My bike's battery exploded

It seems that a fire blanket like the FAA approved is a reliable and seemingly far less intrusive.

I took my own advice and searched FAA guidelines.

AC 20-42D, chapter 4, subparagraph 1f

23C5FF75-8888-4CE5-B679-DCFDDC8D8545.png

I was driving down a highway in northern California, with the bike on a rack behind my van. I heard a loud pop, hiss, and plume of white smoke. Pulled over right away, and the driver behind me says my van is on fire. I grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran outside to see the lower battery was spewing flames. It melted its way off the bike (luckily it was the lower battery...) and I was able to extinguish it and push it away before any other batteries caught fire (there was another bike on the rack too) or I lost my camper van.

I'm not sure why it happened. It was not a hot day, the bikes were covered with a tarp to keep them dry and the road was not rough.

Keep a fire extinguisher close at hand...you might just need it. Could have been so much worse for me. I can't imagine the battery going off indoors.
I'm happy to hear no one was hurt and there wasn't more damage! It could have been far worse!

I may be overly paranoid about transporting e-bike batteries. I never do so with them installed on the bike. I also carry the batteries in a padded protective case when inside the vehicle.

P1070604a.jpg P1070605a.jpg P1070664a.jpg P1070667a.jpg P1070670a.jpg

Overkill? Maybe, but it does give me some peace of mind.

I'm happy to hear no one was hurt and there wasn't more damage! It could have been far worse!

I may be overly paranoid about transporting e-bike batteries. I never do so with them installed on the bike. I also carry the batteries in a padded protective case when inside the vehicle.

View attachment 123587 View attachment 123588 View attachment 123589 View attachment 123590 View attachment 123591

Overkill? Maybe, but it does give me some peace of mind.
Under kill if there’s an overheating event. I’m definitely an over kill guy.

Back