame geometry. At least with my flat foot KHS and Townie frames.

The bike looks to be a flat foot design. The longer wheel base seems to mitigate much of the balance issue with a typical frame geometry. At least with my flat foot KHS and Townie frames.
It really depends on how aggressive you are when riding. A center of gravity is a center of gravity.
Making tips to the grocery store and putting around town it's no problem but if you are shifting weight and leaning into turns... plan B was a noticeable improvement.

Thanks.

I tried to keep it clean looking but it’s a challenge. I left enough slack in the front cables so I could turn the wheel 180 degrees in either direction without harming anything. I’ll give some thought to the handlebar bag, but for now I think it’s about as clean looking as I can get it.

The battery is a small one; it only takes up about half the space in the bag. The bike frame geometry doesn’t leave a lot of room between the tubes, but I’m okay with it where it is. I don’t think it weighs enough to mess with the center of gravity very much. Since taking the photo I added a small triangle bag between the horizontal tube and the vertical tube for tools and junk.

The motor installation pushed the chainring slightly outboard, so gears 1-3 are a little squirrelly now. I’ll probably be ordering a Lekkie chainring to correct that. It has a slight pie-plate shape that draws the teeth in closer to the frame. I’m hoping that will fix it. Before adding the motor it changed gears beautifully. If I can fix that I’ll be in bike nirvana.

Last edited:
Addendum:

I mentioned that the lower gears were a little squirrelly after installing the motor. It would pop out of gear and be noisy. I wanted to avoid excessive wear on the drivetrain so I ordered a Lekkie chainring. That helped somewhat, but it wasn’t a miracle cure.

After installing the Lekkie I did a careful adjustment of each gear on the rear derailleur. There’s a great YouTube video on this subject by the Park Tool people. The Lekkie and the derailleur adjustment did the trick. If you’re going to install a mid-drive motor this should probably be your last step. It’s well worth the time and trouble. My bike shifts beautifully now.

The tweaking is complete. Now there’s just riding.

Back