M5, Problem after 21 months...

I wanted to provide an original post back in April of 2015...nice there is a dedicate forum now...
(https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-vs-full-sized-electric-bikes.151/#post-16983)

I've been using my M5 it to commute about 3x a week (approximately 5+ miles round trip) and had been loving it so much so, I backed their current indigogo for the new Ecoreco Model R big time (+2 and lots of accessories), and I also picked up a model XS due to price. Only just this week, I figured if ever my M5 ecoreco scooter went down, I would need a temporary replacement to fill in while I got it repaired (the XS more than the R). Plus, since the M5 has been so great, it would be nice to have extras for the whole family to scoot along during a trip or vacation.

Just two days later, I was taking the ecoreco M5 to the first part of my commute when only after about two blocks, it shut down on a slight incline. I couldn't even turn it back on.

The stats at that time were approximately 1000 miles, 88 recharges, per the ecoreco onboard readout, used for about 21 months. In addition to daily commuting, I have found the M5 was useful when I had to bring the family car to the shop and needed to get back home, as well as when the commuter train broke down - I just took the scooter the rest of the way back home (happen about 3 times)!

When I tried to turn it on on the second segment of my morning commute (post commuter train) , I managed to get the screen on, but it would flicker and then shut down when I hit the accelerator. Later on, I followed their trouble shooting instructions to known problems; these are listed when one follows the "My Scooter Does not Run" link (https://ecorecoscooter.com/troubleshooting). Following the third set of instructions, I pulled up the deck and checked the connection. I found that when I turned the scooter on, a clicking noise (maybe almost sparking like sound) was being made in the motor/controller area.

I emailed customer service, and since I am somewhat local, the next day I drove it down to what I though was the Ecoreco Cupertino location to have them look at it. Turns out, their posted addy is a UPS store, but when I called them again, the customer support person came right away to pick up the scooter (<5 min). I pleaded with him to have the ecoreco tech look at it today to see if it was a simple motor swap like on the website instructions, since the drive there is long, and gets horrible at rush hour. Unfortunately, after about an hour waiting around, I called back and the service rep said they would be not be able to fix it today since it was an unknown problem.

I will post and update everyone on how good the ecoreco after purchase customer service is...

My commute the day the M5 failed was pretty frustrating; you really cannot use it as a normal scooter since the height from ground makes pushing like a non-electric scooter hard on the other leg that is planted to the scooter. Also having to go back to using the bus system that is late and does not run regularly...! Even after taking a half hour off work earlier just to make my commute train, I still only barely made it in time using the bus system. I am so glad I've had the M5 Ecoreco for my commute. Hopefully I will be as satisfied with their customer service as I have been with the M5 itself up until now. I will report back what caused the problem if they tell me. I must say that I am a little disappointed that after bringing it down in person (not to mention funding multiple items on their indigogo), they weren't able to get it back to me today, as well as taking a bit of time to tell me that it wouldn't be fixed today.

I do find it ironic that this has happened right after funding their new scooters, but really hope they are able to diagnose and fix the problem before next week's commute.

-J
Ecoreco Discount Code: NJfVYC
(Gets you $50 off a scooter, and gives me some credit towards a future purchase ;) )

I wanted to provide an original post back in April of 2015...nice there is a dedicate forum now...
(https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-vs-full-sized-electric-bikes.151/#post-16983)

I've been using my M5 it to commute about 3x a week (approximately 5+ miles round trip) and had been loving it so much so, I backed their current indigogo for the new Ecoreco Model R big time (+2 and lots of accessories), and I also picked up a model XS due to price. Only just this week, I figured if ever my M5 ecoreco scooter went down, I would need a temporary replacement to fill in while I got it repaired (the XS more than the R). Plus, since the M5 has been so great, it would be nice to have extras for the whole family to scoot along during a trip or vacation.

Just two days later, I was taking the ecoreco M5 to the first part of my commute when only after about two blocks, it shut down on a slight incline. I couldn't even turn it back on.

The stats at that time were approximately 1000 miles, 88 recharges, per the ecoreco onboard readout, used for about 21 months. In addition to daily commuting, I have found the M5 was useful when I had to bring the family car to the shop and needed to get back home, as well as when the commuter train broke down - I just took the scooter the rest of the way back home (happen about 3 times)!

When I tried to turn it on on the second segment of my morning commute (post commuter train) , I managed to get the screen on, but it would flicker and then shut down when I hit the accelerator. Later on, I followed their trouble shooting instructions to known problems; these are listed when one follows the "My Scooter Does not Run" link (https://ecorecoscooter.com/troubleshooting). Following the third set of instructions, I pulled up the deck and checked the connection. I found that when I turned the scooter on, a clicking noise (maybe almost sparking like sound) was being made in the motor/controller area.

I emailed customer service, and since I am somewhat local, the next day I drove it down to what I though was the Ecoreco Cupertino location to have them look at it. Turns out, their posted addy is a UPS store, but when I called them again, the customer support person came right away to pick up the scooter (<5 min). I pleaded with him to have the ecoreco tech look at it today to see if it was a simple motor swap like on the website instructions, since the drive there is long, and gets horrible at rush hour. Unfortunately, after about an hour waiting around, I called back and the service rep said they would be not be able to fix it today since it was an unknown problem.

I will post and update everyone on how good the ecoreco after purchase customer service is...

My commute the day the M5 failed was pretty frustrating; you really cannot use it as a normal scooter since the height from ground makes pushing like a non-electric scooter hard on the other leg that is planted to the scooter. Also having to go back to using the bus system that is late and does not run regularly...! Even after taking a half hour off work earlier just to make my commute train, I still only barely made it in time using the bus system. I am so glad I've had the M5 Ecoreco for my commute. Hopefully I will be as satisfied with their customer service as I have been with the M5 itself up until now. I will report back what caused the problem if they tell me. I must say that I am a little disappointed that after bringing it down in person (not to mention funding multiple items on their indigogo), they weren't able to get it back to me today, as well as taking a bit of time to tell me that it wouldn't be fixed today.

I do find it ironic that this has happened right after funding their new scooters, but really hope they are able to diagnose and fix the problem before next week's commute.

-J
(Gets you $50 off a scooter, and gives me some credit towards a future purchase ;) )

Any update? How did they treat you? I also just backed the indigogo and live on the other side of the country nowhere near an electric bike shop if I should run into similar difficulties... Thanks for posting!

-J

What was the final result and price tag for parts and labor?

Back