Mounting two trailer hitches to a bike?

late

Region
Europe
Hi,

I drive a Multicharger and use a Thule child trailer for taking my son to daycare and the hitch for the trailer is attached to my bikes thru axle.

I would also like to use a cargo trailer (eg. Burley Nomad) for transporting groceries and other cargo. Unfortunately Burley uses a different hitch from Thule. I’m wondering if there is any way to attach two different hitches to a bike?

Best Regards,
Lauri

If it were me I’d guess converting one of the trailer‘s hitch makes more sense vs putting two on the bike.

I could be wrong, but I think Lauri is asking about using two different trailers with different hitches on the same bike but not at the same time. It would be dangerous for all concerned to "pull a train" of two trailers behind one bike.

I think that the best more stable, safest solution for @late will be to sell the Thule trailer and buy a Burley Bee child trailer I think they use the same hitch attachment on the bike as the Nomad or should be easily convertible if they don't.

Thanks for your toughts!

@Alaskan is right on point. I would only use one trailer at a time. I actually changed from a Hamax child trailer very recently to a Thule and changing to a Burly would not be my first option at the moment. I’m very satisfied with Thule, but would really like to able to transport cargo when needed.

Best option would be if it would be possible to either attach a second hitch to my bike or convert the Burley trailer arm to fit to the Thule “EzHitch”.

Thanks for your toughts!

@Alaskan is right on point. I would only use one trailer at a time. I actually changed from a Hamax child trailer very recently to a Thule and changing to a Burly would not be my first option at the moment. I’m very satisfied with Thule, but would really like to able to transport cargo when needed.

Best option would be if it would be possible to either attach a second hitch to my bike or convert the Burley trailer arm to fit to the Thule “EzHitch”.
This was my thought or convert the Thule to fit the Burley hitch.

This was my thought or convert the Thule to fit the Burley hitch.
That was a very good idea, I didn’t even think of that being possible.

I wonder if anyone has experience in exchanging the Burley Flex Connector and safety strap to Thules corresponding parts? It seems doable based on pictures online, but I’m guessing they are not compatible without modifications.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but how did you connect the Thule child carrier to the Multicharger?

Hi,

I drive a Multicharger and use a Thule child trailer for taking my son to daycare and the hitch for the trailer is attached to my bikes thru axle.

I would also like to use a cargo trailer (eg. Burley Nomad) for transporting groceries and other cargo. Unfortunately Burley uses a different hitch from Thule. I’m wondering if there is any way to attach two different hitches to a bike?

Best Regards,
restaurant carnival cormontreuil
I've been struggling to figure out how to carry my mountain bike while also trailering. I came across this and it seems like the answer to my prayers. I can tow with the Tahoe and also have a hitch mount rack. I've been told not to mount bike(s) on the trailer bumper. I don't want to roof mount at the Tahoe is already ~78 tall. And I would like to be able to get in the rear so that eliminates a hatch mount rack. However the two dual hitch adapters I can find that are rated at 10k say not for use while towing a trailer... What are you doing with a 10k hitch if you're not towing a trailer? Any reason why this would be a no go?

I've been struggling to figure out how to carry my mountain bike while also trailering. I came across this and it seems like the answer to my prayers. I can tow with the Tahoe and also have a hitch mount rack. I've been told not to mount bike(s) on the trailer bumper. I don't want to roof mount at the Tahoe is already ~78 tall. And I would like to be able to get in the rear so that eliminates a hatch mount rack. However the two dual hitch adapters I can find that are rated at 10k say not for use while towing a trailer... What are you doing with a 10k hitch if you're not towing a trailer? Any reason why this would be a no go?

The subject of this old post was towing trailers with an e-bike, not a vehicle. Towing while carrying a bike has been discussed here before. You might get a better response if you create a separate thread.

Those dual hitch adapters extend the hitch ball farther to the rear and amplify the tongue weight. That may be the reason towing isn't recommended.

One possible solution to your problem would be to use a bike rack in a front mount hitch on your Tahoe:

I've seen many setups like this and they seem to work quite well.

In any case, welcome to the forum and good luck finding a solution to your problem!

Back