My Archon Range

Ayl

Here are my starting values with a 52v 17.5ah Battery:

1597062397179.png
1597062459015.png

Here are my ending values:
1597062605087.png
1597062541197.png

I need to point out that the BMS didn't stop supplying juice to the motor. It was supplying a very small amount. At 51 miles into the trip I had to look down and see if there was any pedal assist. The engine was involved, but very little assistance was provided. Using the throttle or increasing the PAS level didn't increase the pedal assist, so I decided to call an end to this experiment at 51.6 miles.

I'd do the math, but guys I'm knackered. I'll wrap up this post by saying I no longer have range anxiety, and in its place is severe butt soreness. It was around 20 miles to White Rock Lake in Dallas, and each lap around the lake was about 9 miles, and the temperature yesterday was 99 degrees. I ended up doing 3 laps around the lake in my attempt to drain the battery. The Archon Controller decreases the amount of draw from the battery as the battery level drops. I find this a good thing to keep you from being completely dead in the water. I think there's a couple of other things I noticed, but I'll try and add them later after resting up a bit more.

Oh, here's my current odometer mileage after making it home yesterday. After calling an end to the science experiment I swapped out the batteries and headed home, and not pictured is the total mileage for Sunday which came out to 74.1 miles.
1597063570212.png

I forgot to add this earlier.
Here's the elevation going from my house to White Rock Lake.
1597065956248.png

Here's the elevation around the lake:
1597065970546.png

Last edited:
Incredible @Ayl you are getting some damn impressive range.

Just extrapolating - 80% gets you 50 miles, so on the 880Wh pack you should expect around 60 miles on full charge cycle (draining all the way to 0).

That is also my number at the moment. phenomenal.

Incredible @Ayl you are getting some damn impressive range.
Just extrapolating - 80% gets you 50 miles, so on the 880Wh pack you should expect around 60 miles on full charge cycle (draining all the way to 0).
That is also my number at the moment. phenomenal.

@pennybags, I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this Magick from the Archon Controller. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Which PAS level: ECO 1 or ECO 5? Your screen shots show both.
My screen shot is showing ECO 5 due to me testing if a higher PAS would increase the pedal assist, which it didn't. I then tried the throttle, and same result. I then decided to end the experiment and took pictures.

So in theory the smaller wattage controller should produce even longer range with less draw ?
I agree, in theory going with a smaller wattage controller should produce an even longer range. :)

Impressive! Can’t wait for my UC Pro.
You're going to have a blast! :D

@Ayl , how hard do you have to work on Eco 1? Most Bosch, Yamaha, or Shimano motors on eco1 is decent but not a lot of power. 50 miles on lowest setting for those motors would have the average rider pretty pooped at the end of the ride.

Reactions: Ayl
As I go up hills and marvel at the smoothness of the new controller I have been watching the animated watt meter on the display. Eco 1 (2300W version) seems to peak at around 400-500W so I would say it's a tad less than peak on a 250W nominal motor (which tend to put out 500W peak).

[I]@Ayl , how hard do you have to work on Eco 1? Most Bosch, Yamaha, or Shimano motors on eco1 is decent but not a lot of power. 50 miles on lowest setting for those motors would have the average rider pretty pooped at the end of the ride.[/I]
On Eco PAS 1 I don't have to work hard at all. However, I was pretty knackered when I ended the experiment and tempted to call a Lyft to get back home, but this is due to being out in the 99 degree heat for over 4 hours. To give a little more detail, which I should have provided for @onlineaddy, riding up to the lake I toggled between PAS 1 and 2. I'd use PAS 2 to address hills. Reaching the lake I was comfortable at PAS 1 since it's pretty flat, and I had deal with other cyclists and people walking/jogging on different parts around the lake.

Last edited:
Another observation, maybe you guys are noticing the same. I am riding my bike more like a pedal bike and slower than before (on average). Yesterday I found myself relaxed in a low gear at higher cadence. Why? Because it's just feels more natural to pedal now. No annoying over and underrun. It's more about the riding experience, the joy of riding, as opposed to a means to an end.

Hahhahaha, I would say the same, my butt wears out before the battery.
We're in the same boat @TomD. Before the Archon upgrade, and using the stock controller, even running on only 750W, my range was limited to around 25 miles. The bulk of places I wanted to get to were over 15 miles away, so I typically charged at the location or knew of a park nearby with an outlet. With the Archon controller, I'm not worrying about charging, just what I can do to keep my buttkis from complaining about the mileage.

Another observation, maybe you guys are noticing the same. I am riding my bike more like a pedal bike and slower than before (on average). Yesterday I found myself relaxed in a low gear at higher cadence. Why? Because it's just feels more natural to pedal now. No annoying over and underrun. It's more about the riding experience, the joy of riding, as opposed to a means to an end.
I have to concur. 👍

I currently use my Haibike for exercise and have been riding 30-50 miles a day. I'd say I don't use the motor 75% of the time with the 25% being on inclines and strong headwinds, but only at eco mode. How would you guys characterise the bikes capacity to be used as an exercise bike? Is riding without the motor just not realistic? If not, is riding on eco 1 give you decent level of exercise? If no to all, then would it be fair to say that bulk of the use with the new motor is for commuting and touring?

PAS 1 should be fine for more exercise when dialed back to 750W or 1000W nominal. It blends in perfectly on flats and only when needed with just enough power. Looking forward to testing when I get the programming software but honestly, I'm loving PAS 1 on the 2300W, it's nice feeling like superman.

@byunbee wouldn't the ability to ride with the motor off depend on the weight and gearing of the bike? So, the likelihood of being able to do that will differ from bike to bike, independent of the motor/controller.

I want to say with the anticipated weight of the upcoming UC Pro, riding with the motor off will not be easy, unless you're a strong rider.

I can pedal my CC just fine on flats without the motor FWIW. It's about the same weight with the same tires as the superbike. Realistically though just dial back PAS 1 with the programming if it's too much. I have faith the controller will be up to the task given the sampling frequency.

Back