M-ERR (motor error) on Specialized Turbo 2016

eagamer80

Hi guys,

I had my bike on the garage since last december, which I stopped cycling due to the weather here in Sweden it gets nasty with all the snow, salt and gravel that there's on the road. That literally destroys all mechanical parts of the bike specially if you don't clean it after use. Anyway... the thing is that I came back to business and have notice now two symptoms which may be a problem.

1- M-ERR message when I boot up the battery on the bike. Motor no response. Or it may respond after changing to ECO mode and pedal a little.
2- Back wheel spinning by itself to max speed when I give a little push on the pedals (it literally goes on by itself unless I completely break the wheel).

The M-ERR message might dissapear if I turn off-on again, and after pedaling for a while.

When I boot without the ERR message the symptom 2 shows up (but it works, I can make my commute to work).

Bike out of warranty already. I've no idea where to check.

This is the hub drive turbo correct? It sounds to me to be a torque sensor issue. I don't have a turbo, but you sparked a memory for me of something I read more than once. I had to search for the reference. This blog goes into the issue. There are several pages, and it's been some time since I read the entire blog.

"My Turbo has gone insane and decided to run at 28mph like a throttle as soon as I hit the pedal. I don’t even need to pedal. Glad it’s spec’d with great disc brakes. Does it need an exorcism?"

https://secondnaturecycling.wordpre...d-turbo-s-troubleshooting-and-diagnosis-pt-1/

You might need a dealer to resolve the issue. Good luck!

Hi, thanks for this link. I had no idea of this. But suming up there might be 2 solutions: 1. try with another battery (luckily I have a 2nd one, which I haven't tried yet) 2. Recalibrate the motor (which in that case I'll need to send it to the dealer). If it's related to the battery may be a firmware upgrade-reflash will do it, but that's just speculation.
Thanks again!

Update: changing batteries do not make any difference (neither diagnosing the bike. The diagnose tool throws different error codes in the motor but I find no reference for them on the internet). When I do notice a difference is when the backwheel is clean, I get the M-ERR less often (my impresion). Not sure how it's related. But the wheel spins like crazy without control as soon as you make any movement on the wheel. I'll have to replace it anytime soon, but my dealer is quite far, so I'll see when this happen.

Back