Motobecane EF3 Shimano steps folder

vincent

Just ordered this folder last night

I am intrigued by the weight and 3 inch tires on it, hoping it will do double duty for short friends to ride it off road and be about 40lbs when I pull the battery off which will make it manageable as a folder thacan go in a bag...

will write up a detailed review once it gets here and I get a few miles on it
Not any reviews I could find on it and not a lot of information or pics on the website

Congrats on your new E-Bike.

Based on the mid-drive specifications and low price I have recommended this folder to a few EBR members.

Looking forward to reading your review and hearing your first impressions of the build quality. Long may you ride... ;)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...icycles/ebikes-electric-folding-bikes-ef3.htm

1592525641843.png

You are the one who linked to it before, you’re the reason I saw it
Thank you!

I hope to be able to do a pretty detailed review since there’s just not much info on it, I’ll try to get some measurements etc., I may have a custom bag made to fit it if I can’t find one

It is an intriguing bike, just wish it had an IGH and belt and I’m wondering if I can put that on in the future
According to Shimano this motor will work with a manual and an electronicAccording to Shimano this motor will work with a manual and auto igh

If I like the bike enough and it actually weighs out like Bikes Direct says it does -under 45 pounds which I’m guessing is including the battery

then I might be willing to invest that money in it

excited to get it, hoping it’s here by middle to end of next week but no shipping stuff yet

Flatsix do you have some friends that have bought this? If so wondering how they like it

I have purchased other bikes (not this model) from BD and have been impressed with their quality and value.

Last edited:
waiting on a new scale from amazon to get an accurate weight, sure that my luggage scale is off by a good bit

anyway have some other specs and observations on the bike so far

this is just off getting unboxed and doing a little riding around my house on the dirt/sand
and in the parking lot of the shop today

boxing was pretty good, shipping was fed ex
couple of spots where the box had a gash and the bike had 1 scratch on it...
planning to write bikesdirect and send them pictures showing where they could add another piece of cardboard to help this
i have some red touch up paint so not a big deal

measurements

unfolded
length 62 inches

folded
length 34-35 inches
height with the seat down is 26- if you go by the back of the rack 27
width is about 19 inches

it does not come with folding pedals, i got some folding ones for mine

overall i think the bike is nice looking in person, feel like it is well built
i "put it together" and the shop today had very little to tighten up on it

folds easy and has a brace under the motor so stands up folded just fine, very stable
i am planning to have a custom bag built for this but if not using something like that a velcro strap or something would be good for lifting it when folded
forgot to try and roll it folded, sorry- will do this next time it is out

lifting it folded to put in the van it seems maybe 41-42lbs without the battery and not bad to lift but i hope to get some solid numbers on this, the shop i used today to check it over and put sealant in the tires did not have a scale

pedals run into the kickstand which i hate but it is mounted in the center hole and i may try a couple of double leg kickstands to see if something works

motor is really smooth and quiet
tried it against the haibike radius tour today and the yamaha is louder but has more power, to be expected by the torque numbers
but the shimano seems peppy

to give it some better testing i intend to ride it some in flagstaff next week, hills etc and see how it does
will post feedback on that next week

on the dirt and sand these slicker tires did much better than i expected
next week i will make a decision on whether to put the specialized big roller 2.8 on here or not
do not think it will take the 3.3 radrunner tire
the big roller would be for more traction off road and possibly less weight...??? not having a lot of luck getting weights on the innova tire on it
going to talk to the shop in flagstaff about that

tires say inflate to 40, i had them at 35psi on the dirt and felt like these 3 inch tires make a pretty big difference in "folding bike" ride
a lot better than another 2 inch tire folder i just sold with a cheap front suspension fork

comparing it to the radius tour with big ben tires today maybe not quite as smooth on pavement - but the tour has a bodyfloat and i dont have shims to use one of my bodyfloats that on the shimano yet
again next week better comparisons

shimano display shows remaining range on eco, medium and high
do not know how accurate this is
but think it was about eco-94 miles medium- 60 something high- 49
if accurate very good for a 418wh battery

shifting is ok but i have been riding the wattwagon with rohloff so forgetting i cannot downshift when i stop, blah
makes me love the radius tour with its igh and the ww

i am under the impression this E5000 motor can take auto shifting, igh etc so after next week if i am feeling good about it will start researching whether it could have a 6 speed igh and belt put on it, for me that would be the ultimate folder...
probably wishful thinking but if it can be done i will scream it from the rooftops lol

that is all i can think of right now

will add more with more miles put on it

Vincent, a great review and congratulations on the new ride... thanks for posting. ;)

I have found the Shimano range calculation to be pretty accurate for all 3 drive modes.

