Metro's first month

Bobsiii

One month into ownership, 247 miles, no real problems. Used for running errands as well as longish rec rides on paved multi use paths. Most of my riding now is in Normal mode, 6-7th gear, PAS 1-2, working to get fit enough go to Eco mode in belief that should increase my range. Typical ca 25 mile day takes my battery to about half charge; I'm doing out and backs because the loops I want to ride are 50-60miles, right at edge of battery range I think and still well past my butt range. We've had lots of Spring's bad weather and I'm not getting to ride as often as I want, hope to get to 100 miles/wk minimum

Still trying to adjust the fit, I may end up switching out handlebars for something more swept back because of arthritis in both wrists. I bought some Wald baskets and a Topeak EX/straps rack bag, I'm still tweaking the attachments of baskets - the way the rack is designed attaching baskets tightly creates a small bend in top basket rail that makes it nearly impossible for my arthritic hands to release or hook the top catch.

Bought a Foldylock for security and signed up with Velosurance - as much for roadside assistance as theft, doesn't look like there's any way this non-mechanical guy is going to be changing rear tires for flats. Haven't had any and the 3mm Kevlar belt in tires (Schwalbe Big Bens kept around 50 psi) should make that less of a problem but we do have goatherds and other thorns here.

Love the ride, live in hilly West Denver and it just chews them up; I've only had it up to PAS 3.

Complaints so far:
1/ there are bosses for bottle cage but they're on the downtube and putting a bottle there makes it no longer a step-thru for me, and that was important. The Topeak bag has a bottle holder on the rear that works fine.
2/ I think the rear rack is poorly designed. It's short and there is only one tube near front running down to offer support for panniers/baskets. With no rear support I worry about panniers catching in spokes, that's why I went with the baskets.
3/ Controller only shows max charge as 53.6v, haven't used a multimeter on it.
4/ elbs sent me out the door with a 36v charger.

IMG_6010.JPG The manual bike is my Reid (Aus).

Congrats on the Metro! I have to agree with your complaint number 1. Its the same with my Ui6. If i put a water bottle there it takes away the advantage of being a step thru. I had a velcro strap bottle cage I got a few years ago at Wal-mart to add a second bottle on my recumbent trike. Put it on the Magnum on the down tube but higher so it doesn't interfer with getting on/off.

I have some cheap saddlebags on the rack and have had no problems. I would for sure go back to the LBS and get the right charger!

Hope you have a fun/safe summer on your new ride!

Back