Long Tail for Tall Biker

Bikin_in_LA

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a long tail e-bike in the next 4-6 weeks. I'm looking seriously at the Yuba Spicy Curry and the Xtracycle Edgerunner 10e.

I'm about 6'8, 200 lbs, and have an inseam of about 35.5". Looking at the Edgerunner 10e, it looks like I should be OK based on my inseam, although it's less certain based on their height measurements. I contacted Yuba by email and they were non-committal (although they thought it would work for me) and suggested I try a bike out (which is hard to do given where I live).

Do any tall riders have experience with either of these bikes? Or another bike that they would suggest?

Here's what I'm trying to optimize for:
  • At least 15-20 mile range.
  • Good for a tall person.
  • Carrying two (and occasionally three) kids (5 and younger). I like the 20" back wheel on the Spicy Curry and Edgerunner because one of my kids hates being on the back of my 64cm bike -- so I need to keep him low to the ground to keep him comfortable.
  • Ability to make grocery runs. We're trying to be a one-car family.
  • Electric motor to assist with hill-climbing.
  • Keeping the price to about $5K or lower.
  • Something that won't be harmed by biking over beach bike paths (salty air, sand on the path, etc.).
I've also looked at some of the long john bikes like the Bullitt and CEMTA, but I like the versatility of the long tail for when I'm riding by myself without significant cargo (which will be about half the time).

Any advice or thoughts appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a long tail e-bike in the next 4-6 weeks. I'm looking seriously at the Yuba Spicy Curry and the Xtracycle Edgerunner 10e.

I'm about 6'8, 200 lbs, and have an inseam of about 35.5". Looking at the Edgerunner 10e, it looks like I should be OK based on my inseam, although it's less certain based on their height measurements. I contacted Yuba by email and they were non-committal (although they thought it would work for me) and suggested I try a bike out (which is hard to do given where I live).

Do any tall riders have experience with either of these bikes? Or another bike that they would suggest?

• Carrying two (and occasionally three) kids (5 and younger). I like the 20" back wheel on the Spicy Curry and Edgerunner because one of my kids hates being on the back of my 64cm bike -- so I need to keep him low to the ground to keep him comfortable.
  • Something that won't be harmed by biking over beach bike paths (salty air, sand on the path, etc.).
I've also looked at some of the long john bikes like the Bullitt and CEMTA, but I like the versatility of the long tail for when I'm riding by myself without significant cargo (which will be about half the time).

Can you give these guys a call?

https://www.splendidcycles.com/

and https://familycyclery.com/

These folks specialize in Cargo bikes and can help you with the process of outfitting one.

The Felt Bruhaul is another bike worth taking a look at. This bike is currently retailing for below $3,500, though both front and rear wheels are 24" in size. You can view Court's full length review of this bike here.

Hi all,

Hi all,

What did you end up choosing?

I’m in a similar situation (6’5”, 200 lbs, 36 inseam) and feel like the options are a large size xtracycle or an xl big dummy with a bolt on motor like a stoke monkey.

My local store has an 8e that is appealing but I wonder how much the extra inches of a true large frame would come into play.

I managed to ride an Xtracycle for a few blocks with a longer seatpost installed. It seemed to work for me -- I'm trying to arrange for a longer test ride.

I'm prioritizing the smaller rear tire over the large frame, which is why I haven't really looked at Big Dummy.

Back