My Impression of the Luna Mighty Mini Display (Bafang 500C) on the Hydra

Cuz Vinny

The quick and dirty version, does it work? Yes it works but you will need to purchase the programming cable.

My full review follows.

Installed this display on my bike even after conversations with Pushkar questioned if Luna’s protocol would work with the X1 controller. I have this display on my other bikes and it’s my favorite because of the smaller footprint, full color, and doesn’t wash out in bright sunlight. It’s also a simplistic design in that it doesn’t have an attached on/off or control switch like some displays do. It’s programmable like other displays like top speed, tire sizes, PAS levels of 1-5 or 1-9 etc. It also gives the bike a cleaner look as it’s smaller, only has one wire to connect, and doesn’t stand out like a large center mounted display does.

The main negative with the display is that you don’t have the different modes the standard display gives you. With the Luna Mini display my bike is in sport mode all the time, no way to switch to the other modes. When I ride I rarely use PAS levels past level two. Anything over three the power is insane and will run the battery down quickly.

To use this display effectively you will need the programming cable for the X1 controller from Pushkar. With this you can set the wattage for the different PAS levels which is exactly what I plan to do in the near future. I’ll limit the wattage in the lower PAS levels with the last two levels for max power. With the programming cable the Luna Mini Display is a viable option to the larger display that comes with the Hydra. It’s not a simple plug and play option but still my display of choice.
68D2C4A4-D004-4179-8071-DBF93DEC4E84.jpeg

Wow, I thought I would have no interest in this display when I read about you planning it before. But, smaller does sound nice. Readable in direct sun sounds very nice.

Your Hydra looks incredible in direct light. I LIKE IT!

Wow, I thought I would have no interest in this display when I read about you planning it before. But, smaller does sound nice. Readable in direct sun sounds very nice.

Your Hydra looks incredible in direct light. I LIKE IT!
I had an EggRider on one of my other bikes and replaced it with this display. The Egg would wash out in direct sunlight and it was just too dam small for me to read. Size wise this is perfect. Not too small that it’s hard to see but not too large that it looks like a cell phone attached to your handlebars. It does lose some brightness in direct light but not to the point that it’s not readable.

@Cuz Vinny thanks for this! Do you know if the display can control lights integrated with the battery? I don't see a light on your Hydra but maybe one off your other bikes do.

I have the Bafang 500c on my BBSHD and I agree about the benefits. Another benefit that Cuz Vinny didn't mention is that it makes the bike harder to discern as an ebike. I think that this is important on trails avoiding some rider disdain and when locked up at the grocery store reducing some of its theft attractiveness. I looks like I'll need to order the programming cable as well.

Is this what you have? It doesn’t mention ultra in the compatible motors.

Is this what you have? It doesn’t mention ultra in the compatible motors.
This is the display I have on my bike.

I’m a fan of this display. Other than the fact that the name Luna is on your display, are you aware of any differences between yours and the one eBike essentials sells?

If I understand what you’ve written and based on a video I watched, it’s got up to 9 levels but one mode. With the Innotrace cable we use for ours, wouldn’t it still work the same because levels 6-9 could be set like Sport mode is currently set on the stock display, right? Ultimately the controller is what you’re programming, the display just shows the info.

I’m a fan of this display. Other than the fact that the name Luna is on your display, are you aware of any differences between yours and the one eBike essentials sells?

If I understand what you’ve written and based on a video I watched, it’s got up to 9 levels but one mode. With the Innotrace cable we use for ours, wouldn’t it still work the same because levels 6-9 could be set like Sport mode is currently set on the stock display, right? Ultimately the controller is what you’re programming, the display just shows the info.
Honestly I’m not sure if there is any difference other than Luna stuck their name on the display. I haven’t tested the standard Bafang 500C. As far as PAS levels you can have either 5 (what mine is set to) or 9. My plan is to use the programming cable to limit the max watts in the first three levels and have the last two be my sport mode. At least that’s what I’m hoping can be done, I haven’t tried it yet.

Honestly I’m not sure if there is any difference other than Luna stuck their name on the display. I haven’t tested the standard Bafang 500C. As far as PAS levels you can have either 5 (what mine is set to) or 9. My plan is to use the programming cable to limit the max watts in the first three levels and have the last two be my sport mode. At least that’s what I’m hoping can be done, I haven’t tried it yet.
If you set your PAS levels to 9, couldn't you do the exact same thing?

In the programming video that @pushkar made (see photo below), he uses the example of setting ECO mode torque to 15A which makes the motor act as if it's a 750 watt motor. In SPORT mode, he raises the torque amps to 45 to take advantage of the full 2300 watts.

If I understand what he's said correctly, you could set multiple "modes" on the 500C using 9 settings just by limiting the motor torque at each level. If you want level 1 to be 500 watts of power, you'd set the torque amps to about 10. For 750 watts 15, for 1000 watts 20, 1500 watts 30, etc.

From there it's just how much pedal assist in each mode. You could have three levels at 750 watts, three at 1000 watts, and three at 2300 watts each with it's own pedal assist level as you move up from level 1 to 9 all by just adjusting the torque amps.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you really don't lose anything except one level because with the stock display Eco mode is just level 1-5 and Sport mode 6-10. The 500C is just 9 levels instead of 10 and with the ability to program the X1 controller you really get the same capabilities as Eco and Sport should you want to program it that way.

Or I could be completely wrong LOL! 🤣🤣🤣

If I am wrong maybe somebody with a better understanding could help me understand.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 213130.jpg

If you set your PAS levels to 9, couldn't you do the exact same thing?

In the programming video that @pushkar made (see photo below), he uses the example of setting ECO mode torque to 15A which makes the motor act as if it's a 750 watt motor. In SPORT mode, he raises the torque amps to 45 to take advantage of the full 2300 watts.

If I understand what he's said correctly, you could set multiple "modes" on the 500C using 9 settings just by limiting the motor torque at each level. If you want level 1 to be 500 watts of power, you'd set the torque amps to about 10. For 750 watts 15, for 1000 watts 20, 1500 watts 30, etc.

From there it's just how much pedal assist in each mode. You could have three levels at 750 watts, three at 1000 watts, and three at 2300 watts each with it's own pedal assist level as you move up from level 1 to 9 all by just adjusting the torque amps.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you really don't lose anything except one level because with the stock display Eco mode is just level 1-5 and Sport mode 6-10. The 500C is just 9 levels instead of 10 and with the ability to program the X1 controller you really get the same capabilities as Eco and Sport should you want to program it that way.

Or I could be completely wrong LOL! 🤣🤣🤣

If I am wrong maybe somebody with a better understanding could help me understand.

View attachment 93326
Is this accurate that we can de-tune the Ultra to below 750W? If so, that's pretty excellent!

Back