Luna Z1 top speed & range questions

mfmoeykens

Luna Z1 questions:
(Im 6', 205lbs, if you needed to know)

In throttle mode, what is the top speed?
About how many miles in full throttle mode?
In PAS Mode, what is the top speed?
About how many miles in PAS mode?

Due to the gearing I don't know that you can get top speed without pedaling. This guy got up to 39 mph pedaling on flat ground with Watt Wagons (w/Archon X1 controller). He was set in PAS Level 5, Sport Mode. Watt Wagons Hydra is the same frame as the Z1 but they use a different (modified) controller than Luna.

Overall, it's probably similar. If Luna didn't have it's name so obnoxiously bright and stuck with the dull grey like the original X1 Enduro I would buy one.

"If Luna didn't have it's name so obnoxiously bright and stuck with the dull grey like the original X1 Enduro I would buy one."

tempImagea1QO8D.png

For me at the time the Z1 deal was too good to pass up but also was bothered by the white lettering. Some camo duct tape and a sharp knife took care of that. Could have done a more professional job if I was a professional but the effect was what I was looking for. My buddy Ray blacked out the L and A and it now says UN. You just have to get creative?

Has all the power I need and then some. I don't ride the throttle but with the 36/10 high gear I have on mine top speed on level ground is about 25mph but will climb a wall. My road bike with a 1000w peak output will do over 35mph on flat ground pretty easily but I have a really tall gear, 160" due to a Schlumpf High Speed drive so pedaling is still effective at that speed. Buying an ebike based on top speed under throttle is the wrong idea to start out with. But does seem to be popular......

HA! Well done on the lettering though it does look like the tape is rippled a bit. Beautiful Central CA Coast backdrop! I'd imagine there's some awesome trails around there.

Question...can you take a Bafang-powered bike to Big Bear or Mammoth, or will they refuse you? (Yeah, I know it defeats the purpose a bit when they have lifts but I've never been.)

I live on the north coast of OR. I do have a unique bike washing station and yes there are awesome trails here with no access restrictions to speak of.

Also not as bad as that pic makes it look for some reason it looks puffy in spots but not nearly as much in real life. Bike usually needs a better bath though but I am good about keeping the drivetrain up to snuff and brake pads in order, or should I say on....

According to recent reviews of the Z1 on the Luna's website, I'm seeing people are receiving the bike with LUNA in gray now. I have sent an email to LUNA to clarify this. Ill put their response in here when I get it.
Also, my wife has an Aventon Aventure. I pedal that thing all the time, but I'm just curious about top speed and distance on the Z1 to give me a good comparison....that's all.
Also, I work at Deer Valley and we do mountain biking here. If there's a throttle on the mountain bike, they wont allow it on the lift. I'm guessing (again, just guessing), that it you take the throttle off, they can be tricked and may allow it. We rent out Rossignol mandate shift deore 11 that are pure Class 1 that are allowed (it has a 250W mid drive). Of course, all ski areas are different.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    223 KB · Views: 229
"If Luna didn't have it's name so obnoxiously bright and stuck with the dull grey like the original X1 Enduro I would buy one."
Took delivery of a Z1 in June 22'. The LUNA letters are dull gray.
LUNA_Z1.JPG

Last edited:
According to recent reviews of the Z1 on the Luna's website, I'm seeing people are receiving the bike with LUNA in gray now. I have sent an email to LUNA to clarify this. Ill put their response in here when I get it.
Also, my wife has an Aventon Aventure. I pedal that thing all the time, but I'm just curious about top speed and distance on the Z1 to give me a good comparison....that's all.
Also, I work at Deer Valley and we do mountain biking here. If there's a throttle on the mountain bike, they wont allow it on the lift. I'm guessing (again, just guessing), that it you take the throttle off, they can be tricked and may allow it. We rent out Rossignol mandate shift deore 11 that are pure Class 1 that are allowed (it has a 250W mid drive). Of course, all ski areas are different.
That's good on Luna grey. I've seen that on a trail - looked sharp.

I figured as much on thumb throttle. Would they notice a motorcycle twist grip throttle? I'd probably use an analog bike those days anyhow - all downhill for the most part.

View attachment 135511
For me at the time the Z1 deal was too good to pass up but also was bothered by the white lettering. Some camo duct tape and a sharp knife took care of that. Could have done a more professional job if I was a professional but the effect was what I was looking for. My buddy Ray blacked out the L and A and it now says UN. You just have to get creative?

Has all the power I need and then some. I don't ride the throttle but with the 36/10 high gear I have on mine top speed on level ground is about 25mph but will climb a wall. My road bike with a 1000w peak output will do over 35mph on flat ground pretty easily but I have a really tall gear, 160" due to a Schlumpf High Speed drive so pedaling is still effective at that speed. Buying an ebike based on top speed under throttle is the wrong idea to start out with. But does seem to be popular......
top speed under throttle + range + comfortable seat + decent brakes
that's what a lot of people who want for a " car replacement" ebike, and who are not really into bikes and have no intention of pedalling but want a small moped/motorcycle without registration/insurance/gas etc.
it does make sense if you have a long commute with very little bike/car traffic
personally I ordered a ride1up class 3 ebike for my wife and she loves it but never rides 28mph. I love the pedal assist on long flat or especially uphill but I absolutely hate the cadence sensor that has a lag of several seconds to start or cut power, zero control on /off assist, even worse, the thumb throttle has a pretty long travel but the same lag and on/off behavior (like every cadence sensor I guess). I can't imagine buying an ebike for myself that wouldn't have a torque sensor, and if it's high power/big battery, a full twist throttle, with a precise throttle response. who would accept a car/motorcycle with and on/off accelerator pedal and that would keep accelerating for 2-3 seconds after you let off the throttle.

Back