Looking to install torque sensor.

Cnsljo

Region
USA
I just received my new Aventon Level 750W commuter bike. I didn’t realize it has a cadence Pas which is too much for my wife to handle. I understand you may be able to install a bottom bracket torque sensor for a more realistic ride. Any recommendations on one that would work with my Aventon would be greatly appreciated. I really like the bike and prefer not to sell. Thanks in advance...

Welcome Cnsljo, sorry to hear that the PAS Is too much for your wife to handle. I’m not aware of any modification to change the ride. Did you try contacting Aventon to ask if torque sensor can be added? First of all, you have a cadence sensor which pedals quite different from a torque (more realistic), its unfortunate that you didn’t test ride it before purchasing. If it can’t be modified, then she can learn how to ride this fine, good looking, quality bike. There are many responses about Aventon within EBR in how to operate it. The one major issue people have with it is the sudden surge in PAS1. You don’t have to start out in power mode. The bike is very easy to pedal without power and once you feel confident, then you can power on. Another thing you can do is to utilize the throttle when starting out. Though you do have to first pedal about 1/4 turn before it activates. You have an excellent bike with lots of decent quality accessories for the price. Give it a shot and try riding in an open field to get used to it before making a judgment. The return prices on resales are not very good for any bike. Take your time, get to know the bikes capabilities and I’m sure that you will be happy with it. Good luck and ride safe.

Welcome Cnsljo, sorry to hear that the PAS Is too much for your wife to handle. I’m not aware of any modification to change the ride. Did you try contacting Aventon to ask if torque sensor can be added? First of all, you have a cadence sensor which pedals quite different from a torque (more realistic), its unfortunate that you didn’t test ride it before purchasing. If it can’t be modified, then she can learn how to ride this fine, good looking, quality bike. There are many responses about Aventon within EBR in how to operate it. The one major issue people have with it is the sudden surge in PAS1. You don’t have to start out in power mode. The bike is very easy to pedal without power and once you feel confident, then you can power on. Another thing you can do is to utilize the throttle when starting out. Though you do have to first pedal about 1/4 turn before it activates. You have an excellent bike with lots of decent quality accessories for the price. Give it a shot and try riding in an open field to get used to it before making a judgment. The return prices on resales are not very good for any bike. Take your time, get to know the bikes capabilities and I’m sure that you will be happy with it. Good luck and ride safe.
Thanks BigAl1463... I really like the Aventon. It is high quality, good looking, and is an amazing value!
I admit I did not fully research e-bike sensors before I purchased.
We rode mid drive Bosch's in Girona ESP last year and assumed all e-bikes had torque sensors.
I hear you on giving it a chance but we were both thinking torque sensor - like riding.
Saw some bottom bracket torque sensors on-line that looked like they may work but not sure how their controllers would sync up with the Aventon Motor..

Grin sells a unit that consist of a BB assembly (replaces the shaft for the pedals), and their Cycle Analyst display. It read the force on the pedals and converts it to a toggle signal. Your controller need to have a throtttle input. Quite complicated, expensive, and out of stock anyway. https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/torque-sensors.html

There are a few bikes that have overly strong level 1 pedal assist. BigAl is correct here. Learn to start without power. Learn to keep a finger on the brakes to cut power for low speed maneuvers. Or start with throttle before pedaling. When you get used to the ebike, you will eventually be riding a little faster, and it will seem OK. My first ebike felt like that, but I got used to it, and now it seems slow.

EDIT: Didn't realize Aventons need the pedals to spin before the throttle works?. On a 750W ebike? Crazy.

However, I won't stand for it on newer ebikes. In my last case, I swapped in a better behaved controller with a cadence sensor. Required a new display. Cheaap, but still complicated, About $100 and I got to draw on years of electrical experience to put it in.

Last edited:
You can install a torque sensor for sure, but have you considered where you are going to plug it in? The controller uses a cadence sensor MUCH differently than it uses a torque sensor. The output from both are not interchangeable.

Then, if the throttle and PAS sensors are not activated until the bike is moving, assuming you were able to hook up a torque sensor, what's to say the bike doesn't need to be moving before that is activated as well?

This thing with the bike must be moving to receive power from anywhere is just starting to roll out on the newest bikes. Makes absolutely no sense here either, as MANY of us use the throttle to get the bike moving while getting our balance. Moving before power is available is a poorly thought out plan I hope the safety advocates choke on....

If there's no way to defeat the movement first thing, I'm afraid I'd advocate for a controller replacement as well - just like Harry suggests above. Maybe a call to Aventon with a request to return the bike or change this "safety feature" off might be in order?

Let them ponder on that plan.... -Al

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand how the PAS is difficult for your wife to handle? Not a criticism, an honest question?!!

I'm trying to understand how the PAS is difficult for your wife to handle? Not a criticism, an honest question?!!
My understanding is she has one of the latest and greatest e-bike safety features. The one where there's no power to the motor until the bike moves - in an attempt to prevent false starts is my guess.

