Magnum Ebike - disappointed

magnumUi62019

I bought a Magnum Ui6 ebike April 9/2019 (in Toronto). I enjoyed it for one summer. The following March I took it out for the first spin of the year and the pedal assist wasn't working properly. I tried to contact the retailer that sold me the bike (as it was still under warranty - Adventure Cycle) - but the phone rang and rang and they did not pick up, nor did they respond to my many emails. I wasn't too worried about this because, due to covid, most businesses were closed. Anyways, to make a long story - short - I finally realized that Adventure Cycles had gone out of business and found a new magnum dealer (over an hour away from me), in August. I contacted Magnum Bikes to see if they would extend my warranty by a few months (I needed to purchase a new controller) but they refused to do this - ummmmm - most car companies, electronic companies - most of the world - extended their warranties due to covid. But not Magnum! I got exactly 7 months of use on my bike before putting it away for the winter - and when I took it out again, the world was in covid. By the time I realized that my dealer was out of business (Adventure Cycles), my bike was out of warranty and I had to find a dealer over an hour away. Magnum said, 'Sorry we don't extend our warranty'. Whaaaat?!! This is how you treat your customers in these extenuating circumstances? It doesn't bode well that I needed to do ANY repairs on a bike that is barely over a year old. I was very disappointed in the lack of customer service that I received from Magnum Bikes. My husband is going to be buying an ebike soon and we will stay far away from Magnum due to this experience. There are lots of ebike alternatives out there. Look for one that values and treats its customers well. I thought I'd share.

Based on my experience dealing directly with Magnum, this doesn't surprise me. If there's a bright side, at least you aren't tied to them for two bikes. Still, it's unfortunate to hear.

I bought a Magnum Ui6 ebike April 9/2019 (in Toronto). I enjoyed it for one summer. The following March I took it out for the first spin of the year and the pedal assist wasn't working properly. I tried to contact the retailer that sold me the bike (as it was still under warranty - Adventure Cycle) - but the phone rang and rang and they did not pick up, nor did they respond to my many emails. I wasn't too worried about this because, due to covid, most businesses were closed. Anyways, to make a long story - short - I finally realized that Adventure Cycles had gone out of business and found a new magnum dealer (over an hour away from me), in August. I contacted Magnum Bikes to see if they would extend my warranty by a few months (I needed to purchase a new controller) but they refused to do this - ummmmm - most car companies, electronic companies - most of the world - extended their warranties due to covid. But not Magnum! I got exactly 7 months of use on my bike before putting it away for the winter - and when I took it out again, the world was in covid. By the time I realized that my dealer was out of business (Adventure Cycles), my bike was out of warranty and I had to find a dealer over an hour away. Magnum said, 'Sorry we don't extend our warranty'. Whaaaat?!! This is how you treat your customers in these extenuating circumstances? It doesn't bode well that I needed to do ANY repairs on a bike that is barely over a year old. I was very disappointed in the lack of customer service that I received from Magnum Bikes. My husband is going to be buying an ebike soon and we will stay far away from Magnum due to this experience. There are lots of ebike alternatives out there. Look for one that values and treats its customers well. I thought I'd share.
Thanks for the through details. This will help FUTURE buyers make a decision based on all the available information. Please update us if they make it right by you after reading your post!

Magnum is horrible! Bought a Summit that did not work the first two rides...the mfg fixed it after the first time the battery broke, and then it broke again right after the mfg supposedly fixed it. Lost over $500 buying a bike that never worked only to have them charge me $500 restocking fee for a bike THAT NEVER WORKED out of the box. Lousy bike, lousy mfg.

I will echo the above negative reviews. Magnum doesn’t have a dealer in my area so I bought a Premium II from their website after riding my sister’s bike in FL. What a mistake! We have since purchased a RAD Mini Step-thru and the difference in packaging is astounding. Magnum should not be in the business of direct sales. Or at the very least should post a prominent disclaimer on their website that you shouldn’t buy unless you’re well-versed in bike mechanics/repair. Or willing to pay a local mechanic to fix what breaks in shipping (on top of already paying, in our case, about $500 more than the RAD. Customer service started out nice but after dozens of emails asking a single question each time (and then a delay of several days), the contact became a bit passive aggressive. Wish I’d never bought this Magnum bike.

I had similar issues with Rad Power and Nakto. The sales and payment is all they are interested in. The local shops start at $2500 for basic bikes.

Back