My Favorite Bike Trails in the Northeastern US

How are the conditions at the pine creek gorge currently? Thinking of going up in a couple weeks
FWIW, I rode the trail last year during the first week in May. There were some branches & debris on the trail in a few spots since the DCNR hadn't yet done their annual "spring cleaning". There were a few soft spots as well.

They had 8" of snow last week but it's mostly gone now. No heavy rain in the 10 day forecast so the trail surface should be firm and mostly dry.

I'm looking to get out there myself in the next few weeks. I've got some projects to finish up around the homestead first though.

It's been a while since the last post on this thread...so here goes: I live in southern Vermont, but more often than not cross the border into New York state for all day rides. Northern Vermont has very impressive rail and recreational trails, but we don't always feel like traveling the better part of three hours by car. When we do, it's an overnight adventure. New York has done a fantastic job on recreational trail infrastructure, and perhaps should be a standalone thread on this forum.

With that said, New York is also a very regulated state. (Vermont is relatively relaxed. The credo is akin to "don't be an a**hole", and then you're good). I was thinking of checking out the finished portion of the Adirondack trail between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid in the next week or two. I was going to bring my Evelo Omega which is class 2 and alternate riding on my friend's Priority Current which she has set to Class 1. Class 1 is evidently the only type of e-bike allowed, and New York law enforcement, generally speaking, is tough on compliance violators. Has anyone here been on the Adirondack trail yet? Would I be in compliance if I unplugged the throttle? (I never use it anyway). The Evelo has "Class 2" painted below the seat post. Alternatively, I also own a throttle-less Current which I can bring instead.

In any case, I'd love to read first-hand impressions of this new trail overall before I make the trip.

Last edited:
It's been a while since the last post on this thread...so here goes: I live in southern Vermont, but more often than not cross the border into New York state for all day rides. Northern Vermont has very impressive rail and recreational trails, but we don't always feel like traveling the better part of three hours by car. When we do, it's an overnight adventure. New York has done a fantastic job on recreational trail infrastructure, and perhaps should be a standalone thread on this forum.

With that said, New York is also a very regulated state. (Vermont is relatively relaxed. The credo is akin to "don't be an a**hole" and you're good). I was thinking of checking out the finished portion of the Adirondack trail between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid in the next week or two. I was going to bring my Evelo Omega which is class 2 and alternate riding on my friend's Priority Current which she has set to Class 1. Class 1 is evidently the only type of e-bike allowed, and New York law enforcement, generally speaking, is tough on compliance violators. Has anyone here been on the Adirondack trail yet? Would I be in compliance if I unplugged the throttle? (I never use it anyway). The Evelo has "Class 2" painted below the seat post. Alternatively, I also own a throttle-less Current which I can bring instead.

In any case, I'd love to read first-hand impressions of this new trail overall before I make the trip.
I haven't tried the Adirondack Rail Trail yet. It's just 10 miles in length and not worth a 4+ hour drive. I've been waiting for additional sections to be completed before making the trip.

Some information on the trail is available here: https://www.traillink.com/trail/adirondack-rail-trail/ You need to be a member to view the trail map (It's worth the the price BTW), but you can read the description and trail reviews for free.

There is also the 16 mile Bloomingdale Bog Trail near Saranac Lake. It's pretty rough, but it might be worth a look: https://www.traillink.com/trail/bloomingdale-bog-trail/
In any case, May thru June is black fly season, so you may want to wait until July or later to make the trip.

I ride many trails in NY with my class 2 bike, and have yet to be questioned. I don't call attention to myself by riding like an idiot, and I'm always respectful to pedestrians and other bikers. As a precaution, I printed out this image and covered up the Class 2 label on the bike, using a piece of clear packing tape.

9pnryr2enk711b.jpg
Yes, it's deceitful, but I can always plead ignorance and say the bike came from the dealer that way. I hate breaking the law, but I adhere to it's spirit by not using the throttle, except for emergencies, and always use the pedals.

As for disconnecting the throttle, I'm not sure it would make a difference to some enforcement officers. It would certainly demonstrate that you were trying to adhere to the law though.

I rode the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail up near St. Johnsbury a few years ago. It was pretty rough and there were a few bridges missing. I've read it's been improved a bit though, have you been up that way?

Last edited:
I haven't tried the Adirondack Rail Trail yet. It's just 10 miles in length and not worth a 4+ hour drive. I've been waiting for additional sections to be completed before making the trip.

Some information on the trail is available here: https://www.traillink.com/trail/adirondack-rail-trail/ You need to be a member to view the trail map (It's worth the the price BTW), but you can read the description and trail reviews for free.

There is also the 16 mile Bloomingdale Bog Trail near Saranac Lake. It's pretty rough, but it might be worth a look: https://www.traillink.com/trail/bloomingdale-bog-trail/
In any case, May thru June is black fly season, so you may want to wait until July or later to make the trip.

I ride many trails in NY with my class 2 bike, and have yet to be questioned. I don't call attention to myself by riding like an idiot, and I'm always respectful to pedestrians and other bikers. As a precaution, I printed out this image and covered up the Class 2 label on the bike, using a piece of clear packing tape.

View attachment 175895
Yes, it's deceitful, but I can always plead ignorance and say the bike came from the dealer that way. I hate breaking the law, but I adhere to it's spirit by not using the throttle, except for emergencies, and always use the pedals.

