Mission Control questions

JayY

Probably answered already, but since I'm relatively new to this:
When I upload a ride from MC to Strava I can see detailed info on elevation, speed, and cadence. I assume this must be in MC somewhere, but I'm only seeing for example average mph, not through the ride details. Is there some place in MC to find this?
Also, anybody know how many rides MC can show, or does this depend on the phone being used? In that connection, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8. Wonder if at some point I will need to clear the cache to keep MC working, and whether this will delete all the rides that are stored?
Thanks, jay

Someone who knows will jump in, but I believe that MC rides are stored in the cloud not on your phone or tablet. I upload to Komot ? not Strava, and couldn't find any rides in local storage to delete.

Jay, try the inexpensive app call BLEvo. You will be shocked with its capabilities... I actually stopped using MC.

BLEvo Advantages
I'm sure there are several BLEvo threads already but I'm in a mood to write a longer post now :)

BLEvo is a smartphone app developed by Paolo Dozio, initially for his Turbo Levo. As all newer Specialized Turbo e-bikes sport the TCU (wireless Turbo Control Unit - not the display but a controller), BLEvo will work with all newer Levo, Kenevo, Vado, Como, Creo SL, Vado SL and Levo SL e-bikes.

Glimpse of capabilities:
1607854381124.png

Two main groups of functionality are Tuning & Diagnosis (Bike Setup) and live monitoring of a Turbo e-bike performance, ride recording, maps, and post-ride analysis with connectivity to Strava (Bike Monitor).

1607858034388.png

Similarly to Mission Control, BLEvo allows motor tuning but it lets you maintain multiple selectable tuning profiles (Configurations). So you can make a Configuration good for long-range trips (a little of assistance) and another one good for fast commutes (a lot of assistance). There are many predefined Configurations in the app. (Some features here are only applicable to the Levo: Acc & Shuttle, and some help individuals who derestricted their motors with mechanical derestrictor like Planet3). Note: The last two fields take no effect on Specialized S-Pedelecs (the 45 km/h e-bikes).

1607855063273.png

Battery Monitor, or, "What Specialized don't want to tell you about your battery". The process of querying the battery can take several minutes but eventually all fields will be displayed. Valuable information is the actual number of the recharge cycles made on the battery. Also, true battery capacity is given. Here, it is 591 Wh (it should be 604 Wh nominal).

1607855429175.png

Configuration: You can do things you've never dreamt of before here... You can even define Range Extender or a spare battery...

1607855521432.png

Bike Monitor: Central repository of your ride metrics and map data.

1607855657632.png

Your live bike dashboard on the ride. LEvo works in your language. You can configure the contents as you wish. Here:
  • Time of day
  • Phone battery %
  • Connectivity status (GPS, Bike, Motor)
  • Bike battery %
  • Rider's actual power
  • Motor power (actually: power drawn from the battery)
  • Bike speed (from controller data)
  • Altitude
  • Cadence
  • Ride time (with auto-pause or manual pause)
  • Actual bike speed (from GPS)
  • Assistance level
  • Distance ridden (from GPS)
  • Inclination (it is a weak feature that sometimes gives wrong readout; I think it works better on hills than on plains)
  • Estimated range
  • Battery temperature
  • Motor temperature
1607856376343.png

Then, there are Maps. I haven't explored that part very much but I can tell you BLEvo even knows at what moment on your ride you farted :D (as to say).

1607856604797.png

Post-ride reports extend for many pages, including charts and maps.

1607856824769.png

BLEvo export to Strava.

1607856902361.png

BLEvo export to Strava.

GPS Navigation, Heart Rate Monitoring with BLEvo.

All for some 10 Euros, one-time fee... :)

Last edited:
Many thanks for the detailed information and screenshots you provided. It looks like there are a lot more detailed and interesting features and reporting tools I wasn't aware of and would like to use. I think I will give it a try.
Again many thanks Stefan.

BLEvo Advantages
I'm sure there are several BLEvo threads already but I'm in a mood to write a longer post now :)

BLEvo is a smartphone app developed by Paolo Dozio, initially for his Turbo Levo. As all newer Specialized Turbo e-bikes sport the TCU (wireless Turbo Control Unit - not the display but a controller), BLEvo will work with all newer Levo, Kenevo, Vado, Como, Creo SL, Vado SL and Levo SL e-bikes.

Glimpse of capabilities:
View attachment 74075
Two main groups of functionality are Tuning & Diagnosis (Bike Setup) and live monitoring of a Turbo e-bike performance, ride recording, maps, and post-ride analysis with connectivity to Strava (Bike Monitor).

View attachment 74092
Similarly to Mission Control, BLEvo allows motor tuning but it lets you maintain multiple selectable tuning profiles (Configurations). So you can make a Configuration good for long-range trips (a little of assistance) and another one good for fast commutes (a lot of assistance). There are many predefined Configurations in the app. (Some features here are only applicable to the Levo: Acc & Shuttle, and some help individuals who derestricted their motors with mechanical derestrictor like Planet3). Note: The last two fields take no effect on Specialized S-Pedelecs (the 45 km/h e-bikes).

