More Vado first impressions

rochrunner

Region
USA
City
Rochester Hills MI
After ordering my bike last Tuesday -- a Vado 4.0 -- and not expecting it even by today, I was surprised when the shop called me on Monday with the bike assembled and ready for pickup! Since we were having the last warm weather for a while, I didn't waste any time getting out there, giving it a short test ride, and hauling it back home (for another neighborhood checkout). That's all the riding I've been able to do so at this time I'll just give some "static" impressions.

• I was very impressed with the sturdy box containing the charger and a stack of manuals and other papers (see photo). In addition to a really nice Vado/Como-specific user manual, they included the basic paperwork for the Suntour fork and the various Shimano components (shifter, derailleur, hydraulic brakes). This is something you're not going to get with an off-brand or online-ordered bike! Nice job, Specialized.
  • There were a few miscellaneous loose parts whose function I'm not sure of (see photo). The interesting thing, which I was surprised to find, was the "Class 1" sticker. This bike is a Class 3 and the sticker is there on the seat tube, but I guess if I thought I might have a problem riding in a more restricted area (trails in my area tend to differ on this), I could just put the Class 1 sticker over the original one.
  • I had read the user manual ahead of time and was able to do the setup of the display to set "imperial" units and also customize the fields on the data screens. Very nice to have 5 screens even though I can't see a use for more than 3 of them at this time.
  • I had a bit of trouble getting Mission Control to connect, but after a few tries it finally went through and I was able to adjust the tuning. Even my short rides told me that the Eco mode is more boosted that I really need so I tried some setting to spread out the three modes a bit more.
  • The documentation wasn't entirely clear on the ANT+ support from the TCD, so I was glad to find that when I scanned for ANT+ devices from my Garmin Edge 1000 that it found speed, cadence, and power channels to connect to. So I can continue to use my Garmin for monitoring and recording my rides (plus navigation, etc.) and the data will upload to my current destinations (Garmin Conned, Strava, and SportTracks). It can even upload the rides specifically as e-bike rides so I don't claim any bogus KOMs on Strava!).
  • I'll probably end up replacing the seat. If I were wearing padded bike shorts as I do 100% of the time on my other bikes it would probably work OK. But I'm going to use this bike also for errands and other running around town, and I'm pretty thin and don't have any "natural padding" between my sit bones and the seat, so...
  • I wasn't entirely sure about my choice of color among the 3 possibilities, but I think that the Carbon is really nice looking. It's a matte finish and gives the bike more of a "stealth" look.
  • Speaking of stealth, I was not aware of the reflective stripes on the tire sidewalls. Very effective, too.
I'll report back in after I get some actual riding time, which might be next week or a month from now. Until then I've got some items to order from Amazon and a trip down to REI to get all the things on my list...

Attachments

• 2020-03-09 14.21.28.jpg
    2020-03-09 14.21.28.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 2020-03-09 14.57.38.jpg
    2020-03-09 14.57.38.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 2020-03-10 16.53.02.jpg
    2020-03-10 16.53.02.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 409
  • 2020-03-10 16.54.17.jpg
    2020-03-10 16.54.17.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
After ordering my bike last Tuesday and not expecting it even by today, I was surprised when the shop called me on Monday with the bike assembled and ready for pickup! Since we were having the last warm weather for a while, I didn't waste any time getting out there, giving it a short test ride, and hauling it back home (for another neighborhood checkout). That's all the riding I've been able to do so at this time I'll just give some "static" impressions.