As for disconnecting the throttle, I'm not sure it would make a difference to some enforcement officers. It would certainly demonstrate that you were trying to adhere to the law though.

I rode the Lamoille Valley Rail Trail up near St. Johnsbury a few years ago. It was pretty rough and there were a few bridges missing. I've read it's been improved a bit though, have you been up that way?
Thanks for that sticker. Deceitful, shmeitful. Law enforcement should focus on reckless riders, not the bike classification, which is a waste of time and manpower. I ride extra courteously, as you do.

I was going to ask my bike mechanic if he can remove the throttle seamlessly. I only had one emergency (I crashed into a bollard post on the Ashuwillticook trail in Mass two years ago) when a throttle might have been useful to transport my injured ass back to my car, but otherwise I'd as well not have one. I can unplug it myself easily, but the thumb mechanism looks tricky to remove (unless I take a hammer to it) and I'm a little concerned about unintended consequences of a missing throttle. Someone on another forum, with a different bike altogether, posted that the motor on his bike started cutting out at 7mph after he removed the throttle. Go figure, but I prefer to proceed with caution.

I'm a big fan of the Lamoille Rail Trail and intended to ride behind Governor Scott's entourage to commemorate the completed trail last July. The great flood of 2023 happened a few days before the scheduled ceremonial ride and that catastrophe did a number on the trail as well as the entire state. Most of the trail damage repair has been completed now thankfully, and I rode the St. Johnsbury to Danville section just before the winter. It was in fine shape and highly recommended. Prior to the flood I had bicycled most of the completed sections at various times and they are all a scenic pleasure to ride. I plan to ride a section on the 22nd and then do a "friend of the ferry" ride on Friday, the 23rd, to kick off the bike ferry season in Burlington-Colchester. If you have not the done the Burlington bike path circuit, put that atop your bucket list. I never tire of that ride and do it several times a year.

I'm not sure I want to travel two and a half hours either to ride that relatively short section of the Adirondack trail either at this point. I had it in my head that the distance between the lakes was twice that long, but I must have mis-read the "round trip" part. I do enjoy the recently completed "Canalway" ride between Ft. Edward and Ft. Ann, NY. 25 miles round trip, but it's only about an hour away from home.

It’s only about ten miles from LP to Saranac. I plan on going up and riding this in the next couple of weeks, but I have to borrow back the Giant Toughroad Class 1 I gave to my son this year - I don’t dare try it on the Creo, since everybody up that way knows what a Creo is and the closer you get to LP the more aggressive people are about ebikes in general and I assume Class 3s in particular.

Down here in the Capital/Saratoga County region there are all kinds of ebikes all over the place, including plenty of high end very nice ones, and I haven’t ever been challenged by anyone. The Saratoga County and Albany County Sheriffs offices both have teams of bike riding deputies out on the paths and they couldn’t be friendlier. They’re not there to harass people (I’m retired police myself and I very much approve of this mission style).

Regardless, I’ll post up a report on it after I get it done. Any excuse to go grab lunch at the Black Bear in Lake Placid!

I can unplug it myself easily, but the thumb mechanism looks tricky to remove (unless I take a hammer to it) and I'm a little concerned about unintended consequences of a missing throttle. Someone on another forum, with a different bike altogether, posted that the motor on his bike started cutting out at 7mph after he removed the throttle. Go figure, but I prefer to proceed with caution.
If the bike operates normally with the throttle unplugged, you should be able to remove it. The thumb throttle body on most bikes I've seen, is held in place with a small set screw that can be difficult to find. Remove the grip & brake lever assembly, and with the set screw loosened, the throttle should just side off the bar. Of course yours may be a proprietary setup in which case the above procedure may not work.
If you have not the done the Burlington bike path circuit, put that atop your bucket list. I never tire of that ride and do it several times a year.
A few years back, I rode the Island Line section of that trail from Burlington up to Airport Park. I wanted to go all the way out to South Hero but the causeway was closed due to storm damage. Great ride anyway though. Did they ever span that gap in the causeway with a bridge, or do you still have to take the shuttle boat?

If the bike operates normally with the throttle unplugged, you should be able to remove it. The thumb throttle body on most bikes I've seen, is held in place with a small set screw that can be difficult to find. Remove the grip & brake lever assembly, and with the set screw loosened, the throttle should just side off the bar. Of course yours may be a proprietary setup in which case the above procedure may not work.

A few years back, I rode the Island Line section of that trail from Burlington up to Airport Park. I wanted to go all the way out to South Hero but the causeway was closed due to storm damage. Great ride anyway though. Did they ever span that gap in the causeway with a bridge, or do you still have to take the shuttle boat?
I showed pictures of the throttle to my mechanic and he thinks removal will not be an issue. I am going to test it first with the throttle unplugged first as you suggest. Thanks!

The gap between the Colchester Causeway and South Hero Island is there for boat access, as far as I know. The Causeway proper is about 4.5 miles. The bike ferry is operated by Local Motion, a not-for-profit bike advocacy organization and rental shop. The ferry itself relies on optional donations from passengers. (I typically toss $10 into the til for round trip passage in addition to a few yearly donations). Local Motion's e-bike rental fleet now consists of late model Aventon bikes. South Hero is also a beautiful spot to ride, especially along Shore Road, adjacent to Lake Champlain. I make it a point to take a break at the Snow Farm Vineyard for a light snack and "flight" of wine. (Nothing like a light buzz to enhance the scenery).

bike ferry.jpg
outdoors3-1.jpg

Back