Keep us posted on your upgrades and post a few photos here on EBR if you have a chance.

waiting on a new scale from amazon to get an accurate weight, sure that my luggage scale is off by a good bit

anyway have some other specs and observations on the bike so far

this is just off getting unboxed and doing a little riding around my house on the dirt/sand
and in the parking lot of the shop today

boxing was pretty good, shipping was fed ex
couple of spots where the box had a gash and the bike had 1 scratch on it...
planning to write bikesdirect and send them pictures showing where they could add another piece of cardboard to help this
i have some red touch up paint so not a big deal

measurements

unfolded
length 62 inches

folded
length 34-35 inches
height with the seat down is 26- if you go by the back of the rack 27
width is about 19 inches

it does not come with folding pedals, i got some folding ones for mine

overall i think the bike is nice looking in person, feel like it is well built
i "put it together" and the shop today had very little to tighten up on it

folds easy and has a brace under the motor so stands up folded just fine, very stable
i am planning to have a custom bag built for this but if not using something like that a velcro strap or something would be good for lifting it when folded
forgot to try and roll it folded, sorry- will do this next time it is out

lifting it folded to put in the van it seems maybe 41-42lbs without the battery and not bad to lift but i hope to get some solid numbers on this, the shop i used today to check it over and put sealant in the tires did not have a scale

pedals run into the kickstand which i hate but it is mounted in the center hole and i may try a couple of double leg kickstands to see if something works

motor is really smooth and quiet
tried it against the haibike radius tour today and the yamaha is louder but has more power, to be expected by the torque numbers
but the shimano seems peppy

to give it some better testing i intend to ride it some in flagstaff next week, hills etc and see how it does
will post feedback on that next week

on the dirt and sand these slicker tires did much better than i expected
next week i will make a decision on whether to put the specialized big roller 2.8 on here or not
do not think it will take the 3.3 radrunner tire
the big roller would be for more traction off road and possibly less weight...??? not having a lot of luck getting weights on the innova tire on it
going to talk to the shop in flagstaff about that

tires say inflate to 40, i had them at 35psi on the dirt and felt like these 3 inch tires make a pretty big difference in "folding bike" ride
a lot better than another 2 inch tire folder i just sold with a cheap front suspension fork

comparing it to the radius tour with big ben tires today maybe not quite as smooth on pavement - but the tour has a bodyfloat and i dont have shims to use one of my bodyfloats that on the shimano yet
again next week better comparisons

shimano display shows remaining range on eco, medium and high
do not know how accurate this is
but think it was about eco-94 miles medium- 60 something high- 49
if accurate very good for a 418wh battery

shifting is ok but i have been riding the wattwagon with rohloff so forgetting i cannot downshift when i stop, blah
makes me love the radius tour with its igh and the ww

i am under the impression this E5000 motor can take auto shifting, igh etc so after next week if i am feeling good about it will start researching whether it could have a 6 speed igh and belt put on it, for me that would be the ultimate folder...
probably wishful thinking but if it can be done i will scream it from the rooftops lol

that is all i can think of right now

will add more with more miles put on it
Congrats on the new bike purchase
I would be surprised if you are not happy with a Shimano drive
In my experience, the Shimano range calculations are accurate and consistent
Enjoy your new toy

Vincent:
Thanks so much for the review. Please continue to update us. I am strongly considering one now because of your review.

It’s just 40nm

I don’t know about the battery

It’s going to be easy this weekend before I get to ride it on some hills and see how it does but I will post back then

Does anyone know the torque on this bike and whether it can handle a more powerful battery?

The Shimano E5000 Drive system has 40 Nm of torque and can use a 418 Wh or 504 Wh downtube battery for increased range.

I don’t think Shimano has any more powerful batteries, they may have some bigger ones

But someone with more experience with these motors will have to chime in

I was initially thinking a bigger battery capacity than 418WH... but then you got me thinking about the voltage as well. Why did they select 36v and not 48v? Ignorant about this stuff.

Back