View attachment 74078

Battery Monitor, or, "What Specialized don't want to tell you about your battery". The process of querying the battery can take several minutes but eventually all fields will be displayed. Valuable information is the actual number of the recharge cycles made on the battery. Also, true battery capacity is given. Here, it is 591 Wh (it should be 604 Wh nominal).

View attachment 74079
Configuration: You can do things you've never dreamt of before here... You can even define Range Extender or a spare battery...

View attachment 74080
Bike Monitor: Central repository of your ride metrics and map data.

View attachment 74082
Your live bike console on the ride, Page 1 here :) BLEvo works in your language. You can configure the contents as you wish. Here:
  • Time of day
  • Phone battery %
  • Connectivity status (GPS, Bike, Motor)
  • Rider's actual power
  • Motor power (actually: power drawn from the battery)
  • Bike speed (from controller data)
  • Altitude
  • Cadence
  • Ride time (with auto-pause or manual pause)
  • Actual bike speed (from GPS)
  • Assistance level
  • Distance ridden (from GPS)
  • Inclination (it is a weak feature that sometimes gives wrong readout; I think it works better on hills than on plains)
  • Estimated range
  • Battery temperature
  • Motor temperature
View attachment 74085
Then, there are Maps. I haven't explored that part very much but I can tell you BLEvo even knows at what moment on your ride you farted :D (as to say).

View attachment 74088
Post-ride reports extend for many pages, including charts and maps.

View attachment 74090
BLEvo export to Strava.

View attachment 74091
BLEvo export to Strava.

GPS Navigation, Heart Rate Monitoring with BLEvo.

All for some 10 Euros, one-time fee... :)
that’s really interesting info Stefan. It looks a really detailed app. Can you have MC and Blevo on/active on same ride? I mean will Mission Control continue to record information on your phone while using Blevo App?

and this might be obvious but I’m new to Watts power etc - in Mission Control when it gives the Watts total in rides is that just rider power or the total of rider and motor combined?

Can you have MC and Blevo on/active on same ride?
No, Rás. You have to choose either BLEvo or MC. As I said, I stopped using MC completely... (The only better feature of MC is Smart Assist). Regarding the Smart Assist of MC, it has been a good feature but when I learned the battery range relationship with my Assist Levels, I don't need to use the Smart Assist anymore. For instance, I perfectly know I would make 40 km in 100% Turbo mode, or 60 km in 50% Sport mode or 80 km in 35% Eco mode on a loop ride with a single 604 Wh battery. It is enough of experience to standardise on BLEvo.

Last edited:
and this might be obvious but I’m new to Watts power etc - in Mission Control when it gives the Watts total in rides is that just rider power or the total of rider and motor combined?
I'm not sure. What I trust is the rider's power meter at the TCD display but MC was always giving me strange post-ride reports, so I stopped using that. I really prefer BLEvo.

You mean to tell me that Specialized a major bicycle manufacturer can't put together a basic bike computer app that works?

Will BLEvo connect to a Tero 5 with Mastermind TCD-W?
It could not do it for me in October 2021... With the version 3.10.0, you can record your rides with BLEvo, and part of parameters can still be read from the Mastermind e-bike, Paolo wrote. However, I had no chance to verify that information.

Will BLEvo connect to a Tero 5 with Mastermind TCD-W?
@ReedM: As I can understand from your other posts, you are very interested with ride/e-bike data. I have thoroughly checked what Paolo Dozzi (the author of BLEvo) has recently written in BLEvo FB fan-page. He says the latest BLEvo can connect to Mastermind TCD-w e-bikes with the following limitations:
  • You cannot write any data to your Tero. Meaning, you cannot set assistance levels from BLEvo; you won't be able to use the special Smart Power option of BLEvo either;
  • The specific Assistance Mode (ECO/SPORT (TRAIL)/TURBO) name won't display.
However -- Paolo writes further -- anything else on the data read side works as it should.

Given how many parameters you can track on your smartphone as you ride, the fact you get extensive post-ride reports including detailed ride map with all parameters at any point of your ride, and export of all parameters to Excel, I think that $10 app is definitely worth trying!

Another information is Paolo has improved the barometric readings related to Elevation greatly.

@Stefan Mikes : Thank you very much, that's good info. I will spring the $10 for BLEvo. I wonder if, some time, Paolo will crack the Specialized code, so that BLEvo will be able to write to TCD-w. The info that is missing is right there on the TCD-w display, settable with the remote.
As an aside, I went to the BLEvo Facebook page. When I read articles, and click on show comments, all I get is a rotating circle. The comments don't show up. What am I doing wrong. Also, the site will force me to review my high school German.

Last edited:
The trouble with Mastermind is the input data are all encrypted to make it hard to derestrict e-bike.
I thought the BLEvo FB page was in Italian?

@Stefan Mikes : The BLEvo FB page is actually in a multitude of languages. Mostly Italian, but enough English so I can figure out what is going on. A few other languages, such as Deutsch. Still can't get comments.

Back