Moustache Xroad 2 2020 low step 625Wh

Bought a Bob Yak 28 plus trailer to tow behind Xroad. Not straight forward fit but it works. Mounting bolt for bottom right of rack sticks out by 2-3mms to much to for trailer hitch. Swapped for smaller head bolt (M5 Panhead) and thinner washer. The rack also interfers when attaching trailer, have wife tilt bike over at 45degree on kickstand while I attach unladen trailer. On plus side nobody is going to steal it in hurry. Can't use my 22L Vaude panniers as they rub against yoke, the 15l panniers work fine and all I should need for tour. Only use them for items I need during day eg lunch, jackets etc. The 95L trailer bag is massive, for my initial test run around block loaded with 2 man tent, 2x thermarest + sleepbags, pile clothes, charger and couple spare batteries. This would be typical camping touring load for two.

Handling
Little warbly at low speed especially when heavily ladden not too bad with moderate load. This may go away once I've clocked up few 100kms. Once upto speed +10kmh I soon forget trailer is there. Excellent tracking and can take some quite tight turns.
Parking can be issue as it is long rig. Need to keep front brake applied (rubber band) when parked with heavily load as it pivots around kick stand.
There are definitely pros and cons with trailer but big pro for me is my wife can tour with lightly laden bike. She isn't into camping so likely to be only moderate load with her as we will stay in motels. Camping is for solo trips or with my son who can ride unladen muggles bike, this also gives me 2 spare 625wh batteries.
One plus over panniers is only one big bag to carry into motel not 4-6 panniers.

Bought a rescued XRoad 3 for my wife. Was a bit of work getting the scum-buggery sorted (thieves had drilled out battery lock, buggered the male battery terminals, lost the battery cover, smashed the rear light, dragged the bike and bent a few things). Fortunately these bikes are built like the proverbial and it's stood up well to the abuse (double walled aluminium chassis and mudguards) . All in all it's a great bike now and she loves it.
I really like the Bosch Activeline motor (have the CX Gen4 motor on my emtb), in that you can easily back-pedal to lube the chain. The only negatives for me are the cup/cone wheel bearings (these never last long on an ebike, so a full wheel replacement will happen at some point), 11-32T factory cassette (32T not low enough for hill work) and the 2-pot brakes.
IMG_E2124.JPG

Bought a rescued XRoad 3 for my wife. Was a bit of work getting the scum-buggery sorted (thieves had drilled out battery lock, buggered the male battery terminals, lost the battery cover, smashed the rear light, dragged the bike and bent a few things). Fortunately these bikes are built like the proverbial and it's stood up well to the abuse (double walled aluminium chassis and mudguards) . All in all it's a great bike now and she loves it.
I really like the Bosch Activeline motor (have the CX Gen4 motor on my emtb), in that you can easily back-pedal to lube the chain. The only negatives for me are the cup/cone wheel bearings (these never last long on an ebike, so a full wheel replacement will happen at some point), 11-32T factory cassette (32T not low enough for hill work) and the 2-pot brakes.
View attachment 169082
Xroad 3 should have 10spd 11-42t cassette.
Cone bearings still good our 2 bikes after 11000kms. I made a point of servicing them early on as quite often dry and not setup correctly exfactory.

Xroad 3 should have 10spd 11-42t cassette.
Cone bearings still good our 2 bikes after 11000kms. I made a point of servicing them early on as quite often dry and not setup correctly exfactory.
Cassette must have been replaced at some stage.. Cones and bearings are done in my Giant commuter after about 5000km (using good bearing grease, keeping a slight amount of free play and very little wet riding). The XRoad hasn't done much work but three cones have spalling.

Cassette must have been replaced at some stage.. Cones and bearings are done in my Giant commuter after about 5000km (using good bearing grease, keeping a slight amount of free play and very little wet riding). The XRoad hasn't done much work but three cones have spalling.
Definitely fine line between to tight and to loose with cone bearings, all takes me a few attempts at tightening nuts to get tension just right. Given both axles are 9mm QR not sure how you plan to upgrade hubs.

DT Swiss hubs are very configurable, with a just a change of end-cap, or you can buy adapters from 10/12mm to 5mm if you have an old set of 135/110 hubs that can't easily be configured for 5mm QR

Back