Multi-day trip w/ range extenders only (flying)

Angelo_arch

Region
USA
City
Denver
Two Creos, four range extenders (since we are flying, we can't take the main batteries). Five-day bike trip. The Y cable doesn't appear to charge two range extenders at once. Do I really need to take FOUR charging cables for overnight charging?! Any tips or hacks? I know it only takes about 3 hours to charge each, but, I would need to get up and switch the chargers each night. I guess we can get by with one each, but what a hassle. The bricks on the charging cables are heavy, so that will add up too. Thanks for any suggestions.

Two Creos, four range extenders (since we are flying, we can't take the main batteries). Five-day bike trip. The Y cable doesn't appear to charge two range extenders at once. Do I really need to take FOUR charging cables for overnight charging?! Any tips or hacks? I know it only takes about 3 hours to charge each, but, I would need to get up and switch the chargers each night. I guess we can get by with one each, but what a hassle. The bricks on the charging cables are heavy, so that will add up too. Thanks for any suggestions.
No solution but thanks for pointing out a real drawback of the Specialized system. I had not considered that aspect of flying with the Creo (or their other non-removable battery models). Although, I guess even external batteries might be limited for flying due to power ratings.

I wonder if some electrical engineer could come up with some circuit scheme to fool the system.

I own three Range Extenders so I can understand your pain very well.
No chance. Four chargers or you won't be able to make your goal.
Funny Specialized didn't think of such a scenario.

I am planning a vacation where we will be flying with a Creo and looking into the same setup (two range extenders), and trying to determine if we should pick up a Y-cable. I found this post of a response from Specialized that states:

"In order for the y-cables to work, they do need to be plugged into two batteries. Either 2 range extender batteries, or one internal and one range extender, but not two internal batteries."

So that seems to suggest that the y-cable will charge two range extenders. Does anyone know if this is in fact true?

Plugging the Y-cable into two Range Extenders will not work (I have just re-tested that).

Thanks for verifying… Guess the Specialized guy didn’t know what he was talking about.

So what does it do when two range extenders are attached? Nothing? Or does it juice up one and ignore the other?

Thanks for verifying… Guess the Specialized guy didn’t know what he was talking about.

So what does it do when two range extenders are attached? Nothing? Or does it juice up one and ignore the other?
Simply nothing happens.
When you disconnect the Y-Cable each of Range Extenders will get charged, one at a time. Taking 6 hours 40 minutes for both in the worst case.

Just to clarify you need to connect the charger cable directly to the RE battery and remove the Y-Cable when charging just a RE battery. I also confirm nothing happens when you attach two RE batteries to a Y-Cable. The charger light just turns green.
Quote below from https://support.specialized.com/turbocreosl/en/setup/charging

All Turbo SL bikes must be charged only with the supplied 48 V custom charger. There is also an optional Y-splitter charge cable that enables simultaneous charging of the internal battery and the range extender. It can charge one internal battery and one range extender at the same time--any other application is not recommended.
Charge Times For Full Charge
Charging Setup
3% - >100%
Stops charging
(charger LED turns green & bike turns off)
Internal Battery only
2h 35 min
2h 55 min
Range Extender only
3h 20 min*
3h 25 min
Both Internal Battery + Range extender simultaneously using a
Y-splitter
3h 20 min
3h 35min

*NOTE: Due to a lower charging current, charging the Range Extender alone takes longer than charging the internal battery and as long as charging both Internal Battery + Ranger Extender through Y-cable. The reason for slower charge times is to maintain battery health, as higher currents would stress the cells and decrease health much quicker).

I am planning a vacation where we will be flying with a Creo and looking into the same setup (two range extenders), and trying to determine if we should pick up a Y-cable. I found this post of a response from Specialized that states:

"In order for the y-cables to work, they do need to be plugged into two batteries. Either 2 range extender batteries, or one internal and one range extender, but not two internal batteries."

So that seems to suggest that the y-cable will charge two range extenders. Does anyone know if this is in fact true?
When you say "flying with a Creo" do you mean that you are removing the main battery and just taking range extenders in your carry-on or something? I'm surprised the bike would work without the main battery.

I'm in a similar but different situation. I'm driving but will not be able to charge the bike overnight. Based on my past experience I should be able to get away with just running off an extender (only have one) and charging that in my room each night. If I conserve enough, I could even draw down some of the main battery on the last couple of days if necessary. I had thought about an additional extender but this thread has convinced me that it wouldn't be worth it due to the dual-charging hassle.

I had thought about an additional extender but this thread has convinced me that it wouldn't be worth it due to the dual-charging hassle.
I actually own 4 range extenders for my Vado SL. My needs are very special. I often ride together with my gravel cycling club. Boys & girls there are strong and far younger than I am. 80/80% assistance is the minimum I need to use to keep up with the group, and 100% Turbo is often necessary.

I conserve the battery charge on commutes in and out the main ride, often riding to the train station unpowered. Then I need to reach the starting line in the city with possibly low battery use. After the main ride (where I am really paying the Gravel Tax), I need to return home. Four Range Extenders plus the main battery is what I really need even if recharging all the batteries takes almost a day.

1675813466658.png

A 147.7 km ride on a single day. I could not do it without at least 3 Range Extenders if I wanted to use each of them to the full extent.

When you say "flying with a Creo" do you mean that you are removing the main battery and just taking range extenders in your carry-on or something? I'm surprised the bike would work without the main battery.
Yes, exactly. I bought two range extenders and will remove the internal battery so the bike can travel on the airplane. The range extenders are 160 Wh, which is the maximum allowable in a carry-on.

I actually own 4 range extenders for my Vado SL. My needs are very special. I often ride together with my gravel cycling club. Boys & girls there are strong and far younger than I am. 80/80% assistance is the minimum I need to use to keep up with the group, and 100% Turbo is often necessary.

A 147.7 km ride on a single day. I could not do it without at least 3 Range Extenders if I wanted to use each of them to the full extent.
How do you carry four range extenders on the bike? Plus water?

How do you carry four range extenders on the bike? Plus water?
I use a Specialized Tailwind pannier. Its inner pocket snugly fits three REs (I wrap the middle one in bubble foil so the RE's do not shake there). I can put tools, inner tube, some water bottle inside the main part of the pannier. However, to distribute the weight better, I rather carry extra water bottles and a snack in a small backpack. Of course, the fourth RE is on the bike.

1675845408748.png

1675845603780.png

1675845685988.png

My setup might not necessarily serve other riders, especially Creo owners. I was suggested the AeroPack rear rack from Tailfin.cc could be a more appropriate solution for a gravel bike. It doesn't, however, fit Vado SL EQ (that already has an integrated rack and tail-light).

1675846134484.png

Back