Long distance....3,000+ miles in 30-45 days

Johnkey

I'm a new member trying to get caught up to speed on the technology and options out there. I am planning a Maine to Florida trip starting late September this year, and am trying to find the right bike. I'm assuming I'd bring along a few spare batteries, possible a small generator, and haul a pack on the rare of the bike of 30-40lbs. I am planning on camping about half the time, and airbnb'ing the rest.
I would appreciate any recommendations with regards to comfort for distance travel, and bikes suited for the distance I am attempting to cover (100-150 miles per day of transit) -- I don't bicycle much so may be relying on the assist a fair bit until i whip myself into shape.
Appreciate any recommendations on suitable rides -- I'm 5'7" 160lbs, 37 y.o, in average shape, and planning on carrying a 30-40lb pack plus perhaps a small generator, if that helps.

I'm a new member trying to get caught up to speed on the technology and options out there. I am planning a Maine to Florida trip starting late September this year, and am trying to find the right bike. I'm assuming I'd bring along a few spare batteries, possible a small generator, and haul a pack on the rare of the bike of 30-40lbs. I am planning on camping about half the time, and airbnb'ing the rest.
I would appreciate any recommendations with regards to comfort for distance travel, and bikes suited for the distance I am attempting to cover (100-150 miles per day of transit) -- I don't bicycle much so may be relying on the assist a fair bit until i whip myself into shape.
Appreciate any recommendations on suitable rides -- I'm 5'7" 160lbs, 37 y.o, in average shape, and planning on carrying a 30-40lb pack plus perhaps a small generator, if that helps. As far as budget, I could spend up to $5k or so on the bike and spare batteries...although might consider pricier options if they seemed especially well suited to other unique adventures

I don't know if the electric part makes too much sense. I ran across this gentleman this morning. We were talking about how to avoid travelling on the Interstate highway, when there is no obvious alternative. They don't really want bikes on the Interstate. Anyway, he started in NYC 60 days ago, and has gone 3,000 miles. His bike is not that fancy, a Surly. He likes Marathon tires a lot. I'm not sure there is enough advantage to electric, with all the complications. This cyclist has done this trip and a trip across Europe to Instanbul (he's French). Not many problems, just a couple of flats. There is a website for cross country bikers, mostly lodging oriented. You need a fair amount of gear but it's certainly possible to do what you want to do.

French CC Cyclist.jpg

Check out Marissa Muller who went from CA to DC (3,276 miles) using a solar panel trailer. The trailer live-charged her Specialized Turbo S.

One leg of her trip, a sunny day, she went 100 miles and still had 70% charge on her battery. She starts talking about the bike and the trailer setup around 9m10s.

Also her blog:
http://www.marissamuller.com/blog/

Appreciate any recommendations on suitable rides -- I'm 5'7" 160lbs, 37 y.o, in average shape, and planning on carrying a 30-40lb pack plus perhaps a small generator, if that helps.

I'd say the first thing to figure out is how much money you want to spend. You can get a $500 electric bike all the way up to a $15,000 electric bike (if not more in some cases). You then need to look at the weight limits on the bikes and then compare that to your loaded weight - how much is that generator going to weigh? Batteries are also heavy and I'm not sure if those fit into your 30-40 pound weight above. By way of an example, my iZip Zuma is only rated for something like 243 - 253 pounds of weight. There are a few companies that make actual cargo electric bikes, that may be something to look into as a possibility (https://electricbikereview.com/category/cargo/). If I was hauling that much stuff, I'd probably look into a trailer and then you still have to watch your weight/towing capacity.

It seems like new bikes are showing up daily and the tech is advancing fairly quickly, so there is a lot to look at and this is as good a place to start as any.

@Donny I like the Xtracycle EdgeRunner 10E. I am drawn to the loading capacity on the rear and the many uses that might enable, as well as the ability to easily swap out the battery for another, and reviews in general. Thoughts?

@Donny I like the Xtracycle EdgeRunner 10E. I am drawn to the loading capacity on the rear and the many uses that might enable, as well as the ability to easily swap out the battery for another, and reviews in general. Thoughts?

As someone who just completed 5100 mile ride in 34 days, I can share a few things.
While Xtracycle 10E is a great cargo bike, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Let me elucidate quickly.
  1. That puny 400Whr battery is just not enough. There will be innumerable obstacles like headwinds, road construction, storms, hills etc. You need at least 1000whr to do 3000+ miles in 30 days.
    you may need to dramatically lower the cargo wt you're carrying. heavy cargo makes your bike like a mini parachute. It kills your range and loading and unloading everyday becomes a hassle.

