"Mega Transformation of the bicycle" says Brompton CEO

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
True, but he's bet the farm so to speak on the electric Brompton, and ebike sales in Europe are huge. I appreciate they designed many of the components in house, and made necessary compromises with suppliers to keep the price competitive. The battery is made in china but so are most ebike batteries. I understand the decision to keep the weight of the motor and battery all up front was to keep the "Brompton fold" and I like that we're seeing more folding ebikes from well established folding bike brands like Montague, GoCycle, Brompton, that put effort into the practicalities. It's been interesting reading the EBR thread on the Brompton electric, I'm not in the market for an electric folder but I'd still quite like to take my local Brompton dealer's demo for a test ride at some point later on after the initial buzz dies down.

True, but he's bet the farm so to speak on the electric Brompton, and ebike sales in Europe are huge. I appreciate they designed many of the components in house, and made necessary compromises with suppliers to keep the price competitive. The battery is made in china but so are most ebike batteries. I understand the decision to keep the weight of the motor and battery all up front was to keep the "Brompton fold" and I like that we're seeing more folding ebikes from well established folding bike brands like Montague, GoCycle, Brompton, that put effort into the practicalities. It's been interesting reading the EBR thread on the Brompton electric, I'm not in the market for an electric folder but I'd still quite like to take my local Brompton dealer's demo for a test ride at some point later on after the initial buzz dies down.
Brompton has a nice fan base, and so its a natural evolution for them to finally do electric. With declining non-electric bike sales in developed countries, and the most significant growth bike segment being electric, Brompton doesn't have much of a choice, if they want to keep growing.

I live on the edge of London and the electric bike has transformed my commute. Normally an hour door to door by train/tube and about the same with a non electric bike. On the CCS I can drop that time by 20 minutes

Back