Luna prebuilt bikes

A slight back pedal, and I was surprised when after nearly 3 years, I tried the "green button."
I really like it.

shift sensor works great for me, my brake sensor seems to come on by itself at the most annoying times and cuts everything off, so I usually unplug them, wich is fine except the bike continues to pedal after I stop peddling. Got my program cable not have to figure out how to stop the ghost peddling

shift sensor works great for me, my brake sensor seems to come on by itself at the most annoying times and cuts everything off, so I usually unplug them, wich is fine except the bike continues to pedal after I stop peddling. Got my program cable not have to figure out how to stop the ghost peddling
At the PAS part of the program, there are settings on how quickly the motor starts when you pedal and how quickly the motor stops when you stop pedaling. If you set the stop setting too sensitively, it will have a jerky operation since it will stop (and then start) even when you don't intend to. There is a software that luna recommended that you download that contain the program for the controller.

If you want the brake sensor to be less sensitive and avoid accidental activation, move the magnet and sensor closer together or use a stronger magnet.

Last edited:
If it's the kit supplied brake lever with sensor they do fail. But since there are two it seems odd. Unless you have installed the hydraulic style. Every one of my 4 BBSxx bikes with kit levers have always worked with standard programming. EM3ev, Lectric, and Luna. All work fine for cutoff.

Hi. I am new here. I need an ebike. I have been looking online and have ridden a Pedego before. I am really taken with the Luna Prebuilts...there are so many to choose from tho. I am a 5'3" 135 lb. 65 yoa female....with one lung. That's the reason for an ebike now. I can't keep up with my pals and, living in western Montana, I really suck at getting up hills. Any advice will be helpful. I ride a Trek Navigator now so I am used to a heavy bike. Thank you so much. Happy Trails.

Hi. I am new here. I need an ebike. I have been looking online and have ridden a Pedego before. I am really taken with the Luna Prebuilts...there are so many to choose from tho. I am a 5'3" 135 lb. 65 yoa female....with one lung. That's the reason for an ebike now. I can't keep up with my pals and, living in western Montana, I really suck at getting up hills. Any advice will be helpful. I ride a Trek Navigator now so I am used to a heavy bike. Thank you so much. Happy Trails.
I'd tend to go for a bike that will be supported and have a warranty. They charge extra for a warranty. Quite a bit of an extra cost. If you aren't one to build or maintain, you might be better working with a shop locally. You're a smaller person and wouldn't need a powerful bike. Where in Montana? I know the state well and if he hills aren't really steep a gear drive might give you all you need. How steep are the hills you want to follow your friends on? Other here are more familiar with prebuilt bikes. The Trek Navigator would be a decent bike to convert. Is it the step through version? A rear motor as well as a mid drive would work for you on that bike. Missoula has a shop with kits.

I live about 1 1/2 east of Missoula. Pretty steep grades when you get out of town. And my pals love those steep grades. I will check with my local shop(s) for a kit before looking at Missoula. I do like those Luna Prebuilts tho I don't know who would do standard maintenance for me here.

I live about 1 1/2 east of Missoula. Pretty steep grades when you get out of town. And my pals love those steep grades. I will check with my local shop(s) for a kit before looking at Missoula. I do like those Luna Prebuilts tho I don't know who would do standard maintenance for me here.
If your bike fits you and you like it, put a kit on it! A BBSHD would be great. But I'd go with someone with a better battery warranty. For a few extra bucks. That would be a great ride. BTW We're the same age and I did he BBSHD to be able to runs with my pals too. IF you buy a bike already built, make sure you ride that version and it's a good fit for you. I really recommend converting a bike you really like and are used to riding for best results. Unless you really don't like the Trek.

Standard maintenance can be done by any bike shop. Really there's not much else to do once a kit is installed. Being small a BBS02 would also do very well for you.

Last edited:
I had wonderful flashbacks of living in Missoula. And the house I lived still stands!!! I lived there the year the city shut down when it rained ash from the volcano! What fun to be able to eBike around that fun city!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 6.04.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-09 at 6.04.46 PM.png
    661.3 KB · Views: 914
The thread has quickly become way too technical for me. Just a couple things I've been wondering about:

Unless I've missed something, majority of bikes under $2,000 have cadence sensors, inferior in handling to higher priced models with nice torque sensor. Albeit a kit bike, Luna is neither better nor worse than others, in this context.

Factory bikes with flat-foot crank-forward position - don't Townie, Biktrix, EG offer some?

Proprietary battery is bad, yes. But, as long as it's not a weirdly shaped pack hidden in the downtube, replacing it with an aftermarket pack of the same voltage would be doable, no?