2. While 10E is a great bike, it is limited to 20mph and you will find that very annoying. 20" wheels are designed to carry loads but not great for maintaining speed. 26" wheels are a minimum.
    Most bikepackers use 27.5" and + tires sizes.
    Also, you should consider a suspension seatpost because it doesn't have a suspension. Here is a great touring bike with all the bells and whistles.
    25_1.jpg

3. If you can manage that distance with 400Whr battery, you most certainly are in a different league of athletic ability and may need the assist at all.
I would also suggest you to look at Juiced Cargo ODK with 32 Ah battery and Grin cycle satiator charger for quick charging.
Actually, if you're serious about the ride, I might be able to connect you with a manufacturer who may be able to partially sponsor your ride.

What you're thinking is awesome. Do it. It will change the way you think about everything (bikes, life, your abilities.) Here is a great channel about bicycle touring: https://www.youtube.com/user/bicycletouringpro
Making mistakes is common and you will learn a ton in the process. Good luck with the trip.

Love the bikes at Riese and Muller esp the Charger HS models. Unfortunately another brand we can't get in the US (?).

How many miles a day are you riding NOW?
Are you in great shape NOW?
If not able to ride 50 miles easily, this is plain NUTZ!
People that aren't riding regularly (daily or close) CAN"T ride multiple 100 mile days. Motor or not. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
As someone who just completed 5100 mile ride in 34 days, I can share a few things.
While Xtracycle 10E is a great cargo bike, you may be setting yourself up for disappointment. Let me elucidate quickly.

What you're thinking is awesome. Do it. It will change the way you think about everything (bikes, life, your abilities.) Here is a great channel about bicycle touring: https://www.youtube.com/user/bicycletouringpro
Making mistakes is common and you will learn a ton in the process. Good luck with the trip.

Ravi - "he doesn't ride much"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's going to whip himself into shape ON THE RIDE!! with 6-10 hrs a day on a bike seat.......................
You're really encouraging this?
no way in he!!.

Last edited:
Love the bikes at Riese and Muller esp the Charger HS models. Unfortunately another brand we can't get in the US (?).

I'm working on bringing those bikes here to the US.
Takes lots of time. Currently, I am most excited about a bike that is going to be released this Interbike.
In my experience, it is probably the most well thought out commuter bike. I will be writing a detailed article very soon.

I'm working on bringing those bikes here to the US.
Takes lots of time. Currently, I am most excited about a bike that is going to be released this Interbike.
In my experience, it is probably the most well thought out commuter bike. I will be writing a detailed article very soon.

Wonderful news on the Riesse and Muller. No spoilers on the new commuter bike prior to your article being published? Given that I am shopping for a commuter bike I eagerly await your article.

The Riese and Muller Delite GX Rohloff HS would be around $7200USD (converted from Euro) with 2 x 500Wh batteryies, Rohloff 14 speed and Gates carbon drive. Ooooh. Cool. Ravi, let6 me know when you have data!

I find it funny that Bosch's solution to doubling mileage is to add a second battery because it really is that simple. For shorter trips just use the one battery and for longer add the other. This procedure can be done to any e bike rather than getting one monster battery that you have to lug around all the time even for short trips and cost is close to the same.

I have a 52v 12.5ah battery powering a 1000w front hub direct drive motor (9c w/statorade) that depending on my mood/time for a ride gets me 30 miles at 25mph avg. spd.-20wh/mile and 60 miles at 13mph avg. spd. and 11 wh/mile in varied terrain with hills and headwinds. Wind resistance at speeds above 20 mph even without a headwind can eat up the Ah's pretty fast, also the more weight you add to the overall bicycle configuration comes in to play a bit. My plan after 600 miles using the one battery is to get a smaller battery like the 6Ah Luna one and another 12ish Ah rack mount battery further down the road. The reason being that sometimes I could get by with only the 6Ah battery on board going 20 or so miles at 13+mph in town. With the 12.5AH in combination with that will get me close to 100 miles if I am frugal and don't hit too many hills/headwinds but still with a higher avg. spd. than I can produce on my own. The rack battery would only be added for long distance efforts which at this time I have no plans for but you never know.

I wouldn't attempt any long distance trip without a comprehensive readout like the Cycle Analyst also supplied ebikes.ca.. The gauges used by other companies do not give you enough information as to the status of your battery charge and amount of wh you are using at any given time which you can use to calculate by simple math the distance you can travel at the rate of speed the amount of Ah it will take you to get there. Also at least a 5ah charger if your battery will handle that type of charge. The 12.5 I have now is not rated for more than a 3Ah charge.

Pedaling along so that you are putting effort in to the system of course is the most efficient way of stretching your mileage and I personally pedal all the time and have gearing to support my effort and typically I see between 100 and 250wh gains from doing so.

The Riese and Muller Delite GX Rohloff HS would be around $7200USD (converted from Euro) with 2 x 500Wh batteryies, Rohloff 14 speed and Gates carbon drive. Ooooh. Cool. Ravi, let6 me know when you have data!
No need to convert from Euro now. R&M has their US pages up and running and are posted with USD prices. Propel Bikes in NY also has them posted at their website.

Back