Looking for a step through with throttle and 28mph pedal assist

Mikaylablossoms

Hi thanks for reading. I’ve done a fair bit of research and test rode my first ebikes today (Electra go and Giant LaFree 2). I’m so committed to getting an ebike now they’re so amazing.

My situation, I live in a city and am looking for a something fully equipped for relaxed riding and using to go shopping or visit parks. I really like the relaxed upright beach cruiser style. I’m a 27 year old disabled transgender woman, 6’2” tall. My area is so dense with stop signs and red lights. Also hills. Basically I’m looking for something good for the environment that I can use to get around town without being restricted to bus schedules or Uber’s and a way for me to get groceries from the supermarket to my apartment. I figured front and rear basket plus pannier bags should be enough for that. If I could do some postmates deliveries on the side, that’s a plus ?

Both of the bikes I tested were -very- annoying to stop and go at intersections. And it feels harsh on my knees or to avoid it I shift to a really low gear to get going, but thanks to motor assist I fly back up to speed and have to shift up like 5 times in a row and then I’m at the next intersection and have to start over.

That’s why I’m really looking for a throttle. Something to start at lights and stop signs or on all these hills. Primarily I’d like to rely on 28mph pedal assist. On the bikes I tested, I felt like I reached 20mph and was already in the highest gear with my cadence too high to go faster. And I just wanted to go faster lol. I didn’t feel that either of them were strong enough. One was a Bosch active mid drive and the other was a giant SyncDrive life.

I really need suggestions. So far I think I’m leaning most towards an electric bike company model S, but it only having one gear worries me and I can’t find any shops around here that test ride rear hub motors. I’ll look at any suggestions but I’m really prioritizing something cute. I want people to see me and think I look good. Another bike I liked the look of was the Electra loft go, and I know it doesn’t have a throttle, but it had that internal gearing system so I could just shift down at intersections and maybe something like that would be alright. but I have the same worries about it being a bit weaker since it uses the same Bosch active motor. I’d like to have battery integrated lights, front and rear racks, full fenders, and comfy stuff like that. Thank you!

I have had my Model S for two years with no issues. Has plenty of power (1300 watts for short bursts) to get you going from a stop. They will add gears if you want but really do not think they are needed. You can also choose the gearing for single speed to be a little higher if you want. I use the throttle to get going because the standard gear I would say is like a 12 speed set to 12 so very difficult to get going but great at higher speed. Price has gone up some over the last two years. You spoke about running to stores, keep one eye on bike because others will want it also. Good luck with your search, ebikes are great.

Pace 500. All the way. Won't find a 28 mph with throttle ebike for a better price, and none with any better components at that price. Yes you can pay a lot more to get better components, but it's going to be at least $600 more before you notice any difference from those components.

Very happy with my Magnum Metro. (The white one) IMG_6034.JPG
I'm 6', 185#

Back