Last edited:
If your bike fits you and you like it, put a kit on it! A BBSHD would be great. But I'd go with someone with a better battery warranty. For a few extra bucks. That would be a great ride. BTW We're the same age and I did he BBSHD to be able to runs with my pals too. IF you buy a bike already built, make sure you ride that version and it's a good fit for you. I really recommend converting a bike you really like and are used to riding for best results. Unless you really don't like the Trek.

I'd agree with converting a bike that you really like already. Cost effective, Bike fits. No need to get extra space for storage. A BBS02 and battery adds 8 and 6 pounds respectively. Your bike might feel a little heavier to a 135 pound rider, but for me at 190, it handles and rides the same. There's no pedal drag from the motor. Set it up for 9 level pedal assist and it can be ridden slow or fast. Throttle is always available if you want to ride without assist.

Riding with friends, I would predict that you'll easily keep up with them and not use much power at all. Battery range from a modest 11.5AH ought to last the whole ride.

I did a BBS02 conversion about 11 months ago. A bike shop should be able to do it. It's no harder than changing the front gear sprocket and swapping in new brake levers. The Bafang BBS02 wiring is plug and play. If you have Luna put the appropriate connectors on the battery cradle and the motor controller (they may already do this) , no further wiring skills are needed. Watch an install video on youtube. You may have friends with the mechanical skills to do the install. Being a minimalist, I don't see a need for a gear sensor or extra cost Lekkie gears. I mostly use my BBS02 to pull my grand daughter around in a trailer.

I've purchased three batteries from Lunacycle and they have been trouble free. If given a choice of the bottle type batteries, I feel that the Dolphin type fits best on a bottle mount. We have that type on two of our bikes.

Bottle is doubtless the toughest case. Excellent choice. But the Hailong case, Shark, fits more triangles.

Last edited:
The thread has quickly become way too technical for me. Just a couple things I've been wondering about:

Unless I've missed something, majority of bikes under $2,000 have cadence sensors, inferior in handling to higher priced models with nice torque sensor. Albeit a kit bike, Luna is neither better nor worse than others, in this context.

Factory bikes with flat-foot crank-forward position - don't Townie, Biktrix, EG offer some?

Proprietary battery is bad, yes. But, as long as it's not a weirdly shaped pack hidden in the downtube, replacing it with an aftermarket pack of the same voltage would be doable, no?
Well subject to opinions. I'm and old fella and torque sensing, meh, take it or leave it. I like PAS sensors. Set up right they're all i need and $100 left in my pocket. For the athletic type torque sensing would probably be the choice. As far a inferior handling? I don't find it changes how my bike handles. It's a better way to measure input, but again, the bike steers and performs the same. Kits are kits regardless of who they come from. You're right. No one has the edge, BBSxx is a BBSxx regardless of reseller. Unfortunatley no true crank forward bike maker has a prebuilt mid drive. Right now a KHS from Luna is the only choice. Sadly KHS dumbed down the quality of the Smoothie for last year and the coming season. Lower grade brakes, rims, hubs, and other bits. If theres anything technical i can help sort fo you, id happily do that without opinions. I mentioned Gear Drives because they are better at inclines than direct drives. And mid drives rule if ther are lots of grades to tackle. Luna does have torque sensing options for hub drives but no mid drive kit, currently available, has torque sensing.

I have only ridden cadence sensors, and I agree that some controllers do a bad job implementing them. I have replaced the bad controllers with models that claim torque simulation, which is just a better calibrated power to pedal algorithm, and they have at least 5 levels to fit your speed. I consider the Bafang 9 level pedal assist a system with good control.

Next June, Bike Expo comes to town and I look forward to trial rides on the Bosch and Yamaha systems.

A cadence sensor does need 1/4-1/2 turn of the pedals to start the motor. So if you're at a stop and can't get the pedals going because you're in the wrong gear, then a torque sensor might rescue you. But an experienced rider will have downshifted to first gear in the first place. An active throttle, which you get on a Luna mid drive and most kit nikes, is even better. My wife prefers keeping her feet down and using the throttle to get moving. Torque sensor wouldn't help her at all.

My wife prefers keeping her feet down and using the throttle to get moving. Torque sensor wouldn't help her at all.
Hopefully with a BBSHD where you can likely get away with that. On a BBS01 or 02 being in first gear or two is advised. I actually seldom shift my BBSHD bike leaning it in 4th or 5th of 7 speeds. THAT will cook an 02 eventually, if not sooner. Although my 115Lb wife is brutal on her 01 and it's held up. Weight is a mitigating factor.

She should try a hub drive :)

Hey Alex! Howz the riding season there?

Maybe she's just fine. Sounds like the levels one may be like the darling here. Light enough to disregard the normal parameters.

Back