• I was very impressed with the sturdy box containing the charger and a stack of manuals and other papers (see photo). In addition to a really nice Vado/Como-specific user manual, they included the basic paperwork for the Suntour fork and the various Shimano components (shifter, derailleur, hydraulic brakes). This is something you're not going to get with an off-brand or online-ordered bike! Nice job, Specialized.
  • There were a few miscellaneous loose parts whose function I'm not sure of (see photo). The interesting thing, which I was surprised to find, was the "Class 1" sticker. This bike is a Class 3 and the sticker is there on the seat tube, but I guess if I thought I might have a problem riding in a more restricted area (trails in my area tend to differ on this), I could just put the Class 1 sticker over the original one.
  • I had read the user manual ahead of time and was able to do the setup of the display to set "imperial" units and also customize the fields on the data screens. Very nice to have 5 screens even though I can't see a use for more than 3 of them at this time.
  • I had a bit of trouble getting Mission Control to connect, but after a few tries it finally went through and I was able to adjust the tuning. Even my short rides told me that the Eco mode is more boosted that I really need so I tried some setting to spread out the three modes a bit more.
  • The documentation wasn't entirely clear on the ANT+ support from the TCD, so I was glad to find that when I scanned for ANT+ devices from my Garmin Edge 1000 that it found speed, cadence, and power channels to connect to. So I can continue to use my Garmin for monitoring and recording my rides (plus navigation, etc.) and the data will upload to my current destinations (Garmin Conned, Strava, and SportTracks). It can even upload the rides specifically as e-bike rides so I don't claim any bogus KOMs on Strava!).
  • I'll probably end up replacing the seat. If I were wearing padded bike shorts as I do 100% of the time on my other bikes it would probably work OK. But I'm going to use this bike also for errands and other running around town, and I'm pretty thin and don't have any "natural padding" between my sit bones and the seat, so...
  • I wasn't entirely sure about my choice of color among the 3 possibilities, but I think that the Carbon is really nice looking. It's a matte finish and gives the bike more of a "stealth" look.
  • Speaking of stealth, I was not aware of the reflective stripes on the tire sidewalls. Very effective, too.
I'll report back in after I get some actual riding time, which might be next week or a month from now. Until then I've got some items to order from Amazon and a trip down to REI to get all the things on my list...
That red plastic thing is to hold open your Disc Brakes : It's probably a generic pack

Congratulations @rochrunner! The colour of your Vado is similar to mine, and Vados always look even better in reality than in the pictures.

Don't worry about the extra parts, just keep them.

Could you take a photo of your saddle? I was given the Myth Sport with my model and since I always wear bibs, I'm more than happy with that saddle. You wrote you wanted to buy the Respiro. The latter is indeed large and comfy, only it bobs a little under one's buttocks during riding, because of the suspension springs. As I said before, I use the Respiro on my other e-bike.

P.S. I love the looks of the Shimano cassette with the granny cog in black 😍

IS THIS A 3 or 4 : I ask because the light placement based on Website is different
It seems that Specialized moved the front light from the stem to the fork about mid-2019. My 2020 Vado 5 was delivered last May with the stem mounted light. I'm guessing this was the stem used with the original display. It has additional mounting points that were used for this display. The new display mounts to the handlebar with its own bracket. The web site photos di still show the original stem.

Congratulations @rochrunner! The colour of your Vado is similar to mine, and Vados always look even better in reality than in the pictures.

Don't worry about the extra parts, just keep them.

Could you take a photo of your saddle? I was given the Myth Sport with my model and since I always wear bibs, I'm more than happy with that saddle. You wrote you wanted to buy the Respiro. The latter is indeed large and comfy, only it bobs a little under one's buttocks during riding, because of the suspension springs. As I said before, I use the Respiro on my other e-bike.

P.S. I love the looks of the Shimano cassette with the granny cog in black 😍
Here you go. By the way, the 2nd photo is of the Respiro on my road bike. It must be different from the one you are referring to since it's not that large and there are definitely no springs.

Attachments

• 2020-03-11 21.21.21.jpg
    2020-03-11 21.21.21.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 355
  • 2020-03-11 21.19.55.jpg
    2020-03-11 21.19.55.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 333
Mine is Respiro Moderate Woman, while yours is Man. I even didn't look at the model name when I was buying that saddle, I just liked it. Similarly, your Specialized saddle is Myth Sport, mine is Myth Sport Women. Perhaps it is why my saddles feel so comfortable! 🤣

1583978573433.png

Selle Royale Respiro Moderate Woman.

1583978649794.png

Specialized Myth Sport WMN. Feels very comfy but I always wear padded shorts or pants on my rides.

Back