Motobecane HAL eBoost Pro

sendler2112

Region
USA
Motobecane HAL eBoost PRO 2021.jpg

New bike flies. This is now the fastest bike I own, up hill and down. Despite the extra weight. And by far the most comfortable and plush. Motobecane HAL eBoost PRO 2021. Shimano E8000 mid-drive motor. 500 Wh external battery. E7000 compact display, Solid pedaling and plush HAL four bar suspension. Pike Select Plus fork. Full XT drivetrain and brakes. 30mm internal DT Swiss 1900 boost wheels. 27.5 x 2.8 Maxis Rekon Plus tires. 100mm internal dropper. $3999 if you can get in on the next group buy at BikesDirect.
I set new Personal Records on just about every segment I rode past, first try. Up hill and down. Compared to my Specialized Levo hard tail. Specialized Camber. And HAL Boost Eagle. Suspension works great. Tires work great. The dirt was perfect yesterday. The motor is very quiet and very responsive like the EP8 RS version that I rode on my friend's Orbea Rise. If a little too over anxious on boost. I didn't use boost much and will end up turning that down. The settings of trail mode are near perfect as they come from the factory, if a little too strong when the battery is hot off of the charger. Fortunately, since the etube programming app for the E8000 motor lacks the pedal torque sensitivity adjust that Shimano unlocked for the newer EP8 motor. The E8000 is very quick to stop and start following the perfect control of the pedals. It's you, only better. It is more responsive and natural than my early version Specialized Levo. I haven't changed the programming yet. I did 15 miles at near KOM race pace and the remaining range, which I have read is uncannily accurate for the Shimano systems, showed 37 miles. The motor is very efficient in trail mode. The E7000 wired display is nice to have and the mode selector switch on the left is a mechanical match to a normal XT front derailleur shifter so it is very tactile and easy to use. The HALe suspension and Pike fork actually hops obstacles better than any of my other bikes. I didn't bang the bottom bracket on anything. No pedal strikes. The Pike fork is amazing on an ebike where climbing is seated and steadier. It just steers and track bumps perfectly at nearly wide open damping settings and you don't miss not having lock out. I haven't weighed it yet but the HALe is a very fast cross country trail ebike. So far, not a fan of the new XT 12 speed shifter on the right though even if the XT Shadow rear derailleur is slightly better than Sram GX on my other bike (HAL Boost Eagle). The shifter lacks feel when upshifting to the bigger gears. The initial click is very sharp and then it is too easy to click through the second click rather than just holding the lever travel up against it to over index a bit to allow the chain to climb up onto the next bigger cog. I like the Deore shifter on my Specialized Camber better. But it seems to be getting smoother as it breaks in. The dropper cable and housing require trimming off 6.5 inches for me even with the post all of the way up to the insertion line, so is a bit tricky to measure and set up since it has to be perfect. There can be no extra cable sticking out from the knock or the post won't stay up. But I got it done. Most people will want to let a bike shop set this up for them. I will take another 3 pounds off the bike with my Carbon 29 wheels and tubeless DHR2/ DHF set up and see how that goes next but the 27.5 Rekons that come originally are very smooth and grippy. I see a spare battery in a back pack and a 100 mile challenge coming up.
In case anyone thinks I am being lazy, my heart rate is actually higher on either ebike than it is when I'm on an analog bike since there is more weight to wrestle around and I am going faster with heart rates averaging 90% and peaks to 103%. But my best times are still just under the KOM's posted by the racers on their best day. So this shows that Class 1 EMTB's do not have a throttle and don't "roost" up the trails any more than the elite racers and only apply motor power in proportion to how hard you press on the pedals. I am 60 and this bike allows me to ride hilly cross country type trails at target heart rate and match the pace in any group, from casual to elite by turning the assist up or down.
Strava 05 14 2021.jpg

Stunning-- yeah, that's the bike I would have bought if I had another 2 grand (worth every dime, IMHO) and if I'd known I'd like the Moto HAL thing so much.

I found the range estimate to be nearly useless on the ULTRA, but that may be an artifact of the anemic weirdness of the E5000. My range is 40 miles with 4,000 feet of vertical, but you have a much larger battery and more efficient motor. Maybe you could do 50 miles or more with 5,000 vertical, would be awesome.

Very curious as to the weight, even with bathroom scale inaccuracy. My guess would be 50-51 pounds for a 48cm, more like 48-49 for a 46cm.

I'm sure you can drop three pounds-- I did, though it was easier for me because my tires were heavier all-rounders. New wheels may be in my future someday, so please post back and let us know what you did.

You may not like off-brand CF saddles, but this is what I got, and it dropped weight by 3/4 of a pound for me, would probably be 1/2 a pound for you. (The WTB "comfort" saddle on the ULTRA eAdventure is unreasonably heavy, nearly 400 grams.) So far, I find this very comfortable, though I don't ride as aggressively as you:

48 pounds stock with 2.8" Rekons tubeless. Will be under 46 pounds with the Carbon 29er wheels and 2.3's
Motobecane HALe wieght tubeless.jpg

48 pounds stock with 2.8" Rekons tubeless. Will be under 46 pounds with the Carbon 29er wheels and 2.3's
View attachment 88753

Great! One thing I like about this breed of bike is that they seem pretty light for such sturdy bikes.

Just curious, is that for a 46 cm frame, or a 48, or some other size? At 6"1', with long arms and legs, I find that the 48 fits me like a glove.

I started at 49 pounds and change, and with the tubeless 2.3 Maxxis Ikons and CF saddle I'm at 46 and change. I don't feel any traction penalty compared to the stock WTB Riddlers. Ikons are much noisier on pavement, (I totally don't care) considerably less rolling resistance, 1-2 MPH faster downhill. The main difference I notice with the 2.3s is what you'd expect: More skittish on cracks, ridges, or roots that are parallel to the wheels.

But so what? I'm a noob to MTB and EMTB, I don't know crap about frame geometry, but it just seems so well balanced. I never feel like I'm going to dump it. It's very forgiving, which I really appreciate, because I still don't really know what I'm doing. When I've had to do panic stops and accidentally locked up the brakes-- to avoid cars on canyon roads-- it does exactly what I'd expect.

I'm a few years older than you (64 in October) and given my medical history and lower torque rating, I like my Moto Ultra a lot more at 46 pounds with the Ikons than I did at 49 with the Riddlers. Makes a huge difference. I used to always have to lock out on long climbs on pavement. Now, if I forget, sometimes I don't realize it until I'm near the top of the hill.

Back