Looking for Bafang Ultra tuning software

Dmitri

Hey, can anyone share the tuning software for the Bafang Ultra (G510) drive? I know that Frey gives it to its customers, but I bought my Ultra without the bike. Thanks!

Must have best account. See coupon for $10 off. Software download too.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Luna claims it won’t work, but if you can get a besst account....

Must have best account. See coupon for $10 off. Software download too.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Luna claims it won’t work, but if you can get a besst account....
This is definitely not what I'm looking for. I already have the programming cable (just a serial-USB interface adapter), what I'm after is the software. It's a piece of software very similar to that for the BBS* series motors, but has the additional Torque page.

This is definitely not what I'm looking for. I already have the programming cable (just a serial-USB interface adapter), what I'm after is the software. It's a piece of software very similar to that for the BBS* series motors, but has the additional Torque page.
THAT is the programming method as I understand it, for that series of motors. If you know different please enlighten us? Bafang has never liked users tweaking programming. I’m of the opinion they’ve just made it more difficult for end users. Not unlike Their competition.

THAT is the programming method as I understand it, for that series of motors. If you know different please enlighten us? Bafang has never liked users tweaking programming. I’m of the opinion they’ve just made it more difficult for end users. Not unlike Their competition.
The standard tool for BBSHD series motors is called BafangConfigTool and is actually freely available. I have no trouble finding that. Problem is, G510 also has throttle control settings, which is why there is a different tool — the tool that Frey provides their customers. It's an almost-identical piece of software. That's what I'm after.

“Advanced controller programming:

This drive cannot be programmed like the other Bafang mid-drives unfortunately. It uses the Bafang dealer tool called the BESST. If you get your hand on it with a dealer license you can but you wont be able to change anything as you would need the firmware file. So don't buying one!

Also changing the controller will require a BESST tools with dealer access to calibrate the new controller to the motor”

There was some software posted. Frey had to release their vendor log in, no other way... see the review on the page I linked.

The standard tool for BBSHD series motors is called BafangConfigTool and is actually freely available.
I‘ve been supporting BBSxx kits and customers since December 2015. BTW there are several improved versions of the Bafang config tool. Bafang clumsy Chinglish version was a bit frustrating. I never transitioned to the new drives simply because the business model changed with their introduction. So far no one has cracked the access, or at least I’ve not found a way.

Interesting. The doc file is from 2016. Are all the dealers wrong? What were you able to change?

I’m guessing that link is from Karl Gesslein’s site, and I’ve seen ppl mention this version is not up-o-date. What that means in practical terms — not sure.

Here is the back story:

Last edited:
Here is the back story:
OK I see, the Ultra Max still used the same method as the BBSxx series, the quote I found from Luna refers to the latest motors and their needing the Besst device along with a dealer log in. My bad. We don't sell parts or support any drives beyond the BBSxx series. I apologize for missing that detail!

The Bafang software sucks IMHO but it gets the job done. Get yourself an EggRider - can do everything the Bafang software does except from your phone.
99% of EggRider issues are customer related. Some functions are a bit fussy and it seems us older fellas have a hard time with updating the firmware and get frustrated by the details. They sell really well, but take some commitment and patience. There's no competition doing anything like it. But Bafang software is glitchy as hell and a real challenge for the developers. Every single issue other than a warranty claim has been with fellas like me. Due to a lack of general app savvy.

The key with EggRider is to make sure to keep your app and firmware up-to-date. For example, my Android OS recently updated which meant all my apps wanted to update themselves (including the EggRider app). At that point the app had problems talking to the EggRider. I then updated the EggRider firmware which resolved the issue.

I just got an Eggrider v2 and cannot update its firmware. The instructions fail at step 12. I have the current version of the Eggrider app and nRF Connect, but nRF does not do what the update instructions claim.

Without updated firmware, I cannot activate my Eggrider and therefore cannot use the iOS app with the pathetically maimed Eggrider.

I just got an Eggrider v2 and cannot update its firmware. The instructions fail at step 12. I have the current version of the Eggrider app and nRF Connect, but nRF does not do what the update instructions claim.

Without updated firmware, I cannot activate my Eggrider and therefore cannot use the iOS app with the pathetically maimed Eggrider.
Go to their Facebook page. The developers offer direct support.

I have gone to eggrider's facebook page. I hope I passed the entrance exam.
George is a swell fella. The only issue, iMO, is gettingnusers to understand it’s a work in progress. Sometimes a big f,ustrsting, but a company commit to debeoping the best solutions. I typically try to vet customers. Because therebix alesrning curve. But no one has a product even close to the sophistication and features. Add incredible support and it’s a real winner.

George is a swell fella. The only issue, iMO, is gettingnusers to understand it’s a work in progress. Sometimes a big f,ustrsting, but a company commit to debeoping the best solutions. I typically try to vet customers. Because therebix alesrning curve. But no one has a product even close to the sophistication and features. Add incredible support and it’s a real winner.

Got enough info from the EggRider facebook group to keep trying, and I eventually succeeded in getting everything to work a couple of weeks ago.

The EggRider display and app are way better than the Bafang display. I could suggest (and did) minor improvements. Anyway, no functionality or convenience was lost, and much was gained.

The EggRider and its app are frequently updated. That is good and also a pain. The good part is that they get better in response to users' experience. The bad part is that you have to keep up with the updates. Or else. Importantly, the firmware and the app must be in synch. Updating the app is painless; updating the firmware is painful and has many steps, some of which may not work.

I have a Garmin (formerly DeLorme) inReach. I have had to update its firmware from time to time. It is easy. I hope the same for the EggRider's firmware.

Back