The newest Ultras are coming set up the same way. Though I haven't had the chance to try yet, I believe they're easily defeated/changed in the controller set up.

I am having the same problem. I bought this bike after reading many reviews, some of which complained about the sudden motor power. I was prepared for a rampaging beast. A gentle shove is all it ever is. A surprise at first perhaps. On our second ride my wife almost ran me over in the driveway. Oops. I told her to gently ride the brakes until she was ready for motor power. On the third ride all OK. Seriously, though, this is 750 watts peak power. About 1 horsepower. It seems difficult to believe that an able bodied person would find this scary. Ride it around for a half hour in a big empty parking lot.

It seems difficult to believe that an able bodied person would find this scary.
I have found that some customers have no experience with powered on two wheels. My little 250W rear GD kit came from a woman that thought it way too powerful. We need to remember that there's a large cross-section of Boomers that hadn't ridden in 40-50 years or were never proficient bike riders.

A couple of years ago, I brought our 250W Bafang SWXH bike to Thanksgiving dinner, and a few of uncles and aunts tried it out afterwards. Half the riders almost fell over when the power kicked in. The kids, no problem.

You do get used to it. The incompatibilty comes when you have something like the 500 that is happier going 13 mph, while your friends are 2 mph slower.

Last edited:

I ride on the right of the lane, which for miles and miles has a 3-5" wide 6" deep trench between the berm & the car pavement. steering into that trench would definitely knock me off the seat and probably pitch me over the handle bars too. Proper speed there is about 4 mph. Sometimes the berm narrows down with potholes to 4". The PAS on my $221 ebikeling controller had a minimum speed of 11 mph and a minimum acceleration of 500 W. Abandoned the PAS pickup when I moved motor to the bike shown left. I didn't buy electricity to ride unpowered into a howling headwind for miles and miles. Throttle works but makes my hand tired after 30 minutes.
View bikes like the Aventon a positive danger to operators.
Looking for a chain tension pickup. Somebody said bakelight? If 0-5 v output I could parallel it to the throttle input with a coupla schottky diodes. Switch to shut off the tension pickup. I could design one with a spring, takeup wheel, & photosensor, but if one is commercially available for <$70 would really simplify things.

We need to remember that there's a large cross-section of Boomers that hadn't ridden in 40-50 years or were never proficient bike riders.

True that, and in old age balance and athletics aren't the best. Just take a look at older drivers sometimes, sheesh

The Level used to be a torque sensor bike then they changed it . It was in my low end possible spares but I am a die hard torque sensor guy so which bike is the most similar to this, above avg speed, commuter style with a t sensor?

Last edited:
You're familiar with the Rize line up aren't you?

Question worthy of it's own topic/new question. May get lost here....

You can install a torque sensor for sure, but have you considered where you are going to plug it in? The controller uses a cadence sensor MUCH differently than it uses a torque sensor. The output from both are not interchangeable.

Then, if the throttle and PAS sensors are not activated until the bike is moving, assuming you were able to hook up a torque sensor, what's to say the bike doesn't need to be moving before that is activated as well?

This thing with the bike must be moving to receive power from anywhere is just starting to roll out on the newest bikes. Makes absolutely no sense here either, as MANY of us use the throttle to get the bike moving while getting our balance. Moving before power is available is a poorly thought out plan I hope the safety advocates choke on....

If there's no way to defeat the movement first thing, I'm afraid I'd advocate for a controller replacement as well - just like Harry suggests above. Maybe a call to Aventon with a request to return the bike or change this "safety feature" off might be in order?

Let them ponder on that plan.... -Al
👎

Grin sells a unit that consist of a BB assembly (replaces the shaft for the pedals), and their Cycle Analyst display. It read the force on the pedals and converts it to a toggle signal. Your controller need to have a throtttle input. Quite complicated, expensive, and out of stock anyway. https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/torque-sensors.html

There are a few bikes that have overly strong level 1 pedal assist. BigAl is correct here. Learn to start without power. Learn to keep a finger on the brakes to cut power for low speed maneuvers. Or start with throttle before pedaling. When you get used to the ebike, you will eventually be riding a little faster, and it will seem OK. My first ebike felt like that, but I got used to it, and now it seems slow.

EDIT: Didn't realize Aventons need the pedals to spin before the throttle works?. On a 750W ebike? Crazy.

However, I won't stand for it on newer ebikes. In my last case, I swapped in a better behaved controller with a cadence sensor. Required a new display. Cheaap, but still complicated, About $100 and I got to draw on years of electrical experience to put it in.
I just received 2 new Aventon Aventures last week. Throttle works on both without need to spin pedals. Throttle alone is a great way to start, especially when starting up a hill.

Has anyone done a 1 for 1 swap, cadence for torque, on the Aventure? What bottom bracket did you use?

Has anyone done a 1 for 1 swap, cadence for torque, on the Aventure? What bottom bracket did you use?
Have you looked to see if your controller is/can be set up for torque sensing?

Back