Mahle ebikemotion motor repair/alternative

OrbeaD40

Region
United Kingdom
A long shot, I'm aware...the Mahle ebikemotion X35 motor on my Orbea Gain has stopped working, showing on the Mahle app as "motor sensor fault". No shop seems willing to attempt a repair, the most response I've had is "probably a short". It seems a bit absurd to throw away an expensive motor without attempting repair, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to overcome this fault they would be very gratefully received.

If it's not possible to repair, Orbea want £450 for a replacement motor. Does anyone know if the Mahle motor is completely unique, or are there cheaper alternatives that would work within the system? I know the answer is most likely no there aren't, but I'd like to check before shelling out such a large amount!

29 hours, no response.
It is possible using the information from the bike display, that the wiring or controller is bad instead of the motor. I wouldn't just go buying parts without further confirmation of a motor problem.
Mahle parts are possibly made in switzerland, and hence more expensive than parts from the country of 1.4 billion political prisoners. I tried to buy a mahle kit for that reason in 2017, with with motor, controller, battery, which was $2000. By the time I saved up the money san diego cycle stopped selling mahle conversion kits and mahle was only available on bicycles. Orbea is a drop handlebar bike and IMHO suitable only for people that want to go around bashing their heads into trees signs & culverts.
If you show a picture of the connector, maybe one of us will recognize it as something you can replace with a motor bought from *****. Not likely, proprietary patented connectors are one of the practices companies use to make sure only authorized repair parts are used.
If a hall effect sensor is shorted, you may be able to replace it with one from a dead ****ese hub motor. Those sensors are not compatible with the honeywell sensors sold at electronic supply houses, so I know of no other source. Maybe in quantities of 10000 from alibaba, if you are willing to give away your birthdate to make a purchase.
If the winding is shorted, a meter to accurately test a half ohm or whatever inductance it has is >$200, so kind of a long shot on you saving any money buying the meter. Motors generally can't be rewound, only have shorted outer turns pulled off (on AC pump motors costing >$1000). I've been trying to buy an inductance meter. The japanese vendor of the CH-500 went invisible 6 months ago. ****ese **** meter or nothing the market tells me.
You could convert to another brand hub motor that is cheaper if you buy a kit with motor, controller, brake handles, sprocket "pas" sensor, switch pad etc. This would be a messy install with wires wrapped to the frame. I ride a bike converted with one of those. Main problem I have is unwrapping the wires on the crossbar with my shoe when climbing on. But maybe you are not over 60 & stiff as I am.

Last edited:
Many thanks for such a detailed reply, very useful. Confirms my suspicion that if I want to keep the bike as sleek and handsome as it is now I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get the motor; I think the Mahle system with its integrated battery and controller is only going to work with its own parts.

I love drop bar bikes, apart from this one I have two non powered, one road race and one gravel, but each to their own! Best regards.

... Orbea is a drop handlebar bike and IMHO suitable only for people that want to go around bashing their heads into trees signs & culverts. ...
Correction: Orbea use the Mahle X35 system on flat bar bikes, as do many other brands. I'm well over 70 years old and have ridden drop bar bikes for more than 60 of those years without 'bashing my head into trees signs & culverts'.

A long shot, I'm aware...the Mahle ebikemotion X35 motor on my Orbea Gain has stopped working, showing on the Mahle app as "motor sensor fault". No shop seems willing to attempt a repair, the most response I've had is "probably a short". It seems a bit absurd to throw away an expensive motor without attempting repair, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to overcome this fault they would be very gratefully received.

If it's not possible to repair, Orbea want £450 for a replacement motor. Does anyone know if the Mahle motor is completely unique, or are there cheaper alternatives that would work within the system? I know the answer is most likely no there aren't, but I'd like to check before shelling out such a large amount!

Probably what is failing you is the PAS sensor that goes on the right swingarm strap of the bicycle, they sell it on the Orbea page.

25 kmh is the legal limit in the UK and Europe, with all respect you might need to consider that not everyone lives in America?

Probably what is failing you is the PAS sensor that goes on the right swingarm strap of the bicycle, they sell it on the Orbea page.

Thanks but no it's not that, checked with another wheel from the same make. The problem is definitely internal to the motor.

Back