Longest Ride Yet! - 53.2 miles - base 2016/16 Turbo

Douglas Ruby

Region
USA
City
Groton
Just got back from my longest ride yet on my 2015/16 base Turbo with 468Wh battery. I had a very nice ride with my daughter around the Massachusets/NH border just west of Nashua. Riding conditions could not have been better. According to my Garmin 1000 and Strava, I went 53.2 miles at an average speed of 15.6 mph. The total climb was 2,845 feet. I started with a fully charged battery, rode in ECO40 the entire distance (never hit the Turbo button at all) and finished with 12% battery left. This suggests that under similar conditions, my max range at ECO40 is around 60 miles or so.

The new 11-speed Shimano XT performed almost flawlessly. I had to adjust the low gear stop screw to get the derailleur properly aligned with the 42 tooth cog. I also need to adjust the chain guide up front so that the chain does not hit it in 1st gear. Other than that, things were perfect.

I don't know if you can see the Strava report, but take a look here: https://www.strava.com/activities/699305192

Doug

Last edited:
Congrats on your long ride. It sounds like you have the Turbo setup well. I looked at the Strava report, very interesting. I am about to order a cell phone mount for my Turbo Levo so I can use the Mission Control app and create Strava reports. My reports won't be very interesting since I will be riding much slower and not as far. I am having fun and that's why I ride.

Very nice ride, @Douglas Ruby. Today, I did my longest ride so far: 33 miles, mostly in Eco50 with 42% remaining on my battery. I don't have anything close to the 2845 ft climb in your area. 80% of my ride was dedicated bike paths with mostly smooth flat surfaces. It was a pretty windy day, but Minneapolis bike paths on weekends and holidays are quite busy, so average speed was pretty low. Most of my ride was under 15mph.

I haven't felt the need to change my gearing at all. As I said, things here are pretty flat and any big hills are usually quite short.

@ragtopjoek nothin' wrong with slower rides =). That's the best way to take in the scenery!

Back