Modifying my e-bike seats

kev123

Region
USA
City
Oregon
Two of my e-bikes are a bit high for me. I have a short inseam, short-legged,So I'm gonna have to modify the seat post on these bikes so that I can lower the the seat post.Even further,I've got some ideas.I also have to move the seats as far back as I can so it's more centered over the crankshaft, I'm too far forward. I've noticed with a lot of e-bikes, the crankshaft is not properly aligned with the seat usually the seats too far forward or the crankshafts too far back.So I have some ideas and what to do,And something I need to do.

Yesterday I cut down the seat post insert on my hyper ebike,So that I could lower the seat even further.It went well and I drilled a hole through the bike post insert shaft and put a bolt, to hold the seat post in place,So that it makes me be able to touch the ground more flat-footed.I was impressed that the Hyper bike is made of aluminum , the frame.I still have a the bike clamp, I added the bolt for extra support so the shaft will stay in place.So my next step is is to do the same thing with my felt versa Shimano steps E Bike.

Yesterday I cut down the seat post insert on my hyper ebike,So that I could lower the seat even further.It went well and I drilled a hole through the bike post insert shaft and put a bolt, to hold the seat post in place,So that it makes me be able to touch the ground more flat-footed.I was impressed that the Hyper bike is made of aluminum , the frame.I still have a the bike clamp, I added the bolt for extra support so the shaft will stay in place.So my next step is is to do the same thing with my felt versa Shimano steps E Bike.
your not supposed to be able to put your feet down flat footed on most bikes. that means your seat is too low and your knees wil loafer and you wont be able to put as much effort into peddling.

your not supposed to be able to put your feet down flat footed on most bikes. that means your seat is too low and your knees wil loafer and you wont be able to put as much effort into peddling.
Agreed.

Proper seat height is typically set by sitting on the seat, and placing your heel on the pedal in its lowest/furthest position from the seat. With the heel on the pedal, the leg should be fully extended.

Once the height is set with this method, when you place the ball of your foot on the pedal, at full extension your legs should be not quite fully extended naturally.

It is a Walmart 250W hub-drive. The reach is too far for smaller riders. The bar can be swapped for one that lessens the reach. This rider is likely not pedaling. It is just a throttle scooter, hence the flat foot seatpost setting.
1671034633077.jpeg

IMO, this is a personal matter. With an analog bike, proper leg extension is more important than with an e-bike.

The older I get, the more my sense of balance suffers. I no longer feel comfortable perched high on a saddle. For safety reasons, I lower the seat until I can touch the ground with both toes. I'm willing to sacrifice some pedaling efficiency and let the bike's motor compensate for the loss.

Different strokes for different folks so to speak. 🙄

IMO, this is a personal matter. With an analog bike, proper leg extension is more important than with an e-bike.

The older I get, the more my sense of balance suffers. I no longer feel comfortable perched high on a saddle. For safety reasons, I lower the seat until I can touch the ground with both toes. I'm willing to sacrifice some pedaling efficiency and let the bike's motor compensate for the loss.

Different strokes for different folks so to speak. 🙄
but it can also be hard on your knees.

That would mean you'd have to get off your bike. Every time you came to a stop light. Because you can't put your foot to the ground, or you have to lean. When I come to a stop light. Have to stop. I don't like to have to. Get off my bike and then get back up on it, so. I'm gonna go with. What I've done. And see how it works out. have the pedal assist only. I guess you know that.

Last edited:
That would mean you'd have to get off your bike. Every time you came to a stop light. Because you can't put your foot to the ground, or you have to lean. When I come to a stop light. Have to stop. I don't like to have to. Get off my bike and then get back up on it, so. I'm gonna go with. What I've done. And see how it works out. Find the pedal assist only. I guess you know that.
you can usually get both toes on the ground. I do that on our tandem. or one foot not a big deal. been doing that for 30 years. if you want flat foot you need a crank forwards bike.

I can always adjust it higher, when I need to. If I need to. Anyway thanks for the replies,

@kev123
The way to manage comfort and safety of being able to put your feet on the ground at a stop, and pedaling comfortably and efficiently with legs almost extended, is by using a dropper seat post.
These will allow you to drop the seat to a low position at a stop, but extend it when pedaling, at the press of a lever.

Last edited:
@kev123
The way to manage comfort and safety of being able to put your feet on the ground at a stop, and pedaling comfortably and efficiently with legs almost extended, is by using a dropper seat post.
These will allow you to drop the seat to a low position at a stop, but extend it when pedaling, at the press of a lever.
This is a great way to manage the problem but dropper posts eliminate the possibility of using quality suspension seatposts. Many here use these posts from Kinekt, Thudbuster, Suntour, etc. There is only one combo dropper/suspension post I'm aware of and that's one from PNW components. I've tried it but it doesn't compare to those above.

The thing that comes to my mind is. That they make different. Size bikes for different people. Different size people. What's that all about. ?.

The thing that comes to my mind is. That they make different. Size bikes for different people. Different size people. What's that all about. ?.
Not sure what you are asking, the different bike frame sizes help maintain an efficient position for different size people.
It is an imperfect system given you only have about 3 frame sizes for a lot of different size people.
In addition, people have different proportions like longer legs or longer arms or longer torso....
And finally, not everyone defines comfort the same way, especially when it comes to stand over and seat height....

Yeah the right way to do it is to get your butt off the seat and stand up at a light. Or I pull close to the curb and put my foot on that and stay in the seat. If the ebike is just a low power motorcycle then the flat-foot thing is what motorcycle riders do.

By being able to do a flat-foot stance, you ruin your ability to pedal it with any degree of strength, and you screw up your knees. By drilling holes in the frame you also ruin your ability to peddle the bike to someone else when you decide to sell it.

So no pedaling and no peddling. Not a piddling sacrifice, all around. At least you haven't modified your breaks.

While we are at it, there is no crankshaft on a bicycle. It's called a bottom bracket and spindle, or just bottom bracket.

The right size bike makes all the difference. Centimeters can make a huge difference in feel, with every aspect of a bike - handlebar sweep/length/angle, stem length, placement of the seat (and seat angle) among many other parts on a bike.

You don't get different frame sizes on the lower priced ebikes because they don't have the $ and/or volume of sales to be able to stock multiple sizes of bikes. So to make a 1-size frame fit any particular person, you need to swap out the things that can be changed to make it fit better - it will never be perfect though!

If you want to be able to get low to the ground at a stop and to mount/dismount, but still be able to pedal efficiently while riding, have you considered adding a dropper post? They are intended for the MTB market/riders, but honestly are a great addition to any bike for exactly this purpose.

Back