My Direct to Consumer experience

wmason

I recently completed a Specialized Direct to Consumer transaction. Here are the specifics. I contacted two Specialized dealers in pursuit of a 2022 S-Works Creo Size Small. Both said the same thing: the earliest they could imagine receiving the bike would be August, and maybe later depending on how many had already been ordered by other dealers. I noted to both that I had observed that I could order the bike at the time (May 6) because it was available to me online. The dealer I worked with was very frustrated that they could not order the bike. I ordered the bike online which was painless, designating that the bike be shipped to the dealer for assembly because I wanted them to change the tires and stem. The bike arrived four business days later. When I picked up the bike the dealer did not charge me at all for the time spent setting up the bike and changing the parts with the exception of the stem that they had in stock. I did not ask whether Specialized would be reimbursing them for the labor, but my hope is that they will. I will patronize this dealer with any and all bike business in the future.
tempImage6hqRUp.png

It’s always good to hear about a good experience. Good-looking bike too!

I also bought the S-Works Creo recently, though the 2021 version. I did pay for assembly though, as it was shipped by another dealer that had two in stock. Heck, the assembly shop also got a $1200 accessory sale, so I think they did ok. And, I got a great sale price on the bike, as 2022’s were about to be released, so I was certainly good with that.

that color is so gorgeous. it’s fantastic the way the black fade matches the motor cover.

i’m curious was a size S weighs in s-works trim. have you weighed it?

Yes, that is super pretty... I also like the blue to black fade that they do on the Vado SL...

that color is so gorgeous. it’s fantastic the way the black fade matches the motor cover.

i’m curious was a size S weighs in s-works trim. have you weighed it?
My scale reads 27.7 prior to adding the Varia tail light and computer. My wife inherited my 2021 Creo Expert SL which weighed in at 28.9 lbs. The BIG difference seems to be the wheels. And it feels like that when riding.

Beautiful bike! That's great that you got it the way you wanted and with no hassle. Now go put a ton of miles on it. :)

My scale reads 27.7 prior to adding the Varia tail light and computer. My wife inherited my 2021 Creo Expert SL which weighed in at 28.9 lbs. The BIG difference seems to be the wheels. And it feels like that when riding.
thanks! i agree, light wheels are the best upgrade there is. there are probably some additional weight savings in the cranks, bars, stem, saddle, cassette. not sure how heavy the SRAM groupset is.

I recently completed a Specialized Direct to Consumer transaction. Here are the specifics. I contacted two Specialized dealers in pursuit of a 2022 S-Works Creo Size Small. Both said the same thing: the earliest they could imagine receiving the bike would be August, and maybe later depending on how many had already been ordered by other dealers. I noted to both that I had observed that I could order the bike at the time (May 6) because it was available to me online. The dealer I worked with was very frustrated that they could not order the bike. I ordered the bike online which was painless, designating that the bike be shipped to the dealer for assembly because I wanted them to change the tires and stem. The bike arrived four business days later. When I picked up the bike the dealer did not charge me at all for the time spent setting up the bike and changing the parts with the exception of the stem that they had in stock. I did not ask whether Specialized would be reimbursing them for the labor, but my hope is that they will. I will patronize this dealer with any and all bike business in the future.

Nice. Good looking bike.

The various news releases when the DTC model was announced indicated that dealers get half the usual margin vs. bikes they've ordered (or have in stock). So there's some reimbursement for the setup labor, but not as much as if the dealer could've just ordered the bike you saw in stock on the website.

Neither of my preferred SBC dealers can/will order from SBC, nor are they on the pick-up-in-store option list.

Can't say I'm surprised. The model where the consumer orders the bike on the website (because the LBS can't), Spec ships to the dealer and the dealer profit is cut in half was bound to not be popular with the LBS. The argument that the dealer saves floor space/inventory doesn't hold in the case where the customer is sold on a particular model/color/size but can only order thru the website. It's hard to see what Spec does to deserve the extra profit for bikes ordered this way. Clearly when bikes are available only thru the website they intend to cut out the LBS from getting that extra 50%.

It'll be interesting to see how the Direct sales only goes. I would not buy without the ability to try first with a bike. It doesn't take many miles of riding to thumbs up or down. Last year we rode Como and disliked, but Vado was fine. Weren't serious ready to buy so didn't. This year when we were ready to buy, when Gazelle caught our eye, wanted C380, but could test very similar T10. LBS had my wife's size, but couldn't get mine. Ended up driving 180 miles to get mine. Direct sales would have saved me the trip, but not allowed test ride. Pros and cons!

What I truly see wrong with this direct to consumer model is BIKE FIT. Using the online size charts and guides does not replicate in any way actually sitting on the bike and pedaling around the block and up the nearest steep hill. Specialized charts suggested a SMALL Creo for me. Not when test riding - MEDIUM was the size for comfort and fit. Also I knew from testing on some steeper hills that the motor was not as powerful as what I was replacing but that it would probably eke out enough power for our hills and my needs with a bit more work on my part. How do you determine that from a website? Yes, I know I'm spitting into the headwind but .....

What I truly see wrong with this direct to consumer model is BIKE FIT. Using the online size charts and guides does not replicate in any way actually sitting on the bike and pedaling around the block and up the nearest steep hill. Specialized charts suggested a SMALL Creo for me. Not when test riding - MEDIUM was the size for comfort and fit. Also I knew from testing on some steeper hills that the motor was not as powerful as what I was replacing but that it would probably eke out enough power for our hills and my needs with a bit more work on my part. How do you determine that from a website? Yes, I know I'm spitting into the headwind but .....
Agree - I've typically ridden medium bikes but on the SL I needed a large for proper riding position. LBS really helped me decide and was very knowledgeable on bike fit. Specialized may have changed - but my business model is going to my LBS and riding before I buy. :)

Back